Lipsey Bisley FT 44 Special question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I'm a fan of the pinkie-under hold for a couple of reasons:

* It helps "index" the grip, putting it in the same place in your hand for every shot.

* Under recoil the pinkie "stretches out" - by "re-curling it" you bring the barrel back down for the next shot faster.

BUT: pinkie-under has some limits as far as how much recoil it can cope with. At some point within the 44Magnum horsepower spectrum it will fall apart for most people. It works within the 44Spl range, the 45LC up through what a modern Colt SAA or similar can cope with or within the 357Mag spectrum - even high-end loads if we're talking about a 40+ ounce Ruger NewVaq or the like. As that power level is my primary interest, I've specialized in pinkie-under holds but I do understand their limits. If I was into major hunting-class horsepower I'd consider switching everything to Ruger Bisleys and be done with it, accepting a slight loss of speed in "rapid fire" (or as close to that as an SA can get!).

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
Here is the picture of the Powers # 5
DSC01882.jpg

As I said has not been fit to a gun so there is a bit of reshaping to do Ron makes them a little large so they can be fit properly to the cylinder frame.

Mike

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Yup. And you have to do full-custom grip panels - nobody has them ready to go :).

If I custom-shorten a Ruger Bisley grip frame I'll be barking up the same tree and able to take factory Bisley grip panels and chop 'em...easier than full custom.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Certainly adds to the expense - and even moreso, the time. The grip frame has to be fitted and then sent off for custom grip panels, then you wait for both parts to come back.

Put it another way...my gun isn't for "show". It's for "go" - I want something that feels as right as possible, functions as well as possible, at the lowest possible price point while still looking reasonable.

Factory-grade (or aftermarket equivelent) grips will do just fine for those purposes.

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
Jim I was teasing you, yes it does add to the cost and time. In fact you really need to send the gun complete with grip frame as this is a 2 piece grip frame and needs to be on the gun to get the best possible fit.

So not a good project if your not willing to be without your gun for a while.

I have extras so not a big deal :D :D.

Mike

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
My total number of centerfire guns: 1

Total number of rimfires: 1

Rimfire is a 22LR SAA-shaped understudy for my NewVaq357...which is my daily carry CCW piece, outdoor companion and anything else I need a gun for, for now.

Shrug. I live on a budget.