Loads for Vaquero 45LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyinfred

Blackhawk
I need some help in deciding what to feed a NIB Vaquero Birdshead I just got. It was made in 7/2008. I am not "up" on Vaquero's to know if this is an "old" type or a "new type. I know the new one's will not take stout loads like the old one's will so before I do something stupid, I wanted to ask. Any info would be appreciated. :?: :?:

AJOZ

Bearcat
I have been using 7.0 grains of W231 under a 250 grain lead RNFP for the past eight years for Cowboy Action shooting. I have shot it out of Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. It runs 850 FPS out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The load is a full power load. Winchester calls for 5.5 grains as a Cowboy load. I like the recoil.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I don't believe the birdshead has been offered in the New Vaquero yet.

You can verify what you have by looking on the driver's side of the gun and see if it says "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero".

If it says Vaquero, you have the large frame revolver

If it says New Vaquero, you have the medium frame revolver.

whichever it is, congrats on your gun

~c.r.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
you know, after thinking about it, me saying that ruger hasn't offered the New Vaquero w/ a birdshead grip frame really doesn't mean squat. There are plenty of folks out there swapping grip frames around.

Whatever is on the side of the frame should give you the correct answer though.

~c.r.

flyinfred

Blackhawk
Yeah it says just plain old Vaquero...from what I was told, Ruger put a dozen of these together last year and the guy I bought it from bought all of them....then they made another dozen at a higher price and he bought them...now he's trying to sell all of them...I wondered when it just said Vaquero which it was...I've got some stout 300gn.loads for my Blackhawk and do not know how stout to load for the Vaquero...don't do Cowboy...just carry it in the field hunting...and this is a NIB factory gun...full of oil....never shot or messed with...with all the papers...might call Ruger thursday when I'm in Phoenix and see what they say... :D :D

c.r.

Single-Sixer
the large frame Vaquero is built on the same frame as your Blackhawk sans the adjustable sights.

The large frame Vaquero in 45 Colt will handle the same loads as your blackhawk. Now the birdshead grip frame might get your attention though :wink:

~c.r.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have shot maxed out 300gr loads (21 grains H110) from my Birdshead Vaquero with no ill effect. In fact, the birdshead grips seem more comfortable to me with heavy loads than the grips on my Blackhawk Convertible.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

No point waiting until you are in Phoenix to call about your Vaquero. They are made in New Hampshire.

My Smokeless load for 45 Colt is 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain bullet. Not a wimpy load but not too stout either.

My usual load is around 33 grains of Schuetzen FFg under a 250 grain Big Lube bullet.

tek4260

Buckeye
I am getting great accuracy from a 325gr Cast Keith and 23gr of H-110. Funny how the heavier loads always seem to shoot much better than light loads.

Rclark

Hunter
For .45 Colt... My light load is 6.0g of Trail Boss pushing a 250g RNFP. My working load is 8.5g Unique pushing a 250g RNFP.

dougader

Hunter
I like 6.5 grains WW231 under a 250 RNFP cast bullet. It recoils light, shoots straight and manages about 800 fps from a 5.5" Bisley.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wheel Gunner":xdfijf9m said:
yet pretty stout. I don't remember the FPS but otta be somewhere near 8-850.

Oh, gosh, I must grin out loud. Stout? Oh, my! No way. Pipsqueek load.

Sorry, this old Fart just couldn't resist. Try 335 grain bullets at 1200-1250 fps out of a large frame Ruger S.A.

They WILL get your attention!

:D

flatgate