lever action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hazman

Bearcat
i know i am talking off brand right now , but i am a purist and i would like some input on a high caliber lever action rifle. i admire the "henry", but would like a longer barrel than 20". anyone had experience with any??. , also the best collection down the road. , thankyou,paul

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like the Winchesters for the nostalgia. I am not sure what cartridge you are interested in. 44 magnum is a good all round shooter but there are many older 44-40 WCF guns out there too. Marlin, is making some heavy duty leverguns now including 45-70, 444, and 450 marlin and the new quality XLR model in several calibers. The imports have some longer barrels, like 24". Any help ?? :D

...Jimbo

sebtool

Blackhawk
I like the Marlins better than the Winchesters, from a handling and shooting standpoint, JMHO.

That being said, my go to, favorite deer rifle is an old Winchester Model 88 in .308. Not a 'conventional' lever action according to the purists, but screw them! :lol:
This gun fits right, and is 1 helluva shooter! It shoots like an extension of my arm, just points where I want it to. I've always been 1 to take my time, wait for the perfect shot. But with this rifle I've taken several running deer, just because I've had the confidence in the gun to take the shot. Never lost 1, never more than 2 shots.

The M88 triggers ain't what you would call a 'glass rod breaking' scenario, and some may take a little getting used to, but mine suits me fine. I remember Craig Boddington writing these rifles up several years ago, and talking about a shop out in Ca. that was pretty good with them. Seeing as I'm just a pore 'ole country boy, I shoot it as is, with pretty decent results.

I'd like to find 1 in .284 Win 1 of these days, just for GP. :wink:

If you like the model 88, you may want to take a look at the model 99 Savage. The two that I own shoulder like a good bird gun. They are available in quite a few calibers, mine are 250-3000 & 300 Savage.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Not quite sure what you mean by a "high caliber".
Of course, everyone thinks of the 30-30 when they say lever action. It is a good moderate range cartridge, but certainly there are many other cartridge options. I prefer the Winchester 94 myself (which is very limited for cartridges: essentially 32 Win. or 30 Win. (30-30), but with the top eject, not appropriate for scopes except in the later years of production, which have angle eject. No question the Marlin levers are a stronger action and take a wider range of cartridges, but are also much heavier. Side ejection on them means scopes are fine. but ruin the nice carrying trait they have. Mossberg now also makes a traditional style 30-30, but I havent shot one. Are you planning to just have fun at the range with it, plinking, or hunting? There are a number of rifles, as mentioned, that are chambered for .38/.357 and .44 pistol rounds.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I have a fondness for a Winchester 88 in 243 or 358. With that said I still look over the fence at a Winchester 71 in 348.

pete44ru

Hunter
Get your paws on a .405 Winchester Model 1895, and never look back.

If you can't find/afford one, find a Miroku/Winchester clone.

dmazur

Bearcat
Get your paws on a .405 Winchester Model 1895, and never look back.

There's nothing wrong with this thought, except the Winchester 1895 was also chambered in .30-06 Sprg (Miroku for sure, as I have one, and I believe the originals as well.)

It is another option. Depending on what you want it to do, it might be what you would want.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Pressonregardless":j5nmrmz4 said:
If you like the model 88, you may want to take a look at the model 99 Savage. The two that I own shoulder like a good bird gun. They are available in quite a few calibers, mine are 250-3000 & 300 Savage.

I missed 1 at a pawn shop last fall - I just didn't have the $$$ that week.... A verrry nice 99 in .308 for $450, and the peckerheads wouldn't budge. But it was a couple of weeks before deer season, so I guess I can't blame them.

roofinspector - those 71s are nice! Haven't been able to acquire 1 yet....

BTW hazman - no offense intended with my 'screw the purists' comment - Honest! :oops: Must have been a rough day :?

The Winchester 94 is a classic rifle, and they do carry, and handle great, but I don't think they're as accurate, or durable as the Marlins. JMO. I prefer a lever gun to a bolt action, just what I grew up with, I guess. To me, a lever gun is the most natural pointing rifle on the market. But I still like to take my Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 out on occasion too! :wink:

I'm not really a collector, and don't buy guns with an eye towards their long term value - I buy/trade for, etc., the guns I like to shoot, the guns I like to handle.

Just 3 leverguns right now, my M88, an old Marlin 39A, and an 1894 in .22 mag. I'm due for a 30-30 tho... :D

A

Anonymous

For hunting the Marlin is the way to go in 30-30 as you can mount a low powered scope. For tradition the winchesters have it hands down. I have a 64-A rifle that is very neat. I have a williams 5-D receiver sight and it is quite deadly out to 200 yds though my 55 year old eyes are making that more of a challenge. I bought my buddy a marlin cowboy with rifle length octagon bbl that is very cool. His is a 38-55 but it is also available in 45-70. I have had a couple of winchester 94 's with a rifle length octagon bbl and they are very nice and hang great.

hadjii

Bearcat
Hey, how about a Marlin 338 Marlin Express? With Marlin closing the doors next June after the buyout by Remington, they may perhaps become collectors.........someday. As far as the Winchester 88. Oh ya. I've had a couple of them, one in a 308 and one in a 243. I guess the only reason I don't still have them is because someone else wanted them worse than I did. Now that I can "sort of" afford another one, I can't stand the price they're bringing. Another one I wouldn't mind having is a Uberti in 44-40, but theyre spendy as well, but they sure are purty.

glennont

Bearcat
I have never shot a more enjoyable rifle than my Marlin lever action 444. I live in ranch country in California and set up my targets on a T-post 100 yards away. The first time I sighted in my Marlin it shredded the T-post like an orange peel for fancy drinks. The most accurate and best shooting rifle I own, incredibly accurate w/o a scope.