Light adapter rail for a ruger p89

Help Support Ruger Forum:

coronel

Bearcat
How can I add a light rail adapter to a ruger p89? I don't want to buy another pistol that has an intergrated light rail I want to use my P89"s. I would appreciate some input into this. Thank you.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
On another forum, I saw a guy do something similar to his 1911. He bought a picatinny rail adapter and drilled out the frame. Mounted the rail under the slide with the screws that came with the rail and added some locktite to make sure they didn't come out.

Mike J

Hunter
There is a member here-November I think-that did that to either a P-94 or P-944 if I recall correctly.

coronel

Bearcat
Thanks a lot for the information I found a place that sells the rail but how do I go about drilling it?
Yes I know carefully but to be specific to have specific instructions would help a lot thanks.

96/44

Blackhawk
I wouldn't attempt it without a good drill press, and a solid holding fixture for your frame. There is the potential to ruin the only non-replacable part on the gun, so if you're not totally confident, you would probably be better off having a gunsmith do it.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
On the other hand, the aluminum frame is easy to drill through (did this to my P89). A word of caution however. The P89's dust cover is SHORTER than the P94's (Example), so, the rail mentioned above for the 1911's would not fit without serious modding to the rail itself. If you wanna go ahead and give it a try here's a link to purchase a 1911 rail..

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/me ... _Code=AA01

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
One more thing that is noteworthy.. the P94 with the camblock (Novembers) has no barrel link, so he has no groove inside the dust cover for the link to ride in. The P89 HAS a barrel link and has the groove. This makes the job ten times harder, as you have VERY little room for screw heads to fit inside the cover. I had to do crazy modding to get my screws to get deep enough and the link STILL hits the screw heads. Have to turn the gun upside down at times to get the link to swing back a tad to clear the screw heads(Field-stripping). Re-thinking this? Unless you're a PRO, I would.

markmmg

Bearcat
I wouldn't try it. I have a P89 too and I have been wanting to do the same thing with mine. There is not a rail that just bolts onto the gun without modifying it. If you happen to screw up when drilling the holes, then you could ruin the gun. After looking at a few new pistols, I found that you can get a new P95 for about $320 or a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm or .40 for $290 at Academy. All of these pistols have the rail built into the frame.

coronel

Bearcat
A lot of good ideas thank you. But, is there a glue or adhesive of some sort that could glue on to the pistol. Or is there an adapter like the ones made by insight or command I believe that can be adapted to the ruger p89

I have a clamp on mount for a laser that is machined to match the front trigger guard and snugs up against the dust cover. It's brand new and I haven't installed it yet but it is definitely a good tight fit. A couple of years ago I bought a P89 with an aftermarket model specific laser that mounts the same way. I'm not talking about one of those crappy things with plastic inserts. This is a two piece metal frame that is really solid. I think the maker is OOB since I couldn't make contact last year.

Gene130

Bearcat
Beamshot makes a rail that attaches to the trigger guard, called P-6 mount. Optics planet sells them for $13. I have one and have not yet installed it.