long frame screws prevent operation of 3 screw Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
This is the first time I have run into this problem and can't find the solution.
When tightening the 5 frame screws on one my OM three screw Blackhawks, as tight as I can, the hammer will cock to its firing position. However, when pressing the trigger it fails to fire. The trigger travels rearward but the hammer stays fully cocked. Loosening the screws a certain amount will allow the hammer to fall when trigger is pressed.

All my other 3 screw Blackhawks have the screws firmly tightened without a problem.

Does anyone have a remedy to offer. Thanks....Louis

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm gonna take a wild guess/speculation.... If any of the screws are longer than the other(s), perhaps you have put the wrong screws in the 'right' holes...? Or, any chance a previous owner put in the wrong screws and sold the gun (after loosening them a bit) because it 'didn't work'....? I bought a Colt New Frontier many years ago at a reduced price from a big dealer. The price was based on the butt screw (two piece grip frames) that would NOT screw-in flush with the butt. It was one of the grip frames screws that was erroneously put in the wrong hole. Changed-out the screws.... all better!
J

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Johnnu2 said:
I'm gonna take a wild guess/speculation.... If any of the screws are longer than the other(s), perhaps you have put the wrong screws in the 'right' holes...? Or, any chance a previous owner put in the wrong screws and sold the gun (after loosening them a bit) because it 'didn't work'....? I bought a Colt New Frontier many years ago at a reduced price from a big dealer. The price was based on the butt screw (two piece grip frames) that would screw-in flush with the butt. It was one of the grip frames screws that was erroneously put in the wrong hole. Changed-out the screws.... all better!
J

Have switched the screws around and that is how I got it to finally work (when not fully tightened down). In fact my next move is to shorten the screws one at a time trying each one before shorting the next. Hopefully this will work. Appreciate your input. Have a great day. Louis

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
nvbirdman said:
Don't shorten them one at a time, loosen them one at a time.

This has been done allowing the gun to work. However, am looking for a permanent fix and hope to accomplish this by shortening one to four screws.

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Snowninja said:
Has it always done this, or just after you've taken it apart to clean it etc. ?

Own it for short time and yes it was this way from the beginning.

jgt

Buckeye
The long screw in the grip frame goes in the hole where the groove of the cross pin is. You have to make sure the cross pin is not in backwards, then put the screw in the hole under the groove in the cross pin. If still too long, it is the wrong screw and you can get a new one from Ruger, Numrich Gun Parts, Brownell's, or Midway. Do not start cutting screws until you are sure what is the cause of your problem. You could just cause new problems.

Johnnu2

Hunter
jgt.... the OP mentioned that his gun is an OM (Old Model).... the grip frame scews of an OM aren't the same as the grip frame screws of a NM.... just FYI for those following this post
J

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's not the screws.

The hammer, trigger, or both were changed and they are not properly fitted. The trigger sear is too long. By loosening the screws you introduce enough 'slop' in the action so the hammer will release from the overly long sear.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
It's not the screws.

The hammer, trigger, or both were changed and they are not properly fitted. The trigger sear is too long. By loosening the screws you introduce enough 'slop' in the action so the hammer will release from the overly long sear.

THAT makes sense....
Have to admit that I never knew that there could be a fitting problem like that..... but it certainly is most probable.
J

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
It's not the screws.

Tool your advice and, primarily with small hard Arkansas stones, smoothed both the hammer and trigger surfaces where they meet at full cock. The screws were tightened all the way without excessive torque. Still experienced the same situation until I took a slight turn, loosening the hammer screw ( again a slight turn) and it functioned perfectly. Apparently a little more work is needed.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Johnnu2

Hunter
THIS is a great Forum and source of help...…. Glad it's working out....THAT was a tricky one.!!!
J