Longgun damage for insurance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I was almost killed in a car wreck almost 3 weeks ago, and two of the casualties of the wreck were a couple of long guns in the rifle rack behind me.

Both of the guns flew out of the rack and ended up on the floorboard in the front. My Marlin Model 1895 45-70 has a big ding on the barrel, in front of the front sight, near the muzzle.

My Mossberg Model 500 has a gouge on the side of the receiver.

I can post pictures later, maybe.

What I am wondering is this: what should I request for damages from the insurance company of the lady who caused the wreck?

DLH

contender

Ruger Guru
ABSOLUTELY! And,, don't forget to ask for "diminished value" as well if they fix your vehicle, and it had never been in a wreck. Talk to your insurance agent for more ideas as to how to collect more $$. (If they don't want to help you,, politely tell them that when it comes time for a renewal,, you'll be shopping for a new agent/company.)

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
The 78 year old woman who pulled a uturn in front of me on a 2 lane highway while I was traveling 55+ died as the result of her mistake. Her insurance company is being a pain in the butt. I missed the last 2 weeks of elk season because I was hurt and my truck was totaled
  • , and the adjuster offered me $500 for loss of use of my pickup.

Friday is 4 weeks since the wreck.

It looks like I am going to have to fight this out with a lawyer.

DLH

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Hate to say it but a lawyer is the way to go. As far as the guns go I would be seeking full value. Who knows what parts may have been stressed by the harsh treatment. Also I would stop asking for any advice online. Never know what a scumball insurance company may dig up and try to use against you. Don't need them finding something that they could try and twist into you looking to commit fraud. I have been screwed by both insurance companies and lawyers. Still undecided which I hate more.

contender

Ruger Guru
By all means,, contact a lawyer,, and your insurance carrier to let them know you aren't being treated fairly. It's a shame someone lost their life,, but mistakes can sometimes cause a lot of pain & suffering.
Don't settle for anything else than what you feel you are entitled to.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Never, I mean "NEVER" deal directly with the other party's insurance company. You will come out on the losing end every time. I learned that the hardway many years ago! The last claim I had was a 16 year old on a cell phone that went out of control at a high rate of speed and smashed through my yard tearing up everything in sight when I lived in New Mexico. If it hadn't have been for two huge landscaping rocks and chain link fence posts that I had burried in two feet of concrete, she would have wiped out the side of my house! I arrived on the scene with cops all over the place, a crime scene tape around the accident and the police wanting to know just who I was, driving into my own driveway! The girl had fled from the scene. It wasn't long after that the father showed up wanting to deal directly with me on the damage. I said thanks, but no thanks and would not even talk to his insurance company. I went strictly through "my" agent on the case and came out very well in the end. Enough said about "dealing" with the "other" insurance company. Simply put. "DON'T DO IT"!..............................Dick :idea:

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah on that. Dealing with the aftermath is my agent's job. After all, it's him that's the professional....that's why I pay them over-priced insurance payments.

DGW

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
It's always nice when the insurance company cooperates with you, BUT if they start playing hardball it might be time to mention to somebody (your attorney?) that the thought of that lady dying makes you physically ill every time you drive past that spot, and you're having bad dreams.
The accident wasn't your fault, and if the insurance company wants to start a fight, tell them you're ready and willing.

Definetly seek full New Value of your Marlin and mossberge. As for the other persons insurance company get a Lawyer and sue them for as much as you feel it's worth. Don't forget to add in the lawyers cut. ps

Flash

Buckeye
Don't piss around, just forward the claims adjuster's phone number to your attorney and tell him you want pain and suffering compensation. You'll get a reply within hours after his call. Within insurance companies, "Attorney" is a buzz word for sure.

Latest posts