Lipsey Bisley FT 44 Special question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I'm sure you've already covered this, but I didn't see the thread. Does anyone know if the pics showing the 4-5/8 with fluted cylinder and the 5-1/2 with non fluted cylinder are accurate?

bisley-flattop.jpg

bisley-flattop2.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Yep that's weird, on the Lipsey's website they show what looks like an un-fluted cylinder for the 5-1/2 inch gun. Thanks Rodfac for the facts. That's why I like RugerForum, you get the straight dope on stuff. :D :D

...Jimbo

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I mis-spoke...mine are the flat top .44 specials not the Bisley's. Sorry for the confusion...Rodfac...getting older and more senile each and every day.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I notice the top of the stocks aren't on a 90 degree. Looks like a 1/8-1/4 round and then a slight straight angle back.

What;s w/that?

Also, is the Bisley stock to trigger distance the same as the 44 spl flat-top?

The sudden downward drop of the Bisely stock gives the appearance that it would be closer to the trigger.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nicksterdemus":38pxz411 said:
I notice the top of the stocks aren't on a 90 degree. Looks like a 1/8-1/4 round and then a slight straight angle back.

What's w/that?

Also, is the Bisley stock to trigger distance the same as the 44 spl flat-top?

The sudden downward drop of the Bisely stock gives the appearance that it would be closer to the trigger.

Look at a Colt Bisley's grips...
cb-9953.jpg

That's where the quarter round cut out came from.

The Ruger Bisley's trigger reach is longer by a "long shot" than the tiny XR-3/SAA styled grip on the .44 Special from Ruger.

flatgate

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Thanks for lining me out. After seeing the Colt pic it's all to clear.

So, if all of the Lipsey's Ruger flat-top 44 spl had the little XR-3/SAA style grips, then I take it the Bisley grip frame is larger.

It's hard to tell by looking at the pics.

Dang me coz I like the NV & 44 spl distance.

I wanted a Bisley, yet I don't wanna go farther back.

I'm thinkin' they need to make a XR-3/SABisley style grip frame for my short stubby fangers...

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Nicksterdemus: the Ruger Bisley grip frame shipping on regular catalog Bisley NewVaqs is the same size/shape as the Ruger Bisley grip frame from the larger frame series. So it's a very good bet that's the same thing that's found it's way to the new Lipsey's 44Spl Bisley.

Mike's pic is a reproduction of the "Keith #5" gun with it's hybrid grip frame, made with a mix of Colt Bisley backtrap (bent!) and SAA front half with triggerguard. Most folks suspect Ruger's "Bisley" was influenced by the #5, but then lengthened to handle big power.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Thanks for the schoolin'. I like the curved trigger, the lower hammer spur and it appears easy enough to thumb.

My first impression of the Bisley grip frame/stocks was that they give the appearance of being closer to the trigger than the beloved plow handles.

I figured that some of that illusion was possibly being countered by the curved trigger needing to be positioned farther forward.

Or, maybe the trigger guard comes back farther w/curved trigger giving the illusion that the trigger is farther forward.

Of course there could be no difference save in my mind.

As previously mentioned, it's hard for me to eyeball the pics and distinguish some of the subtle differences in lengths between two similar framed pistolas.

I'd like to see them and others outlined on graph paper.

It could be that the index finger is in the same spot, yet as the Bisely stocks progress, in a more vertical pattern, they relieve tension from the index finger.

I would've thought another Bisley grip frame, for the smaller NV/Lipsey's 44 spl frame, would've been manufactured as opposed to using the same size as the larger 44 mag frame. If I understand correctly.

I'm sure that even in being a different size that they would be close and, in order to save cost, close enough to use the same grip frame.

However, w/my short, stubby fingers I find myself having to rotate my grip, CCW towards the trigger, on some pistols in order to position my index finger comfortably.

I hate to nit-pick ya'll w/little details, but I'm buying on pics and what I read. Thanks again.

I like Mike's repro of the "Keith #5" and can see why it costs more than the standaed fare...

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
There's another factor on both Ruger's Bisley and the #5 that most people miss. It allows you to ride the web of your palm further "up" in relation to the bore axis.

In other words, if you continue the line of the barrel backwards, you find that the Ruger Bisley and #5 get the core of your hand a bit higher, closer to that imaginary extended line.

That in turn reduces muzzle flip...part of the secret to effective recoil control.

What I want next on my NewVaq357 is a standard Ruger Bisley grip frame bought "in the white", custom-shortened to sorta immitate the #5 except sized to my hands and my preferred pinkie-under hold. Granted, it won't be able to cope with quite as much recoil as stock but then again, my gun's only a 357.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I can see the benefit from being closer to the barrel.

So, you think the pinkie helps that much in retaining recoil as opposed to a three fingered grip?

I'll drop the pinkie if the stocks are short.

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
I have a Ron Powers # 5 grip frame that is made from a traceing of the original Keith # 5, I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it. It is still in the "white" and not fit to a gun so you'll be able to see how it was made.

My 44 special was built by Alan Harton on an old model Ruger 357 it is the same size as the new 44 special being offered by Ruger.

He built the grip frame from a Powers colt front strap and a Ruger Bisley back strap, a little welding here and there and you get a # 5 grip frame. There is actually quite a bit of work in these frames but they feel great in the hand. Mr. Harton also made the grips and they fit my hand very well. One of these days I'll take a better picture and post it.

Mike

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Thanks as I'd enjoy taking a peek. Besides being an attractive sidearm yours is unique.

In the end it's how a piece feels in your hand. It would be nice if every pistol was plotted on a grid so folks could compare one to another while making up their mind..

Wouldn't seem like much of a step to impliment a software program.

I guess I could always order a Bisely and if I didn't like the grip frame I could swap it out w/NV or 44spl flat-top.
--------
I went ahead and ordered one of each barrel length. I understand that so far all they've seen 'round here is the 4 5/8" brl which is kinda odd coz w/44spl flat-top all I saw was 5.5" brl.

Even later down the road I was offered another in 5.5", but I didn't need another one just like the other one.