Load data for .45 Cowboy Special ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I started on this project with my .45 ACP NV Birds Head revolver last year and now getting back to it.
The Starline Cowboy Special brass has been out for a while now and am looking for load data using Unique,Power Pistol or Red Dot with some 250 gr hard cast SWC bullets I have.

Problem is if you seat bullet to the crimp groove the bullet will be about .070 deeper into the case which is same case size as the .45 ACP. This will raise the pressures to an unkown level if using .45 ACP load data.
I could just seat bullet to just below the bottom of the groove and then just taper crimp a bit more than a standard ACP round and then use mid range load data for 250 gr. .45 ACP loads.

It would be nice though to seat to crimp groove to make it look correct and then adjust the load down.
But how much lower is the question.

The cylinder throats have been opened up to .4525 to allow the .45 Colt style bullets to chamber and function correctly.
Bullets pictured are 255 gr Xtreme plated seated to give correct .45 ACP case volume and not the SWC cast bullets.

U490RMS.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Solution found.....45 Auto Rim loads. Found a bunch using 200-270 gr. cast bullets with crimp grooves!

Reactions: JCK

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Trail Boss is one of the best metering flake style powders I have ever used.
Due to it's large bulk it also meters more accurately than other flake powders.
Unique,700X,800X,Red Dot, etc. meter good enough but not as good as Trail Boss.

reeselajara51

Bearcat
Trail Boss is one of the best metering flake style powders I have ever used.
Due to it's large bulk it also meters more accurately than other flake powders.
Unique,700X,800X,Red Dot, etc. meter good enough but not as good as Trail Boss.
red dot and unique work great for me when reloading the 45 special with 255 gr bullet why use anything else clean cases and great velocities around 900 + fps