Lipsey .44 Won't Function

Help Support Ruger Forum:

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
DSC01555.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

Figured out why when I took it apart. Obviously a little disappointing for a brand new gun. Full of rust in the internals right from the box.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Your photos aren't showing up, I had to copy and paste the links to see the photos.

Holy Cow! I wouldn't have believed that a new gun could accumulate that much rust. Were those stored in seawater or something?

Hopefully Ruger and/or Lipsey's is making this right for you.

Stephen

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
That's just gross.

I currently have my grip frame off the gun, and can assure you mine doesn't look like that. It had more oil than I expected to see, but no rust.

I'm really sorry to see this. Somewhere along the line that must've gotten wet.

-- Sam

Hobie

Single-Sixer
Neither of my Lipsey .44s looked like that. Did that come direct from Lipsey to your dealer or via another dealer? It might be the fault of the other dealer...

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Hard to imagine how a new gun could rust at the distributor's that quickly.
Let Ruger give you a new one. But don't hesitate any longer than necessary.
Sonnytoo

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
WOW, I don't think I've ever seen a revolver so rusted ! That appears to be more damage than plain water could have done ! That's just NASTY looking ! I hope they make it right for You.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Bluing is nothing but controlled rust. My guess would be it never got a bath after bluing it, to neutralize the bluing salts. Then it was put together, and wiped down with oil rag, which is why there isn't external rust.

That is not controlled rust ! Too bad ! I'm certain Ruger will rectify, ASAP.

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
Ruger has been very responsive to the situation so I'm sure we will get it fixed. It was bought from a dealer in NC. Gun lead actually came from this or the single action forum. Looked great on the outside. Would have never know as I had planned on keeping it unfired but changed my mind and took it to the range this weekend. Glad I did.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Jeff Hoover":3jq3393n said:
Bluing is nothing but controlled rust. My guess would be it never got a bath after bluing it, to neutralize the bluing salts. Then it was put together, and wiped down with oil rag, which is why there isn't external rust.

That is not controlled rust ! Too bad ! I'm certain Ruger will rectify, ASAP.
Yep, every blued Ruger I've bought new (and even one used Mini 14) had a light coating of orange on them from improperly stopped bluing process. Except for my Lipsey's .44. I even noted that at the time I announced my acquisition of it. That's why I'm so shocked about this one.

-- Sam

Dale53

Blackhawk
A good friend and I both got new 50th Anniversary .44 Magnums and the .44 Lipsey Specials at the same time. We both had a couple of spots of "orange" on them. It was a bit tenacious but cleaned up perfectly with 0000 steel wool and a bit of oil. I was not pleased with this but figured "all's well that ends well".

But this one takes the cake.

What happened to the pictures?

Dale53

ddeaton

Bearcat
the pics are gone now, I cant see them. I just got a new Lipsey a month ago and had to clean it out also. I didnt call Ruger, I will now and tell them about it. It had crap all up in the corner of the frame inside the wheelhouse up by the hammer. I havent taken it fully apart yet. I think I may have to give it a once over now that I have read this. I cleaned and oiled it, then put maybe 20 rounds through it so far. There was crap all over my yellow shipping washer also.