Locking gas cap time again?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I walked my dog past a lanscaping truck which was left running while the guys were working. I have no idea why they left it running. Seems like a waste to me. It got me to thinking how many people will be doing that now-a-days with gas prices like they are.
They were probably just workers burning company gasto keep it cool for them

Pal Val

Buckeye
Someone stole 5 gallons of gas from my truck´s tank. I put in a locking gas cap and next day my "service engine soon" light went on. The mechanic told me those caps let air in which triggers the light. He also told me I was lucky that the thief didn't run into it. When they find one, they just poke a hole in the tank to steal the gas. Costs a fortune to replace the gas tank.

Reactions: RRM

RoundinCircles

Bearcat
I read an article today about gas theft. Apparently people are parking specially rigged trucks ontop of the gas station filling hole and sucking it right out of the underground tank.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Someone stole 5 gallons of gas from my truck´s tank. I put in a locking gas cap and next day my "service engine soon" light went on. The mechanic told me those caps let air in which triggers the light. He also told me I was lucky that the thief didn't run into it. When they find one, they just poke a hole in the tank to steal the gas. Costs a fortune to replace the gas tank.
Had the same issue with my Tacoma. Realized there was no sense in a locking cap. They just punch a hole in tanks these days because it’s easier than trying to syphon.

RRM

Single-Sixer
Saw a news story last night that thieves have some tech that is allowing them to steal at the pump--even if station is closed. Apparently already bad enough it could put stations out of business.

Biden+ANTIFA=Transition?

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Pretty sad but not surprising these days. People just kinda suck. Guess morals and honesty have gone out the window.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Had the same issue with my Tacoma. Realized there was no sense in a locking cap. They just punch a hole in tanks these days because it’s easier than trying to syphon.
After the tank has been punched, just put a valve in the hole for next time. Never leave more than a gallon or so in it and drain that yourself before you walk away.

Or just stay out of 3rd world shite holes and keep your business in decent neighborhoods.

RRM

Single-Sixer
After the tank has been punched, just put a valve in the hole for next time. Never leave more than a gallon or so in it and drain that yourself before you walk away.

Or just stay out of 3rd world shite holes and keep your business in decent neighborhoods.

Heck they'll do it in your front yard here. Along with your cat converter.

Gotta drop the tank to put in a valve. That's not so easy on most vehicles. Crooks won't look for it anyway and they won't know your tank is empty. So, buy a bunch of valves if you're in a problematic area.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Heck they'll do it in your front yard here. Along with your cat converter.

Gotta drop the tank to put in a valve. That's not so easy on most vehicles. Crooks won't look for it anyway and they won't know your tank is empty. So, buy a bunch of valves if you're in a problematic area.
Not in front of MY house they won't.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Don't forget Clint Eastwood when ya confront the thieves. "Do ya feel lucky punk" My favorite of all time!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Saw a news story last night that thieves have some tech that is allowing them to steal at the pump--even if station is closed. Apparently already bad enough it could put stations out of business.

Biden+ANTIFA=Transition?

It's pretty basic technology .

Bolt cutters for the typical padlock , decent diameter length of hose , and a 12 volt pump of decent gpm rating .

To make it worthwhile , need on onboard tank of couple hundred gallon capacity , such as used for remote fueling at construction sites , or I suppose large farm machinery . Unlike stealing from individual cars , this type of operations are fairly organized .

A limiting factor is gas station underground tanks are usually in visable locations . Private pumps for industrial operations may be more isolated .

Actually , this is easier to pull off for heating oil than gasoline . Oil tanks are typically out of sight behind houses and buildings . If you can drive the truck around the back of unoccupied house/ building in rural areas , you can steal unobserved at leisure .

Jeepnik

Hawkeye

Gee, never thought of my area of million plus homes was part of the 3rd world. Ut I do appreciate yoUr sage advice.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
MMM Hmm. Make sure you have a bondsman and criminal atty lined up. Hopefully you won't have covid restrictions that keep you from getting out timely.
So good so far and I'm not sitting in a million dollar home worrying about trash punching my gas tanks. Guess I could have a lot worse neighbors.

redhawker

Buckeye
Don't know if a locking gas cap is worth it anymore. Many times, when they steal your gas now, they just crawl under the vehicle and punch a hole in the gas tank and drain it out that way. If you don't have a locking cap they may only siphon it so at least you don't have to replace the gas tank...($$$ Ka-ching!...ouch!)

Latest posts