Load for .32 Mag with 100 grain XTP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I have used the 115 grain cast bullets with H110 and would like to use some 100 grain Hornady XTP jacketed bullets in my Single Six. Has anyone had experience with this bullet and H110? I plan to use Starline brass.

Thanks!

Cedar Creek

BenT

Bearcat
I used 10.5 gr of H110 with that bullet . In the 32-20 I push it harder with 13 gr and it groups good.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
Thanks! Something like that is about what I was thinking. I also used 13 grains of H110 with the 100 gr XTP in my Marlin 1894 CL about 10 or 12 years ago - relly accurate load.

Cedar Creek

dougader

Hunter
I haven't loaded up any xtp's yet, but I've loaded up to 10.9 grains WW296 with the Sierra 90 grain jhp. They shot great and IMO there was room to load hotter if I wanted to... only in a Ruger Single Six or SP101, though... I wouldn't load an H&R up past book specs.

BenT

Bearcat
That's what I shoot my 32-20's in is a Marlin . My buddy shoots them in his Blackhawk. Talk about feeling the percussion.

Are you actually able to find any 32 jacketed bulllets? I heard that Hornady hasn't made any for a year now. I'm down to my last 100.
I cast 93gr for my pistol but have been thinking about 115gr GC for my Marlin since jacketed bullet are sarce.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I have part of a box left from when I used to shoot them in my Marlin; I have used cast bullets most of the time in it now. A friend sold his .32-20 and gave me a new box of Hornady bullets he had left.

I looked three or four places and couldn't find any Hornady .32 bullets at all. That might be right about Hornady not producing any.

My plan is to load some fairly warm loads in Starline brass for field loads and use the Federal brass I have for target loads.

Cedar Creek

I have a regular single-six .32 I got back in the mid 80's and a new Vaquero-style single-six .32 that shoot fine, but I always seem topick up the older one when I go to the woods. Maybe it's those ugly faux ivory grips on the new one. :oops:

A

Anonymous

In the single six, I have shot 2400 with the 100 ge. XTP bullet

8.5 grs. gets it going 1169ish and 10.5 gr. does 1350ish. These loads, while hot by factory standards, do not seem to phase the single six and extraction is free and easy.

For some reason I consistently get higher velocities from the single six than I get with the model 16 Smith, even though the model 16 has a little longer barrel.

Rainman

Blackhawk
For some reason I was thinking I had read somewhere H-110 needed a hotter primer for a complete burn.

I'm like you guys, I'm down to my last 50 on the 100gr XTPs. I've been able to find 85s here and there but no 100s.

This will be my first try at using H-110 in the 32 H&R and 32-20. I have previously used Unique.

Dan

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I don't have a .32-20 pistol, but the load I use now in my Marlin 1894CL is 5 grains of Unique and the 115 grain cast bullet. It is not hot, just very accurate and pleasant. Makes a great "loafing rifle". 8)

I also have some DuPont PB powder that someone gave me - it also works great with the 115 grain bullet.

Cedar Creek

BenT

Bearcat
Rainman , I think with such a small case ,that mag primers aren't needed. There is plenty of flame with standard primers. I did have that problem in my Blackhawk 45 LC last summer. I used H110 with Winchester primers with no problems. I ran out of Win primers and bought CCI's . Well I got a bullet stuck about an inch into my barrel when the powder didn't ingnite. That's when I learned that Winchester doesn't make Magnum pistol primers, Their regular primer states that is good for magnum loads.
So since I had 2 bricks of CCI's I had to find a new load with 2400. But I've never had a problem with H110 and standard primers in my 32 H&R. I also use small rifle primers in the 32-20 in my Marlin. It was what Brian Pierce recommended in Handloader and I got rid of my 222 and have nothing else to use the small rifle primers in. I aslo use AA5 for lighter loads with good results in 32 SW long and H&R.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I had a chance to try my 100 grain XTP loads recently. I started with 10 grains of H110 and a standard W-W small pistol primer - oh, yeah! Super accurate load and shoots exactly to the point of aim my 4 5/8" Single Six is set for at about 25 yards. I love it! 8)

I think I will probably go up to 10.5 grains of H110 on my next batch; super bullet/powder/primer combination in my gun.

Thanks for the input!

Cedar Creek