Light,Compact Varminter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Back in 1976,I bought a little barreled action in .223 with the intentions of putting together a fairly light,compact Mannlicher style gun for varmints.The action and barrel were made by Sako for H+R,as their little "Ultra Wild cat" model.The action is the L461 "round top",glassy smooth and holds 6 rounds in the magazine.

I had Fajen work me up a semi finished,classic,Mannlicher stock of black walnut.I don't remember the grade of wood but it was the best I could afford.Their choice of wood was perfect as Mannlichers need very straight grain in the long forend,yet there is great crotch figure in the butt.

I got it put together and a finish on it and started hunting with it before really doing all I had set out to do,including checkering.It's been a good little gun but I always felt it was not quite finished.A few years ago I robbed the scope off it so it has been idle.A few months ago I got a new scope for it and decided this thing needed a tune up.

I refinished the stock and fixed all my past booboos.The metal needed some cosmetic flaws fixed and I always wanted a hooded front sight on it to finish off the Mannlicher look.I also wanted a matt blue.The butt plate was a curved,steel one that had 20 line checkering and I couldn't find a steel grip cap to match so I made one from black micarta,with 20 line checkering.

I sent the metal to Jack Huntington to fix and finish and decided to send the stock to Ahlman's in Minnesota for checkering,rather than doing it myself.I chose a classic,wrap around point pattern and asked that they checker in 20 line if at all possible.They did.

It only took Jack and Ahlman's 3 weeks to finish the work and I was able to finally put this thing together and it looks exactly like I had originally planned,probably even a little better.I recently got some 55 gr Hornady SP ammo and it seems it really likes that stuff so I think this one is finally finished.The barrel is 18" and 37 1/2" overall.Before scope it weighs 6 lbs. 2 oz and really balances well.It just feels right.Here are a few pictures.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
The forend tip is black epoxy.The scope is a Leupold VX3 2.5-8.Oh and the Piece de Resistance:

Just the ticket for the guy,prone to run out of ammo.This is an Albright butt plate that I bought when I first got the barreled action and stock.I'm told they went out of business over 25 years ago and these are hard to find.

Joe S.

Hunter
Except for the matte blue, that is exactly what i would do if i had the means! I LOVE that rifle!!

I love Mannlicher rifles, and that one is about as beautiful as it gets. Grip cap looks great. Yet another talent that you have.

I just picked up a Savage model 63 which is a single shot 22 with a Mannlicher stock. Stock will need refinished. I have been trying to find a 63M which is the 22 magnum version.

caryc

Hawkeye
Beautiful like all your stuff.

The forend tip is black epoxy.

Could you please explain that? Is it something you mixed up and let harden into a chunk to be shaped later?

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
That's exactly it Cary.It's been so long but I believe I put two screws into the walnut for support,blobbed the epoxy on,shaped,blobbed,shaped.I had bought one of the steel forend caps but wasn't too keen on the shape,so didn't use it.