linux windows quandry....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I decided to switch to linux a while back.... Linux mint is pretty easy to use, but one problem I am having is that a lot of my new hardware.. camera's, microphone, and software for said items are not available for linux..
So I am going to have to reinstall windows, as I do not have the time or interest to sit at my laptop all day learning all the terminal root command stuff..
Question: Can I download windows and install it in a partition, using linux as the base OS? All info I find online, is doing the opposite... (linux onto windows)..
Thanks for any and all help!!!

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Easier than what you are contemplating (Using Windows in an emulator while booted to Linux) is to simply create another partition, and dual boot Win and Lin...

When you turn on the puter, it will give you a choice of which OS to boot...

Easy as pie using Gparted (to make partitions), and using Grub as the boot loader...

nlocke

Bearcat
To keep from losing hard drive space , my son set mine up by running windows through Linux. He did it by installing Oracle VM Virtualbox. Hr set it up as an icon on the desktop and when I click on it, it opens up Windows like any other program.

We did this because I also had problems with some programs running on Linux.

Sorry that I can't answer any questions about how it's installed. My son is my IT guy.

Neal

NikA

Buckeye
Are you looking to dual boot (use Linux for some tasks and Windows for others) or to completely replace the operating system with Windows?

If the first, I recommend VirtualBox, as mentioned by another member here: it's free and relatively robust (sometimes VirtualBox and OS updates get out of sync, not a huge pain). If it were my machine, I would generally make Windows the native OS (install Linux within the Windows system using VirtualBox) as VirtualBox is a native Windows application and sometimes has problems detecting hardware within the inner OS.

One could also install to another partition as was also mentioned, but then you have to shut down one OS to access the other, not to mention you will probably have to reinstall both because you'll need to partition your hard drive differently...

If you just want to replace the operating system with Windows, I believe Windows now has an installer application that you can download and open. You might also be able to find an .iso file of the Windows install disk and mount it as a CD drive in your Linux OS.

Feel free to PM if you want help. I'm not in India but I've done these tasks enough times I could probably talk you through it on the phone or via email.

yooper1

Single-Sixer
I'll just give you big kudos for getting switched over to Linux.

Me, I am dumber than a box of rocks.

Awhile back, the members here laid out step by step instructions for me when I inquired how to get Linux. But, even with an associates degree in computer programming, I could not get it to work.

I think (HONESTLY) that this laptop is either cursed or haunted.

But I must stop rambling on your post.

I wish I could offer at least 2 cents worth of help

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Thanks for the help... I will try virtual box.. I was checking out buying windows, as I removed it from my laptop when we installed Mint... They don't give that away do they!!!
My next laptop, I guess I'll have to just partition and leave windows in place for some of my applications and gadgets to work!

Danehardin

Bearcat
reuben_j_cogburn said:
I decided to switch to linux a while back.... Linux mint is pretty easy to use, but one problem I am having is that a lot of my new hardware.. camera's, microphone, and software for said items are not available for linux..
So I am going to have to reinstall windows, as I do not have the time or interest to sit at my laptop all day learning all the terminal root command stuff..
Question: Can I download windows and install it in a partition, using linux as the base OS? All info I find online, is doing the opposite... (linux onto windows)..
Thanks for any and all help!!!

It is good idea to swith to linux because it is more simple to use. You can remove boot partition then install window so it is working for you.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
reuben_j_cogburn said:
My next laptop, I guess I'll have to just partition and leave windows in
place for some of my applications and gadgets to work!
You might also look at installing WINE (Windows Interpreter). It is LOUSY
for gamers, but for non gamers it allows you to install various software and
run it under Linux.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I did download wine, but have no idea how to use it.. I totally forgot about it until it was mentioned....
In any event, I talked with my friend who hauls me up river.. and down for that matter.... My plans to go home on or about the 27th have changed to the 23rd.... or sooner..
It looks like my plans are once again thwarted by Alaska!!!
Oh well...... :)

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
If your laptop came with Windows, then you already own a copy of Windows. You might be able to get a DVD or CD (at some cost) from Microsoft, OR a restoration package (CDs/DVDs/Memory Stick) from whoever sold the computer. Either method will be infinitely cheaper than 'buying' a new copy of Windows!

Latest posts