Loaded chamber indicator/Mag disconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Just bought my first MKIII pistol. It's a 5.5 in target model. Really nice and I'm really glad I bought it...

Now, it has the loaded chamber indicator and a mag disconnect... Laweritis is what I call it.

Any threads on how to disable the mag disconnect and to mod the loaded chamber indicator to leave the gap filled but disable the indicator?

I did a search but couldn't find anything.

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF.com Swift516...

Were you searching this sub-forum or the Rimfire one, I have a 6" Standard MKIII with the Mag DC and LCI. The LCI I just live with as it's more trouble than it's worth to remove. The Mag DC is removable I believe, but I don't know how, haven't bothered looking.

See about having this thread moved over to the Rimfire section, tons of .22 fans over there that should be able to answer this quickly.

Josh

Some folks like to remove them....

I've yet to find a reason to... Even though I don't use either really on my MKIII.... I like a loaded chamber indicator on my carry pistols... as for the mag disconnect on the MKIII: I have no need for it to be a single shot pistol, so this doesn't bother me either.

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
I have no trouble at all with those features on my Mk III (I agree with blume357). The mag safety makes no difference when shooting, and is only a slight inconvenience when disassembling/reassembling. I actually found the LCI useful last weekend at the range, when I was using some bulk Federal ammo, and every once in a while the first round wouldn't chamber when I released the bolt...I liked having the LCI tell me there wasn't a round in the chamber...

Dan

Specs

Single-Sixer
My new MK III works fine with the "improvements" and no problems, but I have read that the LCI has caused some to have problems. I am really sorry that Ruger has "discovered" plastic.

Ski

Bearcat
Swift516":az0dm4ae said:
Just bought my first MKIII pistol. It's a 5.5 in target model. Really nice and I'm really glad I bought it...

Now, it has the loaded chamber indicator and a mag disconnect... Laweritis is what I call it.

Any threads on how to disable the mag disconnect and to mod the loaded chamber indicator to leave the gap filled but disable the indicator?

Both can be done but like the others mentioned above, I have not seen the need to do so (yet anyway). If you can not find the how to info in the rimfire section on this forum, try either of the following forums....

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

or

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/index.php

Both are sources for good info.

billbeamon

Bearcat
Swift516":1nkjrao1 said:

======================================
Try here- the new bushing method is cleaner:
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/16 ... -45-a.html

Look a couple of postings down for two URLs..
http://www.1bad69.com also has good Ruger MKII/III infi...
Bill

I've never heard of the mag safety improving the trigger. I have heard of folks buying after market parts to improve the trigger on these... and to be honest, on my MKIII I can imagine it. the trigger is just about as perfect as possible,,, in fact I think if it was any lighter it would be dangerous.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I've heard of it, but I've never bothered to do it with my MK III (22/45). You'd have to be a lot more experienced shooter than I am to tell if the trigger was any "better" than it was out of the box.

The LCI has come in handy at the range a time or two to confirm that a round had indeed been picked up and chambered.

Specs

Single-Sixer
CajunBass":3v3nbxuj said:
I've heard of it, but I've never bothered to do it with my MK III (22/45). You'd have to be a lot more experienced shooter than I am to tell if the trigger was any "better" than it was out of the box.

The LCI has come in handy at the range a time or two to confirm that a round had indeed been picked up and chambered.

I'm with you on this one. I can't tell if I have a bad trigger on any of my guns, I'm used to them the way they are. I don't know if modifying a safety feature on a pistol or rifle increases your risk of problems if an AD happens and someone is hit, but being a purist I would just as soon not modify any of my guns.Wiser folks than I engineered them and created them..

I have launched thousands of rounds through my old MK I as well as my newer MK III and see no reason to remove/modify anything on the MK III. It is fine as it is. If you remove the LCI then you still have a piece of plastic there OR you have a hole. I also think the mag release on the MK III is way better than the release system on the older models (my opinion only).

sc3283

Bearcat
mine has 500 flawless rounds run through it....has been perfect every shot...so it will stay as sold

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
O.K., so as an update to my previous post, after finding out just how easy it is to remove the LCI, I did remove it, and subjectively (based on one day at the range, and about 200 rounds), my Mark III did seem to run better: no FTF, only one FTE with the bulk Federal ammo that has occasionally caused me some trouble.

I'm perfectly content with the stock trigger, myself, BTW.

Dan

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
When I did the surgery on my 2245 MKIII last Sat. I took out the mag safety (among the other things I did) Reasons: 1) Easier "seating" of mag when inserting. 2)easier/snappier removal of mag when pressing mag release button, it almost "shoot" out. and 3) easier take-down procedure for cleaning - no need to insert mag to pull trigger. Otherwise is put mag in pull trigger, take mag out, do this do that, then put mag back in, pull trigger again, the take mag out.......

hutchman

Blackhawk
Okay, here is a picture of my MK III with the LCI removed.

779592473_8dA2T-M.jpg

The filler is from bpatza on rimfire central. He built some prototypes and sold them.....he is now working on making them in larger numbers and has yet to work out the final price.

However, if you want one, be sure to go over the rimfirecentral and let him know that you do.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showth ... p?t=310919