Loctite OK on the aluminum/steel Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

borderpatrol

Bearcat
Having just rekindled my age old love of handguns thanks to Michigan's concealed carry laws, I fished my Ruger .41 Magnum Blackhawk out of the rear of the safe. After shooting a few rounds I took it home and when cleaning it discovered every screw holding the trigger/butt stock assembly to the main frame was completely loose. I was lucky not to loose any. Does anyone use loctite on these screws?

SAJohn

Hunter
Welcome to the forum. I just dry the screws and holes and snug them in tight but not excessively so and don't have a problem. The fellow who runs this forum, Flatgate, uses a snippet of monofilament to lock the screwa in place.

If you use Locktite make certain it is the type that stays soft or you will weld those screws in place. The alunimum/steel is no problem.

Is you .41 an old model?

SAJohn

J Miller

Blackhawk
Borderpatrol,

Welcome to the forum.

Loctite 222 the purple stuff is recommended by the resident gunsmith over on Leverguns.com.
My Rugers haven't come loose so far. I just crank them in good and tight, but not too tight and have at it.

Joe

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yeah, I use Flatgate's solution.

Stuff the end of a 20# test fishing line down in the screw's bore.
Install the screw and tighten "firmly". Use a small
"cigarette lighter" to make the "tail of monofiliment" disappear.

flatgate

borderpatrol

Bearcat
I don't know what an old model is. I guess anything I own probably is an old model. Purchased new in the early to mid 80's. 25 years old give or take. I use to shoot handguns quite a bit back then. I've always been involved in highpower rifles. Since getting my CCW I've gone handgun crazy again. I feel like a full member of society, a free man and force for good. Amazing what a little piece of paper can do for you.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Degrease the screw holes,,, and a removable type of Loctite will cure the ills.
If your gun was purchased in the 1980's it'd be a "New Model." All the Old Models were discontinued in 1973.
Easy way to tell at a glance. Look at the mainframe. If it has 2 pins through the frame,, it's a NM. If it has 3 screws,,, it's an OM.

flatgate

Hawkeye
52401191.jpg

Of course, the EASIEST WAY to tell is to read the rollmarks on the cylinder frame. The "New Model" is labeled as such.

:D

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
I bet a "new" set of screws, which have a "Factory applied" thread locker, would be the easiest solution.

A proper fitting screwdriver will permit one to apply some torque to the screws, as well.

Been there, done that a bunch of times.

flatgate

edlmann

Blackhawk
borderpatrol":10wz7rr9 said:
I don't know what an old model is. I guess anything I own probably is an old model. Purchased new in the early to mid 80's.

Roger Old Model made from ca. 1955 to about 1972. New Model from then.

Found in this post on another forum:

OM has three screws through the frame:
P1010025.JPG

NM has two pins.
P1010041.JPG