Loading Brand New Brass, Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I've loaded TONS of 357 and 44 mag in years gone by but never with new brass. I always loaded once fired stuff and then of course reloaded that over and over.

So I got 500 Rounds of Starline for my 44 Special the other day and I was wondering, should this all be ran through all 4 dies or can I skip the sizer die the first time? Are they perfectly sized at the factory and ready to prime? My guess is, probably. I guess that way since you can buy primed brass.

So.... am I ready to prime these or must they be sized first?

Thanks guys!

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I always size my new brass,check the flash holes,de-burr the case mouth.
Just because it is new is no reason to re-load it off the bat :D Hope this helps.

Most Starline brass you don't have to trim (straight wall) but I always size new and old brass. Good idea to chamfer and deburr all new brass.
I load on a 550 so sizing and priming is just part of the routine.
My starline 44spl. brass was beautiful size wise right from the factory though. Measure one then size it and see what you get.
Eric

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I use a lot of Starline brass and always resize it first. I think it gives a more consistant bullet grip to match my other reloads that are built with used brass. Trying to keep all my related reloads shooting the same.
Other than that I dont think there is any danger to not resizing.

VL

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yes, it's best to resize it.

I received a box of pre-primed .45 Colt brass recently. I started off not bothering to resize it, but quickly found that it caused more problems with my expander (Lee "Powder-Through") die if I didn't.

Besides, as Mtn Biker points out, it does give you a nice, consistent bullet grip, and some say that this initial fit is even more important than the crimp.

-- Sam

Ruber

Single-Sixer
You can check the lengths, Starline doesn't have the best quality control and a rare batch gets shipped out with quite a variance in length and has to be processed similar to used range brass.

But yes, I tend to resize all new brass for consistency.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Sorry guys but I have used alot of starline brass and never resized it prior to loading. I hand prime and bell it then powder and bullets. It has always worked for me. I have used 44mag/454casull/357/9mm/45acp/45-70 with excellent results.

Just my take on things.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
Just so I don't seem to be dumping on Starline brass I want to clarify that I size all brands of new brass, not just Starline. I think Starline brass is a great product.

Also not dumping on anyone who does not size new brass. There is more than one way to skin a cat. :D

VL

GP100man

Buckeye
All brass is cleaned , resized , measured for length , primer pocket cleaned & inspected, then it gets to go to the reloading bench!!!

This process is for ALL BRASS each reloading!!

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
For any brand of new brass, I inspect, deburr, expand, trim if needed, then prime and load. Any cases with damaged/misshaped mouths get run thru the sizer. Has worked for me for many years. Lately, however, I have run new 45 Colt Starline cases thru the sizer, just because so many people think I should - did not see any difference so not likely to do it again.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
ANY brass I use, new or not, gets made as uniform as possible. Same case/neck tension, flash holes, length, and mouths squared with a trim. Then the cases are kept in their own lots of 50 and I record the number of times reloaded. Can't make ammo as accurate as possible without eliminating EVERY variable, including case prep IMO. Am I too nitpicky? When it comes to reloading, you bet! FWIW, Dennis :wink:

Rclark

Hunter
I resize new brass. First de-burr, then resize.

[edited] Don't worry about the flash hole, except to check if there is one, and about the right size :) .

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm anal about my brass, so yep..... deburr flash hole on the inside, chamfer the mouth, light chamfer on the primer opening, then run her through the sizer die. Some of that might sound like overkill for revolver brass but 3 out of 4 of them steps is a one time operation, so I figure it as.....why not?

DGW

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've used a fair amount of Starline brass, and while it's as good as most others, I've found it still has the same "problems" one expects from most any product that's produced by the zillions and unceremoniously dumped into huge boxes...

So, please add my name to the list of those who size, trim, and chamfer ALL my new handgun brass. I do the same w/ range scrounged stuff... all brands, new or used, get this treatment.

I've found the rest of the loading process is more enjoyable as well as produces "better" ammo if I take that extra time once before getting started.

Many people don't bother w/ doing all this, and produce perfectly acceptable ammo, so some of it may be superfluous. I dunno, but I'm happy w/ my drill! ;)

Rick C

Latest posts