Loading cast bullets in .30-30?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'm thinking of giving this a try. Can anyone give me some ideas of bullets, powders, and loads that would be suitable? My regular guy casts bullets of 6% antimony, 2% tin, and has a .30 caliber 165gr RNFP available.

I recently thought of picking up a .45-70, but if I can reload lead for the .30-30 I've already got I'll be that much ahead of the game.

-- Sam

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I am sure not an expert here...but a shooting friend of mine that is a serious bullet caster says that he can't get any cast bullet to work in the 30-30 unless they are gas checked. I shot some his a few weeks ago and they shot well. He had light loads for plinking with unique and some heavier loads with H-322. They all did well in my old '94.

I am sure others will know more about it.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, Sam

I have an old RCBS cast bullet book that shows their 175 gr bullet being loaded w/ a variety of powders: IMR 4831, Win 748, IMR 3031 and H-322 are shown for rifle powders. They also show loads w/ 2400, H-110, Red Dot and 700X. They give velocities, but no pressures. Range is from about 1200 fps "pop gun" loads w/ the pistol powders to around 1800 fps w/ rifle powders.

I've never loaded cast for the .30-30 before, but I've got a bunch of 170 gr FP Lee bullets cast from "hardball" alloy (same as yours, I believe) and gas checked, just waiting for me to try. IMR 3031 will probably be my first run.

The book's out of print, but if you'll PM me w/ an e-mail address, I think I can scan the pages well enough to read (it's a tough book to get a good scan from) and send 'em...

Rick C

J Miller

Blackhawk
Sam,

I'm doing the same as you. A forum member over at Leverguns.com forum is sending me some bullets to try.
I think they are the LEE 170?gr FNCG.
He sizes them to .310".

When I asked him about load data, I like full house loads, no squib types wanted, he said these cast bullets will normally do about 100 fps faster than jacketed with the same powder charge.

Now I don't know this to be true as I've never done anything with cast bullets from any rifle caliber. This will be a learning experience for me as well.

Joe

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
J Miller":2oo9arbt said:
When I asked him about load data, I like full house loads, no squib types wanted, he said these cast bullets will normally do about 100 fps faster than jacketed with the same powder charge.

Hi, Joe

It's not carved in stone, but I was taught somewhere to always use a little less powder w/ cast than jacketed loads. Now, the "teacher" was referring to pistol ammo... but it SEEMS to hold true w/ at least SOME rifle ammo.

I can send you the same scan I sent Sam if you'd like. Just PM me w/ an e-mail address...

Rick C

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
I use the 170gr OT laser cast .310 re-sized to .309 with a gas check. I was getting too much leading without the gas check. I am using IMR4198, I am at work so I don't have the powder charge in front of me.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Check over at castboolits.gunloads.com I asked the same type of question 150 gr cast in my 30-30. They suggested 16 gr of 2400 for plinking. Forgot what they said for 170 gr. hth greg

COR

Blackhawk
10grs of Unique

15 - 17grs of 2400

I DO NOT use a filler. I have never seen the needs. Others will tell you differently but this works for me.

150grs to 170grs lead bullets. I size mine for .311 in my Glenfield 30-30 but the .310 seems to do as well too.

I actually like the discontinued Ranch Dog 170gr FNGC that is tumble lubed.

These loads are great for young shooters or new shooters and have very little recoil. They will kill a deer with correct shot placement too.

www.montanabulletworks.com has a great selection of well made bullets too if you want to try some of the more popular styles.

A

Anonymous

Shoot a lot of cast in my 30-30 and 30-40 krag and my Buddy shoots several BP cartridges as well as 303's and we a lot of fun with cast bullets (most w gaschecks). Now granted we tend to shoot loads in the 1200- 1500 fps range and we aren't trying for sub 1" groups so maybe you don't want that, but for shooting around at the range we have a great time shooting at steel swingers at out to 300 yards. You will be surprised how well you can do at 300 yds with a 1500 fps load shooting steel rams. Oh yes one other thing. I have found that you can't easily shoot cast and jacketed well interchangeably. You need to really clean your barrel and shoot it a little when switching from one to the other before getting best accuracy.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
When shooting cast bullets after jacketed, clean the barrel real well of any copper. Otherwise you tend to get leading and less acuracy than with a copper-free barrel. I used JB Bore paste. I have used 150 to 170 gr flat nose non-gas checked bullets with IMR4895 for 15-1800 fps loads with good results at 100 yd, especially considering the front sight on my Win 94 covers the bullseye completely. I only clean the rifle after the season is over and there is never any leading nor is the barrel very dirty.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Thanks for all the replies, and all the info that was sent via PM, etc. I think I've got enough data to start.

I also spoke to my bullet caster, and he sizes them to .309" and lubes them, but does not install gas checks. He doesn't shoot them himself, but says his customers claim to push them to up to 1500 fps without problem.

Given the extra cost and steps involved, I'm thinking I may just pick up some of the bullets and try them without gas checks. I won't be using these for hunting, tend to load on the light side anyway, and high velocity is not my goal. I would like them to be somewhat accurate, though.

Thanks again,

-- Sam

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I'll be watching this thread with interest too Sam. I've recently added to my collection a "sparingly used" 1973 Model 94 that seems very accurate with factory WW 150 and 170 gr loads. Stays in 6 inches at 150 yds with either (or both) loads which is probably kinda lucky considering my failing eyeballs! I'd like to put a Lyman #2 tang sight on it and develop a cast bullet load duplicating factory ballistics and a "lead frugal" light bullet load for plinking. Please post your results amigo....Dennis BTW, I've pondered a rechamber to .30/30 Ackley Improved. Anybody done that?

HardBall

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":2djw1gub said:
I also spoke to my bullet caster, and he sizes them to .309" and lubes them, but does not install gas checks. He doesn't shoot them himself, but says his customers claim to push them to up to 1500 fps without problem.

You should be able to shoot those .309" bullets just fine without leading problems if you keep them close to .22LR speed. In my Marlin microgrove, I push .309" non-GC bullets with 7.0~7.5g Unique for roughly 1-1/2" 5-shot groups at 50yds with factory iron sights. Just a plinking load. I've not pushed them any faster without a GC.

Same rifles with Lyman's #311041 gas-checked and sized to .311", I can go to 2000fps with IMR-3031 and the same accuracy.

A

Anonymous

Doesn't lee make a little sizer die that pushes the bullets up thru a die w/o lubing them. That should work to crimp/seat the gas check w/o costing much.

EDK

Single-Sixer
Go over to castboolits.gunloads.com/ for a lot of info. marlinowners.com also has some info.

I'm using a plain base version of 311041 from water cooled wheel weight alloy and sizing to .311+ for my various MARLINS.

A gentleman named buckshot (at cast boolits) makes custom sizer dies like the LEE, as well as other products for the boolit casters.

gmdr.com has data for reduced loads also.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Itchy":3y7rg5qj said:
Doesn't lee make a little sizer die that pushes the bullets up thru a die w/o lubing them. That should work to crimp/seat the gas check w/o costing much.

Hi,

I use the Lee sizers and they do work "quick and easy" as advertised.

Only caveat from Lee is the bullets should be lubed w/ Lee Liquid Alox BEFORE sizing so you don't create a buildup of lead inside the die.

I've used LLA since before I ever tried one of their sizers, so that's no big deal for me... but you should also lube the bullets a second time after sizing if using the LLA, cuz it's basically an "external" lube (as opposed to filling the lube grooves) and it does get wiped off the surface when sizing...

Rick C

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam, what ever you decide to do with the 30-30, you should still buy the 45-70. Everybody needs atleast one

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
mtivester":3t08jvwr said:
Yosemite Sam, what ever you decide to do with the 30-30, you should still buy the 45-70. Everybody needs atleast one
My only concern is that I'm a recoil wimp. Trap shooting has left me with a "glass shoulder", and I find even a .308 more than I consider "fun" after a few rounds. I'm thinking my .45-70 loads would be so light as to be a waste of the caliber. Also, the .30 cal bullets are less expensive, and the rounds use less powder, too, he cheeps. ;) OTOH, it is a classic...

Been thinking on a .45 Colt or .44 mag lever gun, too. I already load for both those calibers.

I went ahead and ordered my .30 cal bullets, got my dies (RCBS; KISS) and found that I have fewer cases than I thought. I have a couple of boxes of commercial stuff I can fire off before my bullets will be ready, if the weather cooperates.

-- Sam