loading 41 spl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
Finally got around to loading 41 spl but my RCBS 41 mag die seems to hit the shellplate before it can crimp the case. Anyone else had this happen? I have the feeling I may need a different die.

Some die sets will work but I know my RCBS wouldn't. I took it down to the machine shopa nd had them machine off the end of the die the same amount of the thickness off the 38/357 spacer ring. Without the spacer, it crimps 41 Specials, with the spacer, 41 mags.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I'll take off some more then. I may not have gotten as much as a spacer and it didn't occur to me to use it as a guide. Thanks. This reminds me of the post about grinding down a 44-40 die.

dixie884

Blackhawk
Hornady, Dillon, Redding, and Lee .41mag dies will all crimp a .41spl, but I also have a set of RCBSs that won't.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
When I took some off yesterday it felt like it may need to be flared so the case goes in easy. I'm excited about this cartridge, just need a gun or two chambered for it.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
If I were to have Hamilton Bowen make me a 41 special on an OMBH small frame, where would I get brass without shortening 41 Mag brass?

Latest posts