load info for 255gr LSWC 45 colt and NM Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A1tommygun

Bearcat
I just picked up some 255gr. LSWC in 45 colt .452 dia. an would like to workup a load for my NM Blackhack w/ 4 5/8 in. barrel. I am thinking I would like to push them around 1000 f/s. Does that sound right? Or can I push them harder and still avoid leading issues? I am not trying to make a Magnum load I would just like to have something with a little more snot than a standard 45 load and that can be easily handled by a Blackhawk.

Though I have been loading for many years, I have mainly used jacketed bullets and don't have much cast bullet reload data. I have on hand 2400, Bullseye, Unique, W296 and maybe some others.

Any info or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

sixshot

Buckeye
You've picked a very good caliber, try it with 9 grs of Unique for around 1000 fps, 18.5 grs of 2400 will run usually run 1100+ fps.
Any leading that might occur won't be from pushing them to fast, its usually the other way around, many people shoot them too slow & they don't seal & you end up with leading. You need good bullet fit & the slugs don't have to be hard. Many people are caught up in the really hard cast slugs, its not necessary unless you are really leaning on them!

Dick

Rclark

Hunter
I am using 8.5g of Unique with 250 RNFP. It's supposed to be around 900-950fps. I don't have a chrono to check though. This is my 'working' load. I tried 19g of 2400 with jacketed bullets, but that was a bit to stiff for general shooting.... I use 6g of Trailboss for my plinking, target loads. Both of my .45s have 5 1/2 barrels.