Little Issue with New Single Six Rssolved:Kinda

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wasp

🇺🇸
Preface:
I have been wanting a Single Six for along time, this exact model and caliber, everything. I have had health issues for a few years now so money has been really tight, but I finally got up most of the money and sold a knife to make up the difference when I found this one last week online.

These are rare to find these days, but I found this one from an online distributor for a fair price. I ordered and it came in yesterday, and with the holidays it came after the store closed but the dealer called and told me to come in and he'd process it anyway, so that's what I did.

I was in a hurry when I got there because the dealer stayed forty five minutes after. I still looked it over (quickly) and checked for function, everything looked great, so I did the paperwork.

The issue:
I got home and looked it over even closer. I saw two gouges on the frame below both grip screws, one even has a burr. I looked in the screw hole and one of the screws is buggered too. Then I noticed the rear sight is way to the right and the screw is almost completely backed out.

I don't think it was the distributor, the gun was still wrapped up tight in plastic and everything in order just like you'd expect.

I think it missed QC at Ruger.

I'll be honest, I'm heartbroken. I have wanted one for a really long time, and it wasn't easy to get the money together, much less find one. I'm more upset than I care to admit to strangers. I wanted to pass this to my granddaughter one day. I even had a little money left from the knife I sold and decided to get some Chig grips too, just to make it heirloom.

So, I guess I should call Ruger. But these aren't in production from my understanding, so not sure what they can do?

Chad at Chigs is waiting on the frame, which I might send before sending to Ruger, but if they replace the frame then It might be different, and he makes them to the frame.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

This may not seem like a big deal to a few of you, but it's big to me for the reasons I mentioned, so please don't- with the "just shoot it".
20221222_102106.jpg 20221222_102127.jpg 20221222_102317.jpg 20221222_102138.jpg 20221222_102146.jpg

Enigma

Hunter
You'll never know what Ruger can do until you contact them. To me, that gun appears to be used. I would suspect that the barrel is either under or over timed due to the adjustment of the rear sight - is the front sight at Top Dead Center? Does it have firing residue in the cylinder? Call Ruger, and politely request a return label, after you politely describe the problems that you found.

Wasp

🇺🇸
You'll never know what Ruger can do until you contact them. To me, that gun appears to be used. I would suspect that the barrel is either under or over timed due to the adjustment of the rear sight - is the front sight at Top Dead Center? Does it have firing residue in the cylinder? Call Ruger, and politely request a return label, after you politely describe the problems that you found.
I looked, only three chambers had been fired through, looked like factory test because it's very clean.

I just looked at the front sight, it looks like it's timed right to my eye. I had a J frame that was off before so I know what you mean.
The sight could just be out of adjustment, but I haven't fired it yet to check, not until I talked to Ruger, plus the storm is blowing in.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I understand and feel your frustration! But i don't think it's as bad as it seems.

If you choose to send it back to Ruger, when you call them, ask for a prepaid shipping label if they don't offer one. Not in production won't mean they can't fix it. And the turn around is no longer than 2 weeks. Their service is top notch!

I don't think it came from Ruger with the sight adjusted like that and a buggered grip frame screw but I guess anything is possible.

Well you checked to see if it was fired yet. From the high adjustment it obviously shot high for someone, which means the front sight needs filing down a bit. Then you could adjust the rear sight back down.
It shot to the left for whomever adjusted the windage but might be different for your eyes and allow the sight to be moved back closer to center.

Ruger will send you a free screw to replace the buggered one if you call (336) 949-5200. They send free parts up to about $20 worth so ask for several screws to give you a few spares, The rub marks thru the finish on the grip frame are not uncommon and can be touched up with a black felt tip pen. And the first scratch you get on the gun won't bother you near as much. But if you don't work on guns, you'll be happy sending it back to Ruger. I haven't sent many back to Ruger, but I sent one with a front sight problem and I still wasn't happy when I got it back so I called them and sent it back again and they fixed it to me satisfaction. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

Wasp

🇺🇸
Yes, I've looked, the front of the cylinders, only three were fired (factory test?), and the muzzle is very clean. In fact, despite these issues, the whole pistol looks clean.

I have used their service before for an SP101 9MM. They ended up refunding my money because they tried to fix it three times and offered to replace or refund. They did take care of me when they couldn't resolve it, so I know they stand behind their products.

After I talk to them I'll see if they want me to shoot it first to see where it hits in regards to the sights. Hopefully it's just out of adjustment. Lol

I do want the frame fixed though. I know how to work on guns, but I'd prefer it was just, right.

those marks on the grip frame are from using a "sears" type screwdriver instead of the hollow ground straight shank, will happen everytime, touch the scratches up with a bit of Aluminum Black...........that windage screw is indeed out out to far to the right
screw' in the rear sight, the blade is over,right of center???screw it in, center it and then test fire...........best of luck and Happy Holidays.;)

Last edited:
I have a couple extra XR3-RED grip frames that I think are in good shape. I'd be happy to send you one, however the chances of it fitting the frame properly are very slim. My thought is let Ruger make it right. A new gun should be perfect.

Wasp

🇺🇸
That gun is used, regardless of what you were told before buying. Just another reason I will never pay money for a used firearm.
Why do you think that? I inspected it and it looks new as far as the front ofvthe cylinders, muzzle, etc, except for factory test shots it was wrapped in plastic, spare cylinder in bubble wrap. The paperwork is still behind the foam in the lid.

It's possible I guess, but doesn't look it.

I doubt it's used. But what I don't doubt, is the monkeys in assembly don't always have a lot of finesse. I've received guns from Ruger with rub marks and buggered screw heads. I usually fix them myself, but I also don't discount the right of a person to expect a factory-perfect gun. Let Ruger fix it. Then you can take it to the range and put your own rub marks on it.;)

Wasp

🇺🇸
I doubt it's used. But what I don't doubt, is the monkeys in assembly don't always have a lot of finesse. I've received guns from Ruger with rub marks and buggered screw heads. I usually fix them myself, but I also don't discount the right of a person to expect a factory-perfect gun. Let Ruger fix it. Then you can take it to the range and put your own rub marks on it.;)
I have too, once. I agree. I'll call Monday.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
If Ruger won't replace the grip frame I've got a new one that came off one of the single sixes fixed sight model Bobby Tyler customized for me. It's new alloy frame and I'll be happy to send it to you if you like. I Also have a new set of screws I can send as well. And checkered grip panels if you need them as well.

Regards
Jim

Wasp

🇺🇸
If Ruger won't replace the grip frame I've got a new one that came off one of the single sixes fixed sight model Bobby Tyler customized for me. It's new alloy frame and I'll be happy to send it to you if you like. I Also have a new set of screws I can send as well. And checkered grip panels if you need them as well.

Regards
Jim
Thank you Jim, very gracious and I appreciate it. I'll see what they're going to do at the first of the week and will update the thread.

Thanks,
Chris

G2

Hunter
FWIW;
I think Ruger is closed till just after the new year.
They will have the parts to make it right.

Doc44ga

Bearcat
From the pictures and the handling marks it may have been dropped. I agree with the others, the best thing to do is send it to Ruger for a full inspection and repair.

Doc

Johnnu2

Hunter

Regards
Jim
And THIS is exactly why we refer to each other on this forum as "FAMILY"....

J.

Wasp

🇺🇸
Okay, I contacted the distributor and they gave me a return label and said they'd be glad to give me a refund. I'm disappointed but I'll find another.

Thank you to all that commented and the generous offer to help me with a replacement frame.

I do believe Ruger would likely address the issue. However, I'd rather get a good kne from the start if possible.

Glad to hear that just may work out for you , good to have the distributor on your side ,,,so they "know"......its easier when they have a few in inventory then they can just go out back and get another, make things right...again, if I had it here in a matter of minutes it would have been all taken care of, that's how we ran our shops.......Full service.......do miss those days......:cool:;)