Long term review of my .22lr LCP2 as a pocket pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moparfreak

Bearcat
My FFL is an ex Police Chief in South Jersey. He tells me that what they are looking for to qualify for a CCW Permit is equivalent to the same requirements a Retired Police Officer has to go through, and that's the way he is setting up his CCW classes. He thinks that people who don't use law enforcement rated instructors may have problems with their permits, either in qualifying for them or in case of actually having to use them. An RPO has to qualify with the gun he will carry, shooting at ranges from 1 to 25 yards, in regular and low light conditions. The minimum caliber acceptable is .380 ACP. No rimfire; no .25 or .32 auto.

With so much uncertainty in exactly what the State wants (when they don't really want CCW at all), I think I will follow his lead on this.
California is the same way. .380 smallest Caliber-for ccw and you qualify with your permit gun(s).

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
As I understand (so far), your New Jersey CCW is tied to the gun you qualify with. If you want to have options in what you carry, you must qualify for EACH GUN SEPARATELY. I'm not sure if you can bring several guns when you start a carry class (Paying additional fees for each) and qualify with each on that one classroom/test session, or if you have to take another complete course for each gun.

The complete set of rules is still not finalized, but the bill, A4769, that they are proposing is TOTALLY RIDICULUS. Pretty much the only places you can carry are private property, WITH THE EXPRESS CONSENT OF THE OWNER. You cannot even carry in your own car! You would be required to remove your gun from it's holster (No pocket or purse carry) and secure it in your trunk. Of course, while the gun is in your hand during that transfer, you would be guilty of "brandishing". If you carry while walking your dog, and set foot on someone's lawn to clean up after it, without getting the homeowner's permission first, you would be guilty of a level 3 felony, good for 3-5 years of jail time and a $15,000 fine.

Also, your permit is good for 2 years, then you would have to go through the whole process again, maybe they could skip the finger printing, but the 4 references, the background check, the class and the qualifying shooting would all have to be redone.

Last edited:

buckaroo

Banned
Also, your permit is good for 2 years, then you would have to go through the whole process again, maybe they could skip the finger printing, but the 4 references, the background check, the class and the qualifying shooting would all have to be redone.

Have you figured out the game yet ? You make it difficult and expensive so the average schmuck doesn't get a permit. They don't want what they view as low-information people carrying guns. That's only part of it. On the surface it gives the appearance that New Jersey now has access to conceal carry. One must remember that a Republican in New Jersey is no better than a Democrat in California.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Of course! They don't want you to carry a gun, so they make the problems of getting and using a CCW far more numerous, and possibly only slightly less serious, than your reasons for why you would want to have one. They KNOW it's all unconstitutional, but the time and money it will take to get it all struck down is their entire purpose in proposing such an elaborate list of "sensitive places", qualifying conditions and carry restrictions.

The possible destruction of your life, wealth and legal status is your punishment for having the audacity to think you could exercise your RIGHT in opposition of their AUTHORITY!

I'm still interested in seeing the underside of the slide, the rails, the breech face, locking areas etc

Inside the mag well would be interesting to see as well

With 20k rounds through it, there's definitely a story to tell with those images

Forty-Four Fan

Bearcat
My FFL is an ex Police Chief in South Jersey. He tells me that what they are looking for to qualify for a CCW Permit is equivalent to the same requirements a Retired Police Officer has to go through, and that's the way he is setting up his CCW classes. He thinks that people who don't use law enforcement rated instructors may have problems with their permits, either in qualifying for them or in case of actually having to use them. An RPO has to qualify with the gun he will carry, shooting at ranges from 1 to 25 yards, in regular and low light conditions. The minimum caliber acceptable is .380 ACP. No rimfire; no .25 or .32 auto.

With so much uncertainty in exactly what the State wants (when they don't really want CCW at all), I think I will follow his lead on this.
Yes, NJ is a trainwreck. Prior to the Bruen decision I believe there were less than 100 non-LE CCW permits in the entire state. The idea that you have to qualify to LE standards is also nonsense - youre not a LEO nor do you have their duties. LE qualification is solely about liability for the agency, and you don't work for them.

But again, New Jersey.

chuckbowen

Bearcat
The reliability of mine was crap when i first bought it. I had to replace the springs with galloway springs...and the recoil spring with m carbo. also had to take a pin file to the barrell to get rid of all the burrs. after that, and fire 200 or so rounds through it ..it functions. Ruger should do better. I would test any gun you plan to use as self defense weapon. Don't rely on a reputation. Also....the quality of 22 ammo can be spotty. use Cci mini mag round nose bullets.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Finally got to the range with my LCP II .22.

50 rounds CCI mini mags round nose. Had a few failure to extras but not too concerned--first time at range. While not shooting just for accuracy, accuracy at 7 yards was acceptable. Sights will likely get some paint.

50 rounds of CCI Stingers. No extraction problems. No other function problems. WOW FLASH--- Again while not shooting primarily for accuracy, bullets were hitting all over the target.

I'd wager that sight acquisition after firing a round, such as one can get with the poor sights on the LCP, with the lower flash mini mags vs the high flash stingers was part of the overall general accuracy difference. Not to mention the barrel length and such.

I'll shoot a lot more mini mags for sure. Work on shooting skills and accuracy--again keeping in mind what the LCP is say vs a MK IV--and paint the sights.

I'll try some of the Punch ammo down the line eventually as well.

As for a small CCW--one choses what one is comfortable with and as has been discussed within the laws of your state. If my LCP II .22 proves its reliability to me--then for me its a reasonable choice. But than again I could use my Glock 43 or NAA Sidewinder with .22mag. And then there are the larger choices as well.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
My Beretta 21A had found its way into my pocket on occasion when dressed very lightly in the summer. At the arms length ranges it would be employed it can( most likely) get the job done.

krusty505

Bearcat
Couldn't agree more on carrying .22 for self defense. I think people make too much of caliber, but in reality 'a gun is a gun is a gun. The rest is just foolishness.' My problem with the LCP 22lr is its spotty reliability. I've owned 2 of them. The first one went back to Ruger for barrel replacement. It also required the Galloway spring kit to get it reliable. I stupidly let it go because I got into the whole caliber controversy. The second one also went back to Ruger and had the Galloway kit installed, but it still was not reliable, so I got rid of it, too. Now I'm thinking "third time's a charm?" I really like LCP .22lr for all the reasons you stated: cheap and fun to shoot, good enough penetration, easy to get follow up shots, low recoil. My questions are two-fold, if you're willing to still respond to this thread. One, do you think the cerekote version is worth the extra $20 and for me a wait to get it? I feel like the blued Rugers will rust if they get sweat on them, and this would be a gun I run with, so it will get sweaty. Two, if my third one proves to be as unreliable as my second one, would you suggest continuing to send it back to Ruger until they get it sorted or some other solution(s)? I mean, it sounds like you have a cherry one, and I would dearly love to get back into the LCP 22lr if I could get the thing to function.

edm1

Single-Sixer
I didn't know these existed… on my radar now. My problem with 22 for defense is the reliability of the round to go off. Not the size or the gun. If someone shot me in the head with a 22 I'm either gonna be dead or down. I've had many more 22 rounds FTF out of quality guns than centerfire.

krusty505

Bearcat
Couldn't agree more on carrying .22 for self defense. I think people make too much of caliber, but in reality 'a gun is a gun is a gun. The rest is just foolishness.' My problem with the LCP 22lr is its spotty reliability. I've owned 2 of them. The first one went back to Ruger for barrel replacement. It also required the Galloway spring kit to get it reliable. I stupidly let it go because I got into the whole caliber controversy. The second one also went back to Ruger and had the Galloway kit installed, but it still was not reliable, so I got rid of it, too. Now I'm thinking "third time's a charm?" I really like LCP .22lr for all the reasons you stated: cheap and fun to shoot, good enough penetration, easy to get follow up shots, low recoil. My questions are two-fold, if you're willing to still respond to this thread. One, do you think the cerekote version is worth the extra $20 and for me a wait to get it? I feel like the blued Rugers will rust if they get sweat on them, and this would be a gun I run with, so it will get sweaty. Two, if my third one proves to be as unreliable as my second one, would you suggest continuing to send it back to Ruger until they get it sorted or some other solution(s)? I mean, it sounds like you have a cherry one, and I would dearly love to get back into the LCP 22lr if I could get the thing to function.
Finally pulled the trigger on the cerekote version. Ran a box of Aguila Suoer Extra through it yesterday. Had 3-4 FTE, but given my previous experience with these, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this particular one. I'm going to take it out for a longer range session asap and hope it breaks in to good reliability. I love the idea of this pistol, but it's gotta be reliable for me to carry it.

Latest posts