Loading the .44 Spl Flattop to it's full potential

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Barkis

Bearcat
dougader said:
I just use what I have on hand and the flat top shoots them fine. W231 and Blue Dot for me, with Universal, 2400 and AA9 waiting in the wings.

I have 2lbs of Blue Dot powder and have been wondering what to do with it. I'd be interested in hearing about your BD loads. I have an RCBS 250K and Saeco 246 gr RNFP that I load in my 44, generally over 5 grains of Bullseye. Can you share your Blue Dot load?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Blue Dot will leave unburnt kernels of powder in the cases if you don't get the pressure up enough. You can expect any 44 special loads will have to be loaded quite heavy with a heavy crimp to be clean. I have reduced 44 mag loads by 10% with no problems but when going to a -20% it was difficult to get it to burn cleanly and those kernels can jam a gun.

stevemb

Hunter
Since the OP mentioned the 240gr XTP, I'll say you may want to try the 200gr XTP in the 44spec..

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Since the OP mentioned the 240gr XTP, I'll say you may want to try the 200gr XTP in the 44spec..

I like the 200 gr XTP as well...better expansion than the 240 which I have a suspicion was made heavier for rifle use. At any rate, 231 is also a good powder for mid-range loads with the 200 XTP.

Rod

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I like the Skeeter load but prefer using 2400 at the same velocities. In my 5.5" FA97, 14 grains of 2400 will make a tad over 1000 fps with my 250 grain LSWC. Be sure to check my memory against a good manual. IMHO, the 44 Special is a GREAT revolver chambering -- enjoy!

I have used 2400, H110, Unique, WW231 and lately Herco in the 44spl. The Herco is a good powder in substitution for the Unique and 9gr under a 250gr LSWC bullet is a good load in my stainless flat top Blackhawk. I have gone up to 9.5 but see little difference. This is a "Ruger only" load in my opinion. With H110 I have used up to the 18.5gr H110 with the same bullet and it was not unpleasant to shoot but not overly accurate in my gun and not pleasant to shoot. I have not worked up any loads with jacketed bullets so can't comment there.

Paul B

Hunter
I go with Skeeter's load, 7.5 gr. of Unique with a cast bullet, Lyman #429241, Elmer's bullet. My alloy casts a 255 gr. bullet. I have shot the 17.0 gr./2400 load in a Ruger flat top .44 Mag. with 6.5" barrel and frankly, it's a bit uncomfortable. I would think is would be even more so in a 4 5/8" gun. My poor old arthritic knuckles don't tolerate much rapping these days. My current .44 Spl. is an S&W M624 with 6.5" barrel. Very accurate with Skeeter's load. Sufficient power with decent controllability. What's not to like?
Paul B.

dougader

Hunter
Barkis said:
dougader said:
I just use what I have on hand and the flat top shoots them fine. W231 and Blue Dot for me, with Universal, 2400 and AA9 waiting in the wings.

I have 2lbs of Blue Dot powder and have been wondering what to do with it. I'd be interested in hearing about your BD loads. I have an RCBS 250K and Saeco 246 gr RNFP that I load in my 44, generally over 5 grains of Bullseye. Can you share your Blue Dot load?

I've been loading 240 grain bevel base swc's with 10 grains of Hercules Blue Dot for about 915 fps; standard large pistol primers. You might try 9 grains of Alliant Blue Dot and go from there. I have the Bisley flat top and the loads seem soft to me.

Also use 6.7 grains W231 but can't recall the velocity right now...somewhere around 875 fps.

I used data for the 240 grain jhp in Speer 14 to work up my loads.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
dougader said:
I've been loading 240 grain bevel base swc's with 10 grains of Hercules Blue Dot for about 915 fps; standard large pistol primers. You might try 9 grains of Alliant Blue Dot and go from there.
How old is that powder? I have been reloading for more than 10 years and I only know Blue Dot as being Alliant - Blue Dot.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

Three50seven

Buckeye
Not sure when Hercules became Alliant, though I'm sure someone here can give you a time frame...I was given some 2400, Rel7, and Red Dot a few years ago all marked Hercules and in the foil/cardboard type bottles. I have since used it all up and have had zero issues with it.

I'll preface this post stating that the bullets I shoot in the .44 Special weigh mostly 252 to 258 grs. all Keith style SWC's. For hunting i much much prefer a SWC from the RCBS 44-250KT mould. Recently I have been casting and shooting a 255 gr. RN from a Lee mould.

There's an empty 4 lb. Unique jug under my bench. 99% of it was used my .44 Specials, then another pound or two of 20/28 which is a marvelous grain for grain alternative to Unique (but not so much in larger cases). Here's how I used these two and the velocities out my Uberti's 4 5/8" barrel:

6.0 grs. - 775 fps with the RN. Pretty much duplI cates the factory load and is accurate.

6.5 grs. - 850 fps The load I use the most for practice and just general bumming around. Very, very accurate all the way out to 100 yds. Love this load.

7.5 grs.- This one we all know well will give you about 950 fps, closer to 1000 out of a 5 1/2" barrel. This load and the RCBS as bullet cut short the life of three Texas whitetails.

Power Pistol-
Only used one load and that was 8.2 grs. Velocities are just about identical to the Skeeter load.

AL2400-

Tried all kinds loads with it and found the higher loads were more accurate. Just last week I settled on 15.0 grs. in the aforementioned Uberti and attained 4"-5" groups at 50 yds. when fired from a seated back rested position. Velocity was 1050 as I recall from the 4 5/8" bbl.
I shot the 17.0 gr. load quite a bit in my 5 1/2" Flat Top. It averages 1218 fps and has grouped in the 6" range at 100 yds. and I've even shot some decent groups at 200, although those were just for fun.
I've shot and chrono-ed lots of other powders, but Unique and 2400 do everything that needs to be done so I see no need in using anything else.

Honestly like Unique and 2400 I see little need in any other bullets than SWC's. The only reason I began using the RN is because it makes it easy to tell my loads apart at a glance. Too, all my .44 Specials seem to shoot good with just about any powder bullet combination mentioned.

Good luck!

Latest posts