Lipsey's GP100 44 Special cylinder won't turn without help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjac

Bearcat
In an unloaded condition (as in dry firing) in DA or SA the action works as it should, ie; the cylinder turns. However, when loaded and after a round is fired in DA or SA, the cylinder, with hammer pulled back part way must be rotated by hand. When the cylinder is advanced to fire another round, the hammer can be operated in DA or SA as normal. Firing again, as I outlined above repeats itself.

Poor crimps are not locking the gun up. I fact the cylinder can always turn but must be helped.

The gun is at my Smith's but thought I would ask here so I might be able to give him any other info. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Cholo

Staff member
1) The next time it happens open the cylinder and dump the live rounds out. I believe you'll find one or more of the primers aren't seated flush, or better yet .001-.002 deep.

2) What hittman said.

Sounds like the just fired round is binding against the recoil shield. Then, when you help the cylinder the next round is not binding and when you rotate the cylinder again by operating the trigger (DA mode) or the hammer (SA mode) the cylinder rotates normally and when you fire it that fired round is binding against the recoil shield again. It could be that the clearance is a bit small and you won't notice it when there are no rounds in the cylinder chambers.

This is my best guess without having the gun in front of me.

Hopefully your gunsmith will check, with feeler gages, to see what the rear clearance is without and with ammo in the chambers.

mjac

Bearcat
Sounds like the just fired round is binding against the recoil shield. Then, when you help the cylinder the next round is not binding and when you rotate the cylinder again by operating the trigger (DA mode) or the hammer (SA mode) the cylinder rotates normally and when you fire it that fired round is binding against the recoil shield again. It could be that the clearance is a bit small and you won't notice it when there are no rounds in the cylinder chambers.

This is my best guess without having the gun in front of me.

Hopefully your gunsmith will check, with feeler gages, to see what the rear clearance is without and with ammo in the chambers.
Many thanks. I'll pass this on.

Cholo

Staff member
At the opposite end of what RoninPA said: Have your smith check the barrel/cylinder gap. I've had one Ruger and one S&W that had the gap way too tight. If I fired a round or two and the cylinder would bind against the forcing cone.

I believe your answer is in one or more of the posts above.

mjac

Bearcat
Many thanks. I'll pass this on.
I have spoken with my smith and we both thank you for your suggestion. He has fired a primed case just to see if it created a problem but there were no results. Next is a live fire event, hopefully tonight.

Ron IL

Bearcat
That sounds like what my 357 was doing. And it only did it with Winchester cases. All the others were OK. I tried several things with no luck. Then one day I cleaned the cylinders with some cleaner and a brush in a drill and took off the trigger unit and flushed it out and oiled it. Never had another problem with it. Went back to putting the Winchester cases back in my reloads. It runs anything now.

mjac

Bearcat
My smith has learned via email my 44 spl has been repaired and is on its back to him. No details regarding the repair were noted in the email.
Smith will test fire upon arrival and hopefully release it to me next week. More details will follow as they become available.

Latest posts