long barrelled MKII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
well, i guess my first gun of the new year is a MKII target. i had run across a stainless 10 incher at a small gunshow last summer, but couldn't come to terms with the owner. but, i decided i really needed one of them! i found this blue one here in town a couple of weeks ago. they seem to be fairly hard-to-find around here. it isn't perfect, but is pretty nice. it has a set of "accuracy grip" target grips on it. at first. i really didn't like the looks of them, but man, they fit my hand perfect, and feel great. i guess i will leave them on there for a while.

target2.jpg

target1.jpg

i got it home and cleaned it up, then put an older leupold 2X on it.

bull1.jpg

bull2.jpg

i am liking it pretty well! i have a few questions for you experts. first, how do i tell the difference between MKII and MKIII grips when i find them laying on a table at a gunshow? what kind of accuracy would you expect from the little guy?

i have took it out twice. the first day, it was windy and raining, and i went to the public range. i took federal bulk stuff, and some old winchester superX hollowpoints that i have had for at least 20 years. i have shot a bunch of 22s through a bunch of rifles and pistols, and these old things very, very often give the best group of anything i try. i got the scope dialed in, and it shot a few sub half-inch groups at 25 yards, and a few groups right at, and just under 1 inch at 50 yards. i shot it at 100 yards, and the best group was 2.6". it was basically dead-on at 25 and 50, and about 6 inches low at 100. the 100 yard groups were only about an inch wide, with stringing up and down ( i was figuring the individual shots were varying in speed to some extent).

i was pretty happy with that, and took it back out yesterday, and took the chronograph. it wasn't raining, but the wind was still blowing pretty bad. the best group of the day was just over 2.5 at 100yds. BUT! the groups were basically 1 inch high, and the stringing was side to side (with the winchesters)(now, i am thinking the wind can really move a little 22 sideways at that distance!) man, i am also thinking that if i get a perfect day, this thing might print a TINY group at 100 yards! i am still deciding what size of dot to use for a target. the 2X reticle covers up a fairly large area at 100yd. i used about a 3 inch circle yesterday, but i think i will make it a little smaller next time. the winchesters were very consistent, in the low 1100 fps range. the fed bulk was in the high 11s, and shockingly consistent, too. both went to about the same point of aim. i will try some more different ammo next time, and i am really hoping for a day with better weather conditions, but so far, i am happy with the little guy.

what kind of accuracy are you guys getting from these things? any ammo that they really seem to like? i have had a 5 1/2 inch MKII for along time, and it really likes the winchesters, and the 10/22s seem to like it too. the 100yd drop from a 16-inch 10/22 barrel is about 4 1/2 inches, so i guess the 10 incher is a tad slower, because it is dropping a little more. i will have to dig around a see what all i have around here to try in it.

anyway! sorry for the long post! i just got a new toy, and am enjoying fooling with it!

you'll find the accuracy when you find the ammo that your gun "loves"

as for the grips they are basically the same (hole pattern) but the MK III has a small notch ( cutout) on the left grip panel for the magazine release button.

Good luck and enjoy it, you'll soon find out just how accurate it may be.. :wink:

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
With that sight radius who needs a scope. You might want to give cci standard velocity a try.

Doc Holliday

Single-Sixer
Love mine! Very accurate!
Yes, the 10" barrels are very hard to find. I've seen a couple on the web auctioned off for over $500.00, it's crazy.
Mine's an early serial, made in May of 1984, #210-74xxx

6628971061_c51cec5859_z.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
I also think you'll get better accuracy with the Standard Velocity. The 10" barrel is long enough that HV is probably going supersonic and then back to subsonic before it reaches 100 yards. The sound waves catching up with the bullet distort it in flight.

Very cool find, I've seen a few ten inchers around here, but not many. You picture is making me think about putting a scope on my 6 7/8" 22/45 Hunter.

Cholo

Staff member
I have 2 MKll's, one a blue 10" like yours and a Competition. The Competition has a 2x6 scope on it. On a good day I could put 10 shots of WW Power Points into a ragged hole I couldn't put my little finger in @ 25 yds. off sandbags. With few exceptions, the groups were well under 1/2". That was then and this is now, so I doubt I could repeat it today, but the gun is capable! I wonder what that Competition could do in the hands of a better shooter than I am? I believe my 10" could do it too with ammo it prefers.

"The Best" .22 ammo question comes up a lot and there is no answer. I simply start with:

1) CCI Mini Mag solids
2) CCI Blazers (My 3 MKll magazines gum up with the CCI Std. Velocity)
3) Winchester Power Points
4) Federal 550 Bulk.

Sometimes the cheap stuff will surprise you :wink:

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Mine is Blue also, on sand bags, @ 25 yards, scoped 2x6 Bushnell one ragged hole, 5 shots. Fed bulk, Win 555 bulk. Very pleased with it.
Have a new 50 yard target, might try it tomorrow.
Enjoy I sure do!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Found a 10" in a pawn shop last summer for $349, stainless but scuffed up all over. I got it polished where it counts and am still contemplating sending it to Ruger for a like-new brushed finish.

I put a mount on it and made it a favorite squirrel machine using V-sticks or a natural rest. Anyone tried counter-boring an inch or so and what effect might taht have on loudness or accuracy?

Cholo

Staff member
mohavesam said:
Found a 10" in a pawn shop last summer for $349, stainless but scuffed up all over. I got it polished where it cunts and am still contemplating sending it to Ruger for a like-new brushed finish.

Glad you found your Long Tom MKll! 2 hours of elbow grease will have it looking like new. I must say that your major Freudian slip has your mind in the same gutter as mine is :wink:

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
thanks for all the comments/info! i have rounded up 10 different flavors of 22 fodder. if it would just QUIT RAINING! for a day or two! oh well, i guess it could be snowing!!!
i will get the thing out and shoot some groups as soon as possible!

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
well, it was beautiful today, but the wind was still whipping. i went to the local 100yd. range, and shot 6 more brands of 22s. i used a 2-inch bullseye. i went back this evening, and shot the 2 loads with the best groups again. i used a 3-inch bullseye this time. the 2-incher was basically totally covered by the reticle.

the winchester T22 is always pretty accurate in everything, but, man, it is slow. the best 5-shot group with it was 1.876, but they were hitting over 7 inches below the aiming point.

the surprise was the cci stingers. they were very accurate, and were all over the bullseye still, even at 100yd! they were dead-on at 25, and 50, and MAYBE 1 1/2 inches low at 100! i didn't have the chrono today, but they must be humming out of the long barrel. my best official group was 2.139. BUT! i shot a beautiful 1.407 4-shot group, then totally blew the last shot, about 3 inches above the others. it was completely my fault, so i am still hopeful for a tiny group, and the stingers may be the ticket!

i will regroup, hope for a good, still day, and try again!