Load Recommendations for Hawkeye 308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
I purchased a new Ruger Hawkeye 77 in .308 win this weekend. I saw it at a local shop (Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine) and could not resist. I plan to use the gun for hunting (deer) and for fun at the range. I mounted a Leupold VXIII variable scope (3.5-10x) last night and took it to the range to zero it this morning.

The only ammo that I had available was some Prvi Partizan .308 Win (147gr, FMJ). I had bought several boxes a while ago because a local shop had some on sale.

The gun shot OK with the Prvi ammo, but it wasn't excessively accurate. At 100 yards, my first two shots were in the ten ring of a standard NRA 100 yard small bore target and I was psyched. But then the third shot was at 9 o' clock on the 7 ring.

I was seated and using a padded wooden block as a bench support for the gun.

I let the rifle cool down (shot my Marlin 22) and then shot several more 3 shot strings. The shots were in the black on the target, but the grouping wasn't impressive. The shots stayed in the black, but were all over the place. My groups were tigher with my Marlin 1894 lever action using iron sights!

I'm sure I can improve my technique, but I think a better load might also help.

I was looking for some recommended factory and also handloaded loads for my new Hawkeye in 308.

What type of factory ammo does your Hawkeye like?

Do you have any recommended 308 handloads? I haven't yet bought the dies and components to reload in 308 yet, but I plan to very soon.

Thanks in advance.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
150gr bullets(I use Nosler PAR) and 51gr of Win 748 with a mag(or regular) primer works well for me. The 125-130gr bullets with Win 748 or Benchmark also works.
Check all the stock screws and slide a business card down between the barrel and the stock. It should pass freely until you get to the end of the forearm where there should be some upward pressure from the stock to the barrel.
Cannot help you with factory as I only shoot my handloads.

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks Divernhunter for the load recommendation and the tip regarding the stock.

I will check the stock/barrel fit and see it looks good.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I read your posts. I would try several types of ammo first before tearing into your new rifle. Federal and Winchester ammo seem to be best for me. I stay would in the 150-165 grain with the .308. Nosler and Barnes bullets seem fine.

You mentioned a padded wooden block as your rest. Do you have the butt supported too? I dont think you need a benchrest set-up but bags at both ends helps. I have found the best rest you can get will give you the best results. Make sure you are not resting on the front swivel.

Did you clean well before first firing? Windy?

Check all stock screws- Hawkeye has 3 the end trigger guard screw should tight and the front screw you mentioned 95 inch pounds sounds high I believe it is 65 inch pounds but you will need a inch pound torque wrench. In its absence I just tighten it good and snug-should take some effort also the front screw should be tighten first. The middle trigger guard screw just needs to be snug so it will not back out.

Check your scope screws again.

I would not be too concerned yet about the stock fit it sounds close to normal from your explaination.

Really conentrate on your technique-breathig etc. just like Dad taught ya.

Good Shooting, Steve

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks Steve Land for the very helpful post - I wish I had read your post before this evening!

I bought a torque wrench (with settings down to 5 Ft Lbs) and took apart the gun this evening. I removed the barreled action and wiped down the action with an lightly oiled cloth. Then I inspected the interior of the stock and removed some flakes/splinters of wood (using my fingernail to pull the flakes out - they were on the left side of the stock closer to the receiver) then reassembled the gun.

When I torqued the screws down, I had placed a business card on each side of the barrel to act as spacers. I then torqued the main screw down (the one that holds the magazine cover assembly) to approx 95 in lbs (about 7.9 ft lbs). I then torqued the screws that hold the trigger guard in evenly (alternated with partial turns for each screw).

Now the barrel looks more centered in the stock. However, when I grab near the end of the forend, I can hear/detect some slight lateral play (left to right) in the stock. There doesn't appear to be any up and down play - the forend has contact at this end. However, there is a tiny amount of lateral play if I grab the foreend and push it to the left or right. I can hear a little squeaking or something of the wood and feel a little play.

I checked the torque and the main screw is snug and is set around 7.9ftlbs. Also, the trigger guard screws seem snug as well. The receiver is firm in the stock - I just detect the slightest lateral movement near the end of the forend (about a couple of inches away from the foreend tip).

Should I be worried about this slight lateral play? It is annoying, but there doesn't appear to be any up and down play, and the receiver is tightly fit to the stock. If I support the rifle holding the checkered part of the forearm it feels solid and I don't detect any flexing of the stock.

I also bought some Winchester ammo from Walmart this afternoon (.308 Win, 150 gr with PowerPoint tip) and hope to go to the range tomorrow AM to test the rifle out.

By the way, when my dad was in the Army he was a photographer (did aerial photos for maps, etc.) and was issued a little M1 Carbine (.30 cal). He actually did teach me breathing techniques for shooting, but in the context of photography! I remember that as a kid he would show me how to support the camera with left arm with the elbow against the torso to support the weight of the camera. He also taught me how to steady the camera with breathing techniques to help take a good photo.

My dad also did have a Crossman single action revolver that I would practice plinking with. It looked and handled just like a Colt single action and I think that's where I developed an interest in single action revolvers.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
IrvJr- I would not worry about that stock movement. I tried that on mine and it was the same. Sounds all normal for a M77 and there will be contact at the fore end with the barrel it was designed that way.

Power Point has always been a great shooting ammo for me. Tell me how your time at the range goes.Great story about your Dad.

Good shooting-Steve

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks Steve. I probably won't be able to go to the range till the weekend, but I will post an update once I've been able to shoot some different loads through it. I hope to go to the local gun shop to pick up some additional loads with different bullet weights.

Thanks again for your helpful posts.