Long projects when we age

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
My wife always tells me not to plan or start long projects but it’s in my nature I know no other way. I’m sure I’ll leave some unfinished business or project that she or my sons will have to deal with when I’m gone.
My latest 2-1/2 yr project has been a tuff one but satisfying. I purchased a 35ft gooseneck trailer a few years ago in Pearl Miss. determined to build a hunting camp that would not turn to mildew or fall apart in a short few years. What it turned into I guess you can call it a tiny house though my definition is a hunting camp / possibly a future retirement home. I still have to finish all window trim and our bedroom when I get it back home but it been a pleasure to stay during our hunts in this winter. My Ram 2500 is definitely overloaded even with super springs installed, I really need a dually to haul it around.

We had a great time this hunting season I enjoyed every minute of it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/RS48F2
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/t2d03b
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/y8cs4k
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/UU5Ujg

gasbag

Blackhawk
Wow.
That is one heck of a nice looking rig.
A lot of work and knowledge went in to that.

As for me......when I wake up my 1st project is breakfast.
After that it is a crap shoot.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
I haven’t run it through a scale yet but plan to when I bring it back home. I believe it to be around 18,000 to 19,000lbs. It gave my Cummins a tough time on a few hills. I added super springs and went up a from 17” rim to 18” so I could get 4080 lb rated tire. Inflated to 80psi they hold up for the 4-1/2 hr tow from home to our camp. Ive been leaving it at our camp through the season so I’ll probably tow it next month. i want to order and install air bags before I tow it again and get rid of that particulate filter and put a tuner in it. That particulate filter has been a problem for awhile now reducing power and it’s expensive to change out.
We hunt in Pickens co about 45 min west of Tuscaloosa Al and live down on the gulf coast.

kmoore

Buckeye
I hope you appreciate hearing this again, VERY NICE!
I once purchased a beach lot with a 1964 28 ft Airstream. It had not been opened or used in 5 years. I spend weeks figuring a way to get it home 140 miles and rebuilt it into a hunting camp trailer. It was so far gone, about the only thing good was the frame. I would have needed to remove the whole body. I gave it away.
You had a vision and got it done.

SamV

Blackhawk
That is an impressive DIY project.
Do you have to do anything extra when framing a house on a flatbed trailer? Seems like you would, since it is subject to 60-70 mph winds while traveling. Plus just the normal road bumps, would probably be extra stress also.
It is a good looking project. Congrats!

Great looking trailer! Wow! Each day I too start all projects with coffee, my neubulizer, and SUDOKU. At my age any project can turn into a long one. I don't hurry anything. It only took me 18 months to tool a leather belt blank. Now the next project will be a guitar strap. It gets finished when it gets finished.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I have numerous "works in progress" as is normal for this place. Things start well but then get stalled due to lack of time, money, or materials. It's certainly nice to finish a project and be able to enjoy the results.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
I am impressed and more than a little envious! That is a wonderful piece of engineering and I hope you use it in good health for many many years.

As for long projects… If you get satisfaction from the process, are you really going to care after you run out of time to finish? I have seen too many elderly patients that simply lost their will to do anything and really have nothing left except to worry about their health. More than a few had shortened their lifespan in doing so. If nothing else tell yourself that if your kids want their inheritance they will have to finish whatever project you have on the drawing board at the moment. So enjoy!

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I thought my projects were ambitious! That is a sweet hunting rig or whatever you choose to do with it.

jgt

Blackhawk
If you check out used freight hauling tractors, You could probably pick up a single axle day cab/cab over tractor for less than a pickup. A 290 cummings with a nine speed would probably last a long time used as a tow vehicle. I have seen them priced much cheaper than dually pickups.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the compliments it has stretched into a longer project than I thought it would. In 2004 I built the log house we live in now in less time than I have in this cabin. I was younger and stronger then too.

As far having to do more for building a house on a flatbed trailer that will hold up to highway speeds. I through bolted all wall plates and floor joists with 3/8” galvanized bolts and washers to the trailer frame. Use deck screws for most all the framing and used metal strapping tying the corners together. Probably over kill but it’s not much different than building codes we have in place due to hurricanes. I wired it for 50 amp RV service but can power everything with 30amps from my little 3500watt hybrid generator if need be.
My only problem so far is trying to insure it no building inspector has signed off on it. The electrical and plumbing I did and I’m not certified or licensed and I’ve found out insurance companies just kind of not return my calls. Ive gotten to the point where I hate paying others for work I can do but that creates other problems sometimes. Lol!

Mus408

Hunter
Let your building imagination run wild...great build!
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 and I've always read where the auto. trans was an issue even in the heavier trucks.
From what you are towing I guess that puts that to rest!

Latest posts