Loaded Rifle At A Gun Show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rum River

Bearcat
Was the rifle tied? In the shows that I do, all firearms must be tied using plastic ties to keep the action from functioning. Magazines are also removed as they have a tendency to grow legs and walk away.
The rifle was not tied.

The Minnesota Weapons Collectors shows in this state require the zip ties - this particular event was not an MWCA show. The MWCA also mandates any show attendees have any firearms checked and tied before they can go in. Long time ago I was doing that and remembered to tell the fellow manning the check point (before I opened the action) that I had a snap cap in the chamber.

He thanked me for saving him from a heart attack.

Sugar River

Buckeye
About 10 years ago at the big local G.S. a seller was demonstrating for a potential customer how the disconnector in a 1911 would prevent the gun from firing.

Next thing you know: BOOM!

Luckily it hit the floor harmlessly.

Just one reason why I don't go to gun shows any more.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I don't remember the venue, but a few years back some antigun folks were caught loading guns at a gun show, presumably in the hopes of causing an incident. Having said that, it's ultimately the owners responsibility to ensure unloaded guns!

I was present at a show when a negligent discharge happened, fortunately before opening. A dealer was showing his CCW to another vendor. He dropped the magazine, and handed it to the other dealer, who pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger. Yup, one in the chamber!

We heard a loud bang, and my buddy and I looked at each other and said, "Oh yugo"! We were on the far side of the room, and I say a vendor near us, brushing dust off himself and looking up at the wall. The promoter walked into the room, and loudly asked if anyone was hurt? Everyone shook their heads, and he asked who fired the shot? Everyone pointed in the direction of the white faced guy holding the pistol! The promoter walked over, told both of them to pack up, and never come to one of his shows again.

I looked later, and there was a divot in the concrete, and a vendor on that aisle showed me the hole in his table skirt. He said the bullet missed hitting his wife in the leg by about a foot!
Same thing happened at a show in Dallas at a new venue. The place had carpet on the floor, was well-airconditioned with good concessions and ample parking. It happened right at opening day for the first show. They haven't had a show there since. :poop::mad:
I have read stories of Anti's loading guns at shows on more than one occasion.

rotor

Bearcat
During setup at a gun show in my city a vendors rifle went off, injured an employee. Vendor was excluded from the show. Don't know if more happened. Not an uncommon problem.

Not at a gun show but at one of the leagues I'm a member of at the range.
Often times people bring guns in to show people waiting to shoot, it's sort of a ready room
where people are cleaning or getting ready to shoot. A guy brings in a Contender single shot
in .35 Remington, uncases it and passes it to somebody to look at, that guy hands it to me and the first
thing I do is open the action...pull out a live round...I was not happy and proceeded to chew on the person that brought it
in. He just tries to laugh it off and the first guy that handled it claimed he didn't know how to open the action.
The attitude of the guns owner pretty much just "lit me up" I took the round over and tossed it in the trash can and had
a few choice words for him. His whole attitude just made me really want to punch him in the face, not so much because he made the
mistake, but the fact he didn't care.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
A buddy and I were at a gun show in Duluth MN. I picked up a 10/22 Sporter (with permission) and did the check-the-chamber-thing and a live round popped out onto the floor. Full magazine too. The two older gentlemen watching the half-dozen tables with 50+ guns were very surprised and apologetic.

I'm certain many here have had the same experience in one way or another, this is just my latest one.

You never know.........
I was at that same gun show, makes you think! I picked up some grips for my naa .22 and a j frame holster that's it.

Rum River

Bearcat
I was at that same gun show, makes you think! I picked up some grips for my naa .22 and a j frame holster that's it.
At least you bought something gun related - the only thing I spent money on were two pair of leather gloves.

crstrode

Single-Sixer
The shows I visit all require all firearms to have the actions tied open/inoperable with a cable tie, so they are incapable of being fired. Seems like a good practice.
Do they pat everyone down and run them through a metal detector as well?

jkbrecht

Bearcat
Gun store owners been known to get loaded guns in the mail too. :oops:

Twice while I was in our local "mom and pop" I watched the owner open the mail and pull out a loaded weapon. Once it was a 44 Carbine …. Another time it was a 1911 that was cocked and locked!
I can see that happening if the gun was sent to the gun store by someone with no idea how it operates. A surviving family member for instance. But still, the gun should not have been in that condition to begin with... On the other hand, a gun show exhibitor? Absolutely no excuse!

Not a gun show, but I was running a gun shop for a guy who had 4 stores and they all had their own specialty. About a year after I left and moved to Alaska, I heard the new guy showed a customer without checking the gun. The customer didn't check it either. The customer pulled the hammer back and pointed it toward the door window, pulled the trigger, the bullet left the barrel, went through glass in the door and killed the guy standing on the curb. The police decided something was wrong with the picture and checked the store down the street and found 2 other guns with a single bullet in each.
The original store owner of the one I ran lost all 4 stores that he had worked his whole life for. Ruined his life.

I'm still trying to figure out how close I came to a negligent discharge last night.... I had over the weekend 4 Sig P239's apart on my bench trying to convert one with a DAK trigger to DA/SA.... I still had three laid out last night and realized I needed to reload two and put them back in their place in the house... but the one I was converting the trigger on is still not right... So I loaded one of the ones I had put back together and laid it down and then thought I wonder which one of these is the one the trigger is not right on and picked up another one and pulled the trigger... nope not that one... then picked up another one and started to pull the trigger and all of a sudden thought... what the hell are you doing Blume?!!!! One of these damn things is loaded! Yes the loaded one had a magazine in it... but just to be honest there were other factors that could have contributed to a really bad thing happening.... late at night, past my bed time... after 2 shots of bourbon... I put all the pistols down and walked away......

gunman42782

Hunter
Worked in a gun shop for 7 years. Can't tell you how many times a customer handed me a gun and told me it wasn't loaded, when it was loaded. I ALWAYS checked. Whenever I showed them a brand new gun straight from the box, I ALWAYS checked. The boss one time took in a gun, put it in the books, and when I went to put it in the cabinet I checked it, and it was loaded! We used to rent guns, and when I took a .270 rifle off the rack and worked the bolt out came a live round! (This one really bothered me, as this gun was in a lazy Susan type display with a cord through the trigger guard. If the safety had been off, or if anyone would have pulled that trigger, even with the cord, there would have been a very load bang and a hole in the ceiling, not to mention some stained underwear! The only way this could have happend is if a customer actually put a live shell in it, or someone rented it, left the shell in it, and one of our guys didn't check it.) Always assume ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded until YOU proove otherwise. Never take anyones, and I mean anyones, word for it.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Sometimes we are our worst enemy in regards to this. I'm in a group that does a shoot once a year and we have a mandatory safety seminar before anyone can go to the private range.... this last time I helped with this and discussed that when ever you pick up a firearm the first thing you do is check to see if it is loaded. Then I went one step further and explained even if your best friend checks it in front of you and then tells you it is unloaded before they hand it to you the first thing you should do is check it again... there is no insult with doing this it is proper safe gun handling.
Yes, because ANYONE can have an AD! And when the unlucky stars align, it can be a bad day for a lot of people! I don't care how experienced anyone is….. it can still happen. Especially when folks get too comfortable!

Last edited:
Yes, because ANYONE can have an AD! And when the unlucky stars align, it can be a bad day for a lot of people! I don't care how experienced anyone is….. it can still happen. Especially when folks get too comfortable!
Complacency can kill you with many things. Safety is ultimately your responsibility

Cholo

Staff member
An Alabama teen was killed at a gun show I went to the day before. Someone was buying a holster and the vendor pulled out his loaded gun to show the fit. I don't know what happened next, but the gun discharged and shot the teen in the right eye. My memory tells me the father and son were an aisle over from the discharge. Terrible, and so avoidable :cry:

Not the best article, but...

Well I do have to admit that I had the pistol pointed sort of in a safe direction... the worst it might had done was kill a spray can of Rem oil and sprayed me with it. It would have been interesting to see how many sheet rock walls the hydro shock 357 Sig round would have gone through. Hopefully only 2 or 3 sheets....

I haven't been to a gun show in decades- I live in NJ. While not specifically illegal, NJ came up with a bunch of other rules that make them impossible to have. The one I went to was in Virginia. I know that these days the Virginia state police have to be on premises for background checks and other stuff but back then it was pretty much open territory, with a lot of semi-shady stuff going on. No one was checking for any safety anything, and loaded guns happened all over the place. Great show though, and I survived it. I am actually thinking of stepping over the border to PA to go to one with my son this coming year. Would be great as he is a collector.

Never had a problem at the ones I go to... but I don't go that often now... the interesting thing is how I got my S&W model 19 revolver.... I was interested in it and came back to look at it again and really wanted to buy it but a guy in front of me picked it up and said he wanted to buy it... this was a private sale not a dealer and in the conversation the guy said he had come down from N.C. just specifically to buy a model 19 like that... the guy selling the gun politely reached out and took the gun out of the guy's hand and told him that he could not sell it to him....him being out of state.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not to speak ill of the dead, but I used to know a guy who had a loaded 1911 on his table at a NH gunshow resulting in an AD.

Nope, that ain't what killed him, nobody was hurt, but he was banished from all future shows by that promoter, and his health started spiraling downhill afterward. Those shows were a huge part of his life, but I suspect he had some pre-existing underlying conditions and did not entirely die of regret and shame. But it couldn't have helped.

Latest posts