Light strikes on Rimfire,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alycidon

Bearcat
I run a 10/22 and an AMT version of it, had them both 10 or 15 years.

The AMT has started misfireing, I get very light strikes right on the edge of the case. It has had maybe 5000 rounds through it without problem so I figured maybe a bit of wear in the fireing pin. I changed it for a new titanium one and changed the spring under it at the same time. Also changed the spring on the cocking lever.

Better but no cure, still failing maybe 1 in 6 times. switched from Eley subs to CCI ones, accuracy not that good but still getting 1 in 8 failing to fire.

Its as though the pin is lifting after its hit by the hammer, there is no crap under the pin, the extractor is perfactly clean as is its recess in teh breech. The bolt seems to go all the way forward to the breech face fine.

Anybody any thoughts ?.

Thanks

A

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Alycidon, Welcome to the forum! I would "try" 6 or 7 brands of ammo before doing anything else. These can get pretty finicky with different ammo, especially the AMT's in my experience. With the breach bolt out of the gun, push the firing pin all the way flush against the back of the bolt, check the forward protrusion. It should be level with the face of the forward portion of the bolt face beyond the counterbore. I would try a new hammer spring if the protrusion is ok. Check to make sure the hammer strut is in no way retarding the spring from normal movement also. By checking these things, you should be well on the way to solving this problem....................................Dick

edlmann

Blackhawk
Alycidon":3jle8n2n said:
I run a 10/22 and an AMT version of it, had them both 10 or 15 years.

The AMT has started misfireing, I get very light strikes right on the edge of the case. It has had maybe 5000 rounds through it without problem . . .

22LR is pretty dirty. Could crud have built up somethere in the bolt impeding the firing pin?

Alycidon

Bearcat
Update.

I have cleaned everything that moves on this rifle, new titanium firing pin and extractor, firing pin has also been pinned down.

CCI subs are not to bad, maybe 1 in 8 FTF, Eley subs 06 date code are bad, 2 in 3 FTF, Eley 08 date code subs are better, 2 in 3 fire.

Barrel is tight in the action, no crud in the extractor recess.

Any thoughts anyone.

A

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Alycidon, It's time to take it to a local "competent" gunsmith to have it checked out. Internet gunsmithing only goes so far and this is the time as a gunsmith, I would want my hands on it for a look-see!...................Dick :wink:

Latest posts