Lipsey's Flattop 45 Colt Base Pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
The base pin on my flattop will come completely out of the gun while the ERH is still in place. This is not happening while shooting but during the removal of the cylinders. Isn't the base pin latch supposed to keep the base pin from coming all the way out?

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, that is the way it is. Shorter base pins. All my 'medium' frame revolvers do that. Same with the Single Six that I have.

No, the base pin latch only keeps the base pin in place while shooting. You will note on the large frame, the base pin bumps into the ejector handle preventing it from coming out.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
R/Bud,

The base pin latch may but a slight tension on the cyl pin but is not supposed to retain it. However a simple modification will:
The cylinder pin in the background has had another cannalure added near the back end so the pin is retained when making cylinder changes in the field so you don't have to worry about dropping the pin in the dirt. The front edge of the cannalure is tapered so you can just push the pin in w/o having to press the latch.

orig.jpg

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all. I purchased a Belt Mountain #5 but I think I need to smooth it out some. When the #5 is installed the cylinder seems to not turn as easily as when the OEM pin is in place. I'm thinking I need to hit the #5 with a bit of emery cloth to reduce the diameter slightly. Will put that on my to do list.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Bud0505 said:
Thanks to all. I purchased a Belt Mountain #5 but I think I need to smooth it out some. When the #5 is installed the cylinder seems to not turn as easily as when the OEM pin is in place. I'm thinking I need to hit the #5 with a bit of emery cloth to reduce the diameter slightly. Will put that on my to do list.
...or don't tighten the set screw too much.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I had the set screw tightened down. How does that keep the cylinder from turning freely?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bud0505 said:
I had the set screw tightened down. How does that keep the cylinder from turning freely?

It can put a slight flexing tension on the cyl pin when tightened excessively. Does the cyl turn more freely with set screw loosened. That's the only way I've ever heard of cyls not turning freely with Belt Mtn pins.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I will check it when i get home. Currently in Okc watching tornado warnings on the hotel tv. Won't be home until June 1.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I reinstalled the #5 pin and did not tighten the set screw and the cylinder still does turn as freely as with the original base pin. I read in another post a recommendation of shoe shining the base pin with crocus cloth while it is spinning in a drill. What grit of crocus is recommended for this process?

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
To utilize the set screw's locking feature without flexing the base pin you can drill a shallow detent into the barrel where the set screw contacts. 1/32" deep or so will do it. When you insert the set screw back in place leave it about ¼ turn shy of touching the barrel. This detent gives the set screw a place to go to lock the base pin without undue pressure against the base pin.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Thanks gun cat

quote="Gun_Cat"]To utilize the set screw's locking feature without flexing the base pin you can drill a shallow detent into the barrel where the set screw contacts. 1/32" deep or so will do it. When you insert the set screw back in place leave it about ¼ turn shy of touching the barrel. This detent gives the set screw a place to go to lock the base pin without undue pressure against the base pin.[/quote]