Lipsey's Ruger rifle quality vs. standard Ruger production

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I pick up my 7x57 Lipsey RSI last week and was comparing it to my 308 Hawkeye RSI and the quality of the checkering and stock fit is much nicer on the Lipsey's model. The stock also has the nicest figure of any rifle in my meager collection

I also noticed that the checkering pattern is different than on my standard production model.

Does anyone know if Lipsey's dictates the quality standards and checkering pattern on these special editions?

I would like to here your thoughts on this topic.

I have developed quite a fondness for the handling qualities of the RSI and would love to see one of these stainless/walnut variations in 358.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
BB Rvlr said:
....... and would love to see one of these stainless/walnut variations in 358.

I'd be interested in one myself. Love the Lipsey's exclusives.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
BB Rvlr said:
I have developed quite a fondness for the handling qualities of the RSI and would love to see one of these stainless/walnut variations in 358.

Lipsey's says the barrel OD is too large to make that work. I swapped some emails with Jason 3 - 4 years ago on this, and he indicated that 338 Federal might be possible.

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
Trey Whitley said:
Lipsey's says the barrel OD is too large to make that work.

Another dream shattered by simple logistics. :wink: Guess I'll have to look at other options if I want a .358

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
BB Rvlr said:
I pick up my 7x57 Lipsey RSI last week and was comparing it to my 308 Hawkeye RSI and the quality of the checkering and stock fit is much nicer on the Lipsey's model. The stock also has the nicest figure of any rifle in my meager collection

I also noticed that the checkering pattern is different than on my standard production model.

Does anyone know if Lipsey's dictates the quality standards and checkering pattern on these special editions?

I would like to here your thoughts on this topic.

I don't know about the M77's, but on the Lipsey #1 exclusives, they often use Circassian walnut, and Ruger always uses a different/more extensive checkering pattern on the circassian stocked rifles. Could be your rifle has circassian which would expalin the checkering and the figure.

Con

Bearcat
BB Rvlr said:
Trey Whitley said:
Lipsey's says the barrel OD is too large to make that work.

Another dream shattered by simple logistics. :wink: Guess I'll have to look at other options if I want a .358

They could tweek the profile ... as was done on the MkII 350RemMag. It was a unique profile ever so slightly heavier than the MkII 338WinMag's. Manufacturers hate running close to absolute limits though, so an RSI in 35cal would require a custom barrel maker, but a 338cal is easy.
Cheers...
Con

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'm not buyin the story about barrel profile. A 358 should be no different than any other standard profile.

My 350 rem mag was put into a laminated stock that was off a 243 sporter model. Of course Ruger had the standard answer that it will not fit. The only difference with the 350 and the wsm and saum's is that the mag well is a few fractions of an inch wider....action and barrel profiles are tbe same as every other short action.

I'm guessing the 358's are the same. Until someone with a 358 hawkeye tells me it won't fit a stock from a 243,7-08,308,etc. I'm not believing it.

Jeff

RJ556

Buckeye
I would like to make a comment here, if I may. A person on another forum recently made a statement about Ruger barrel profiles. He said that Ruger used only 3 barrel profiles for the #1 and that the profile of the #1 RSI barrel was the same as the 1A. This did not sound correct to me. I do believe that the #1 RSI and M77 RSI use the same barrel profile. So, last night I measured the diameter of an M77 RSI, just in back of the front sight. I also measured the diameter of the barrel of one of my 1A's at the same distance from the receiver that I measured the dia. on the RSI. The 1A's barrel, at that point was a full .100" larger in diameter. That being the case, the RSI barrel profile would indeed be too small to support a .35" bore. The .35" bore of the Whelen is pushing it as it is in a 1A.

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund said:
I don't know about the M77's, but on the Lipsey #1 exclusives, they often use Circassian walnut, and Ruger always uses a different/more extensive checkering pattern on the circassian stocked rifles. Could be your rifle has circassian which would explain the checkering and the figure.

I don't have much experience with Circassian walnut other than handling one of the Ruger Boy Scout commemorative models recently and I am pretty sure my RSI is not Circassian.

Seems like this thread kind of got sidetracked by the .358 RSI discussion which I don't fully understand considering how easy this should be (at least in my mind) with modern CNC manufacturing techniques.

Anyway... I would still love to hear of other people's experiences with Lipsey's models and if theirs has been as positive as mine.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Trying not to to swerve off thread......my Lipseys one of one thousand 44 Special revolver is superb and many have noted the superb quality of this recent Lipsey run.

dgoalie

Bearcat
I have a MKII RSI and one of the Lipsey's 7x57 stainless RSIs. The wood on each is about the same and the checkering is the same. Of course the stainless and walnut is a prettier rifle in my opinion, but that is personal taste. I wonder if the Lipsey's run used MKII wood that was laying around. That might be different than the Hawkeye RSIs.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The only Lipseys item I have is a No. 1A, and comparing it to my No. 1B standard production, the L is not specifically any better. The L does have good wood, but that is not a guarantee. Its not Circassian, and actually the Lipseys guns that were supposed to be American Walnut that got Circassian are extremely rare. The two runs I know about were less than 10 rifles each.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
mattsbox99 said:
The only Lipseys item I have is a No. 1A, and comparing it to my No. 1B standard production, the L is not specifically any better. The L does have good wood, but that is not a guarantee. Its not Circassian, and actually the Lipseys guns that were supposed to be American Walnut that got Circassian are extremely rare. The two runs I know about were less than 10 rifles each.

I may be the only person in the world with this opinion, but I do not like the Cicassian stocks all that much~interesting, but the ones I've seen don't do much for me, the nice regular full figured (I know the exception) walnut option is much more attractive to my eyes. IF a Cicassian shows up in the wood lottery, I'd keep it, but nothing I'm trying to actively acquire.

sebtool

Blackhawk
I've got a Lipsey's SP101 I'm pretty fond of. As far as I can tell, the only difference besides the green box is the shadow grey(beadlasted?) finish. Others I checked out have compared favorably both fit and finish wise as far as quality goes.
Can't say the same for overall appearance, as polished stainless doesn't do anything for me on a gun, it's too generic. I'd just as soon have a blue finish. But then again, I'm told that I'm kinda strange - go figger. :?

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have a Lipsey's #1A in 35 Whelen. There is a bugger in the finish on the forend. Also the butstock metal to wood fit is poor. I'm about to send it back to Ruger. :cry:

I would say this rifle did not receive any special attention.

Corbi

mattsbox99

Hunter
They don't, although it would be nice if they did. We do pay a premium for the Lipsey's guns, they should be a little nicer than the regular guns.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I doubt it has circassian walnut if it's not advertised that way, but with Ruger you never know. Either way it's not used for cosmetic reasons. Circassian walnut is generally denser and considered a better quality gunstock material than American walnut. It is more expensive. Both can be finely figured or very plain or anything in between. Once you have seen them both it is easy to tell the difference. I believe the bolt action RSIs use their own (thin) barrel profile. There is definitely not enough meat in that barrel to go to 358 cal. which would make it no small project on an RSI. I am a fan of the 358 Win and would love an RSI in that caliber but it would be an expensive proposition.

Single-Sixer
I just want a .358 or even .348 Win. Number One. Whatever it takes to make it.

picketpin

Buckeye
I got a 264 Win Mag #1 B from Ruger last August in exchange for an older #1 that had "Issues" that they could not fixed. I asked for "Decent Wood" it showed up with C walnut as far as I can tell. It's certainly lighter in color with dark veins in it that the rest of my #1s AND the the wood IS denser.

Sometimes "stuff" just happens at Ruger..

Ross