Lipsey 44 spl.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have to be the luckiest guy in the world. Much of my needs I can handle myself. If I need "pistolsmith help" I have a REALLY good pistolsmith within 35 minutes of me that will do the rest. A couple of weeks ago, I left three new Ruger Single Actions with him for trigger jobs. He called me in a week or so and had me pick them up. He did an excellent job and the cost was so low I am NOT going to tell you - it would just make you feel bad.

A good trigger is sure a WONDERFUL improvement on a Ruger (I have a number of Rugers and I have NEVER bought a Ruger that had a satisfactory trigger). On the other hand, after the trigger job is done, there are few revolvers (VERY few) that will beat them.

I have NO custom revolvers but I have a rather large number of various brands (lots of Smiths, a couple of Taurus', a fine Colt clone, Colt 1911's, and a Kimber or two as well as several TC's). So, I have something to compare them with.

Smith's are my favorites (LOVE Smith triggers both single and double action), but Rugers come in a close second.

Yes, I have been blessed and I AM grateful.

Dale53

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I had to send it back to Ruger for what appeared to be gas cutting of the top strap. Ruger said they were not going to repair it that they were going to send a new one. No gun yet!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Good chance all they made shipped during the initial run so I don't see them breaking production to make a one-off. Regardless, have you contacted them regarding this?

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I sent mine away too and it came back all scratched up!
...of course, I sent mine to Michael Gouse and not Ruger:

Skeeter004.jpg

Skeeter008.jpg

Seriously, I hope yours comes back perfect and soon!

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Yes. They said they could not repair my original pistol. They followed that up by saying they were going to order? a new revolver for shipment. That was 2 weeks ago. So my original good deal at $489. cost me $30 to send back and another $40 to transfer a new gun whenever it comes.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
You could have shipped it them your self and they in turn could send it back to your home with no transfer fees. I just did that and I also asked them for a shipping label so it didn't cost me a dime. Ruger paid shipping both ways. I believe I would call and politely insist that they send me my new gun, the key word...politely but firm.

operator

Bearcat
Man that is AWESOME!!!!! Operator
mm6mm6":m11g8q6g said:
I sent mine away too and it came back all scratched up!
...of course, I sent mine to Michael Gouse and not Ruger:

Skeeter004.jpg

Skeeter008.jpg

Seriously, I hope yours comes back perfect and soon!

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
BowenBuilt":2w2t126e said:
You could have shipped it them your self and they in turn could send it back to your home with no transfer fees. I just did that and I also asked them for a shipping label so it didn't cost me a dime. Ruger paid shipping both ways. I believe I would call and politely insist that they send me my new gun, the key word...politely but firm.

It is my understanding that when you get a new gun with a new serial number you have to have it transferred thru a FFL. So when Ruger finally sends out my revolver it will cost me to get it.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Guess I been just down-right lucky! Been shooting Rugers for 40 years and NEVER had to send one back. Either lucky, or I just didn't know any better. :roll:
Do have an early DA (purchased used) that will someday be worked on by a local 'smith.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Revolver-Time":2p7ejr6o said:
BowenBuilt":2p7ejr6o said:

It is my understanding that when you get a new gun with a new serial number you have to have it transferred thru a FFL. So when Ruger finally sends out my revolver it will cost me to get it.

Not true, at least with rifles. Over the years, I've received 3 new rifles direct from Newport as exchange for ones they couldn't/wouldn't repair.

Not sure if that applies to handguns.

Pete

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Revolver-Time":maoge623 said:
I had to send it back to Ruger for what appeared to be gas cutting of the top strap. Ruger said they were not going to repair it that they were going to send a new one. No gun yet!

I'm willing to bet a pair of grips that the apparent gas cutting was just barrel threads that were cut too far into the frame. This has been pretty common as of late and the common fix has been to replace the revolver. I wouldn't pay for shipping back and the transfer fee if it were me. They made the decision to replace the revolver, they should pay for it. If they won't pay for it, I would demand the old revolver back and they pay for return shipping.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
mm6mm6.....fantastic looking piece...how do you contact the engraver? My son is leaving for Afganistan and I'd like to get his 50th Anniversary .357 done as a present for his return. Also, how much did that set you back for the work? Thanks in advance Rodfac

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
Revolver time,
I know you think I am trying to ba a know it all but I have had many Rugers and several Smith & Wessons replaced over the years and I have never had to run it through a dealer to get my gun back. As long as you are dealing with the factory they can send it straight to you. But...If you send it to them from an FFL holder, that is the way they will send it back. Always try to deal direct with the factory direct and always demand a shipping label, they may not agree at first but if you are polite and stubborn you will get your way most of the time. I think I may have rubbed you the wrong way in your earlier post about flame cutting, if I did I appologize. Flame cutting takes a certain amout of heat along with an amount of pressure. In your earlier post you did not have enough of either to flame cut brass much less steel. So I knew that was not the problem.
I also said that I was glad that it wasn't a serious problem, by that I meant that no one was injured or hurt by a defective firearm. Not that your problem was not serious to you or the factory. Sometimes, we as posters, get off on the wrong foot. I believe we might have with a little outside help. Also I think mm6mm6 just hijacked your thread. Shame, shame. You see me rubbing my fingers at you and shaking my head going tisk....tisk...tisk. :D
Best Regards,
Mitch

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
BowenBuilt,
Absolutley no appology needed. I will always welcome learning from others. I have been buying and shooting guns ever since saving my school lunch money to get a Ruger standard auto back in 1968. I could not understand why my 44 special was showing what looked like flame or gas cutting. I have a 686 Smith and a 28 Smith that I know are flame cut but I know it is from my reloads 125gr with 296 or lil'gun pushing them. But a 44 spl? So i then thought it was perhaps not properly heat treated so I contacted Ruger and they said send it in for evaluation. After receiving it Ruger said they were going to reinstall the barrel, refinish it and send it back. Then a few days later they called and said they were not going to fix it they were going to offer a new Vaquero. I told them I did not want a Vaquero, I wanted a 44 Blackhawk. So now I wait.

Way back in the day I earned a BSME and have spent the better part of my life consulting for large manufacturing concerns. As such I remain a bit skeptical about the reasons Ruger changed their minds about my revolver. Screwing the barrel back on and refinishing the gun was fine with me but then to change up and replace it naturally makes me wonder why.

It remains my understanding that when a new gun with a new S/N is issued the gun has to be transfered through a FFL holder but if your experience says that is not the case I will challange My FFL guy.

I will never be so bold as to say I know it all. I will always consider what others offer.

Best,
Rick