Long Lost Security Six Holster Finally Makes It Home

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
This is kind of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short. It really started last year when I found and purchased a NIB unfired 2-3/4" Security Six with box and papers and all. It was like Christmas to me and I was like a proud Papa, especially when I found an original Melvin Tyler T grip to put on it a few months later. Well to say finding a good holster for a handgun thats been discontinued for thirty something years was challenging is definitely an understatement, especially a left handed one. It was almost impossible as most of you Security Six owners know. I'd tried several different holsters over the months including some made for the S&W K frame, some of them would work, but they just didnt fit right to me. Well I finally found one made for the 2-3/4" Security Six at Natchez Shooters Supply. I called to verify and ordered it and they only had the one in stock. I asked him if they would be getting anymore in and he said he wasn't sure but most likely not. They emailed me with the confirmation and tracking number as usual and heres where thing started to go wrong. Days go by and the day its supposed to be delivered I track the package, It says it was delivered 2 hours earlier and left at the front porch, I was home and didnt hear him knock or ring the bell. I look outside and no package. I call UPS and they tell me that they cant start a trace until the shipper reports it not delivered. I call Natchez and tell them and then call UPS back. I figured that since it was only delivered two hours earlier (somewhere), UPS could contact the driver while he was still on his route. That way it was still fresh and he would know where he made the delivery. They still wouldnt do it until Natchez reported it. I told them the problem with this was that it could be days before they started the trace and by then the driver most likely wouldnt remember and the package would be long gone. Well I finally got them to give me the number to the local distribution center which is almost impossible to do and called them. I fortunately spoke to a firearms enthusiast and he noticed it was from a Shooters Supply and wanted to know exactly what was in the package. I told him a very hard to find left handed holster for a Security Six that I had been looking for for months. He said that he would report it as a firearm part and that it would give it a higher priority. After that I received several phone calls from UPS but no package. One call from a very nice lady from UPS and she actually gave me the addresses of the stops he made in my neighborhood that day. There was three, I went to all three and no holster. I had pretty much given up on it and forgot about it. Well, this morning I get a knock on my door, I look outside and open the door and its UPS with my lost holster. it was just like Christmas again. I know this was a lot to go through for just a holster but honestly, I had put a lot of time and effort into finding a hard to find left handed thumb break holster that would fit a 2-3/4" Security Six. Sometimes its just one of those things us leftys have to go through. Here is what it looks like, it fits like a glove.
DSC00743-1.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I feel your pain .... and pleasure.

I too am a lefty with a Security Six just like yours. Mine rides some in an older G&G pancake holster. It's great for woods walking, keeps the gun "high and tight" to my side and well protected.

Enjoy!

Terry T

Buckeye
Doesnt matter - right or left - when something fits, it FITS! When it don't, it DON'T!
I've put I don't know how many grips on guns and then, all of a sudden - it's there - THE FIT!
Glad UPS came through for you!
Terry T

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
But in the end you have one cool little gun in a perfect packin' rig. And that T-grip is the icing on the cake. Your gun looks polished in the picture. It just looks nicer than usual for some reason. As a fellow lefty I think we should get reperations or something for the hardships we endure. I found a similiar style lefty holster at the flea market for $5. It's S&W marked. Later I got a gun to fit it. A 3" S&W Model 13 .357. It's the perfect carry gun that serves the same purpose as your fine little Ruger.
Congradulations.

toysoldier

Hunter
I scan the holster tables at gun shows, looking for LH holsters for guns I own, or might own. LH stuff is so uncommon, I don't let a lot get past me.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
toysoldier said:
I scan the holster tables at gun shows, looking for LH holsters for guns I own, or might own. LH stuff is so uncommon, I don't let a lot get past me.
I do the same thing. I found an AE Nelson (still in business!) breakfront holster for $7 in a junk box. Left handed. And at the same shop a lefty Myres like new for $5. Your hands will get grimey but you'll find good stuff if you dig enough. Here's those holsters. I quit worrying about finding lefty holsters and just make my own now (bottom).

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the gun and the holster. I have the same gun (Tyler and all but not NIB) and a similiar holster. I need to check my Tyler though as it does not fit all that well. For me, it seems like all the good or at least interesting holsters I find when digging though boxes of junk at shows or shops ARE left handed!
Pic of my SS & Holster:
100_1331.jpg