Lipsey's 44 Special Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lentuk

Bearcat
Its time to go fancy on my Lipsey's 44 Special and I am confused on witch grips fit this frame, whats out there?
anything in a ivory look?

dougader

Hunter
Sure. American White Holly by Six shot, Cary Chapman, Pvt Schultz, just to name a few... there are several good custom grip makers who post here.

I've only bought grips from Cary, but the others have posted (and other satisfied customers have posted, too) beautiful examples of the work they can do.

Oh, and you want grips that are made to fit the New Vaquero or the 357 mag 50th Anniversary flat top (as well as your 44 Special flat top).

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned,, American Holly wood is about as close to real ivory you can get w/o actually getting ivory.
As for which grip frame,, fits which stocks,, well, remove the factory stocks,, and check the grip frame for markings. It'll tell you which ones are correct. However,,, realize that the newest Rugers will have the infernal,,, eeerrr internal lock assy that any stocks have to be hollowed out for.
I know,, as I made 4 sets of stocks for my 2 45 Colt New Vaqueros,, and my pair of Lipseys 44 spls.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Mine wears American Holly by Pvt. Schultz

DSCN0725.jpg

caryc

Hawkeye
Your .44 special has the "New XR3" grip frame on it. Any grips that fit the "New Vaquero" will fit your gun.

Just be aware that old vintage XR3 grips will not fit.

BearBio

Buckeye
Mine's sitting next to me as I type (I don't get tired of looking at it). It sports elkhorns by Executioner. Good quality, right amount of bark, and excellent turn-around.

I mostly use fancy wood on Smith's, faux ivory on Rugers and elkhorn/stag on my Colts. But the Lipsey's got special treatment.

patrick_ford

Bearcat
If money is tight and you don't mine polymer grips, Ruger offers simulated ivory grips with Ruger medalitions for about $64. I really like mine. Any smooth grips will beat out the black cheesegraters that come standard.

rb44spec.jpg

Good luck!

Patrick

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Not the best picture in the world, but these are a set of Elk stag by Grashorn Gunworks. I have several sets on different guns of mine, and they have a great fit and feel to them.
ruger2.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, Holly looks great and does look a lot like ivory but it's a little too soft for my tastes. While I use my sixguns extensively, I am very easy on them and never abuse them. Still, my holly grips (three pairs) are dinged, gouged and scratched. My favorite ivory substitutes are TruIvory which is the closest you'll ever get to the real thing and antique ivory micarta.

TruIvory on Cimarron 1872 by BarS:
Open%20Top%2002.JPG

Antique ivory micarta on old XR3 by CLC:
IMG_7120e.jpg
[/img]