Lipsey's 280AI m77 African rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I received mine yesterday. The 24" barrel is at least a magnum contour, much like a "S" contour on a #1. Nice iron sights with the barrel mounted swivel attachment. The stock has twin crossbolts, good checkering, but plain walnut. The blued bolt handle is a nice touch along with the blued cocking piece. The stock is drilled for a forward sling swivel stud and capped with a low profile hex head bolt that screws into the nut in the stock under the barrel. A swivel stud is included in the box as well as a set of rings. The rifle is heavier than I expected, but is steady in my hands. I still believe that 7x64 would have been a more appropriate African rifle chambering as I suspect the 280AI is unknown outside of the US. I have 100 Peterson brass coming from Graf's to load for this rifle. My last 280 AI was a rechambered M700 that I used the cream of wheat method of forming brass. Talk about messing up the bore. If I do any fireforming, it will be with TrailBoss and ordinary bullets I have on the shelf. Bob! :D

artey

Single-Sixer
Bob, the blued bolt handle is a surprise. Is yours threaded for a muzzle break? I am looking to get one late this year I hope. Thanks

Artey

rangerbob

Buckeye
artey, mine IS NOT threaded at the muzzle. Yes, the blued bolt handle is nice, I just wish the wood had some figure in it. I have not gotten around to shooting it yet, but my Peterson brass has arrived. It would not chamber some of my 280 Remington(not AI) ammo handloads. Some reading and research tells me that the SAAMI 280 AI chamber is not exactly the same as the original Ackley version. Lee says that their dies may or may not work with the SAAMI spec chamber. I've been so busy at work and with weekend concealed carry classes(Louisiana instructor #50), I have not had a chance to experiment with my dies and other brass. Bob! 8)

JFB

Hunter
are the sights the standard Ruger rear blade and front brass dot, or the African express shallow V and front ivory bead?
L5INTwts.jpg
7qSYp2qs.jpg

I got the 6.5 Swede and disappointed it had the standard Ruger

also a pencil barrel, thus more of a stalking design than African

rangerbob

Buckeye
JFB, my rifle has the standard Ruger (Lyman) style folding rear sight with a U notch and the gold (brass) bead removable front sight as used on most of their other rifles. It reminds me of my first M77, a round top with sights in 7mm RM. I have not measured the barrel's muzzle diameter, but it's a magnum contour barrel. I'm planning on loading my first batch of ammo with the Peterson brass( which comes in it's own plastic ammo boxes), 210 primers, 162gr. SST's and IMR 7828. I'm still researching sizing dies. Bob! :wink:

artey

Single-Sixer
Bob, I am using Reddings Type S neck bushing die, micrometer seating die, and shoulder bump die. Only thing I would do different is I would just get a normal Full Length sizing die instead of the neck and bump dies. But what I have has worked well for 2 Kimber 84s and Shilen barreled 700, all three of which are 280 AI and the SAAMI Nosler version.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I contacted Lee yesterday and they are still using the original AI design for their dies, while Hornady replied that they are using the SAAMI design for their dies. I'll most likely get a set of Redding or Hornady dies and be done with it. I may die before I shoot up that first 100 rounds loaded in the Peterson brass(my bullets should be in today). Bob! :wink:

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Ditto on the 7x64. The African and International rifles should be available in this caliber.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, I got around to loading the Peterson Brass with the load I mentioned in an earlier reply. The Peterson brass is really nice stuff, shipped in their 50 round plastic, hinged lock lid boxes. Of course, I had to make some AI brass out of some 270 range fired cases. I necked them up to 8mm/06 with my RCBS sizing die and then ran them through my Redding 280 SAAMI sizing die to create an artificial shoulder on them. Loaded them with leftover 145/150 bullets over xx grains of TrailBoss and am fireforming them to fit my rifle and die set. The Peterson brass loaded rounds fit perfectly in the Ruger. Obviously, one could start with any of the available 280 SAAMI brass and not fireform cases, but being a rifle loony, I could not help myself. This way, I get in a little trigger time, as well. Bob! 8)

Latest posts