Light striking with a mark I Pistol....Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I recently bought a used Mark I bull barrel pistol. I thnk it was made in the 70's but am not 100% sure. The pistol is accurate and fun to shoot but has a problem.

Today while at the range I had several FTF episodes. I examined the rounds and the firing pin strikes were on the extreme edge of the case rims and the indentations were very small. I am surprised that any of the rounds fired after examining the cases. Our local gunsmith is a year behind.

Does anyone have an idea of what is causing the firing pin to strike so lightly and just strike the outside of the case rim ? If this problem is something that can't be fixed easily, would it be better to send the gun back to Ruger for repairs if they will take it.

One last question (sorry) if the pistol has to go back to ruger, what is the cheapest way to send it? I'd prefer to ship USPS if possible to avoid the manatory overnight shipping on pistols that UPS imposes. Shipping costs half the price of the pistol. I am not sure that I can ship vis USPS. I couldn't get a straight answer from 1-800-ask USPS.......Geez.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
The bolt probably needs a good cleaning. Take it apart and clean it. It's most likely full of crud.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Geezer":dt0z50ql said:
The bolt probably needs a good cleaning. Take it apart and clean it. It's most likely full of crud.

I would agree. My dad had the same problem with his 1953 standard recently. Cleaned it well and all is better now.

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned above, a good cleaning MIGHT be all you need. When you field strip the gun,, you can also take apart the firing pin area of it. Clean it, and inspect it for damage. Watch the springs.

and clean the chamber itself real good and make sure thee is NO "divot' (burr) at one o'clock on the rim of the chamber, possibly from dry firing improperly........... also check the tip ( nose) of the firing pin

Lots of things can be going on............

jazzpicker

Bearcat
rugerguy":2s9llgln said:
and clean the chamber itself real good and make sure thee is NO "divot' (burr) at one o'clock on the rim of the chamber, possibly from dry firing improperly........... also check the tip ( nose) of the firing pin

Lots of things can be going on............

No divit in the chamber (yet) thank goodness and the bolt is clean, I completely stripped it and cleaned every bit of grease and dirt including the bolt face. The firing pin stop pin is a bit loose in the hole and could easily fall out. Maybe it's time to order another one along with a new firing pin. Kind of like a springtime tune up for the old pistol.

Which spring tensions the hammer? I wonder if replacing that would help. Is that hard spring to replace?

Thanks for the help!