Look what I Found

Help Support Ruger Forum:

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
I made a decision that I wanted a pistol to do some deer hunting with next season. I remember a friend of mine I hunted with back in the early 90's brought a stainless Ruger Redhawk to camp chambered in the 41 mag. It was beautiful and I remember drooling over it for the entire time he was there. Life got busy, we parted ways, and it's all just a memory now. Fast forward to today and here I am wanting to fulfill an itch that has spanned over 20 years. So my quest began, looking for a Ruger Redhawk. I figured the 41 mag would be a reach since they seem to have a cult like following and were not big shakers and movers back in the day. So, I set my sights on a Redhawk in the 44 mag. Long story short, along my travels I come across this. A blue 41 Mag, Redhawk with rings but no box. It has a little wear on the bluing on the muzzle and a small scratch on the left side but everything else seems in order. I couldn't believe my eyes as I am holding it in my hands. Of course it came home with me. I think the trigger might have been worked because it is by far the smoothest trigger I have ever felt on a revolver! I hope to shoot it this weekend to see how it runs. According to the serial # it was made in 1987. I do a little reloading so I will be able to cut some cost there on the ammo.
Any thoughts on preferred grips, hand loads, bullets for deer size game, holsters, or even the history of the gun would be interesting to hear. Thanks guys.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Wow...nice find! I'm kind of jealous because I too have always wanted a nice .41 mag...not a bad looking bike, either!

427mach1

Blackhawk
I've tried the full-size Hogue grips, the Hogue Bantam grip, and finally settled on the Uncle Mike's grips, which are available at Numrich. The full-size Hogues shot very nicely but I couldn't get past the looks. The Bantams looked really cool but the exposed backstrap transferred recoil to the hand. The Uncle Mikes look good and absorb recoil very well.

For plinking rounds, I load 210 grain plated bullets with 9.7 grains of Unique, right around 1200 - 1250 fps and very mild shooting. For bear country, I load 265 grain Cast Performance LWFNGC with a near max load of 'Lil Gun, chronographing right at 1400 fps. W296 or H110 would work equally well. For deer, I would suggest any 200 - 220 grain soft points if you can find them, with either 'Lil Gun or W296. Some lighter hardcast bullets would work, too.

Redhawk_zps2b1ab960.jpg

wapiti22

Blackhawk
I found a 5.5 inch stainless 41 mag Redhawks online a few months ago. I talked the seller into shipping it and now it's mine. It lives right alongside my OM 41 mag Blackhawk, my NM 41 mag Blackhawk and my Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 41 mag.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I tried the Pachmayr and Hogue grips but found the Uncle Mikes to be more comfortable.
I have them on all of my Redhawks.

Latest posts