Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 pistol scope eye relief?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I have one on order and am concerned it won't have enough eye relief. The specs say it has 15" of eye relief. That's sounds a little too precise to be accurate. I can't imagine a $500 pistol scope with only 15" of eye relief. This is going on a SBH Hunter so it sits pretty far forward. Plus, I have long arms. Anyone have one and if so what do you think the eye relief is on 8 power. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several Leupold pistol scopes & I've not had a problem with eye relief. If it's too short when you get it,, call Leupold,, they WILL make it right.

Pal Val

Buckeye
You will see that eye relief gets shorter as power increases. It will start at about 18", which is good enough for Simba the gorilla. By 8X, you'll be pulling back the gun a bit to get to see well. Make the load heavy enough, and you'll be seeing that scope fly at your face every time you shoot the gun.

I tried one of those once on a SBH hunter and ended up putting it on top of a .22. Unless you're shooting gnats off a deer's rump, you don't need that much power in a handgun scope.

Just my opinion. I could be worng.

s4s4u

Hunter
You can tune the eye relief on the Leupy a little by screwing the eyepiece in or out. I found the eye relief a bit long on low power but better for my arms in the midrange to higher end, on a SRH and XP100. IIRC, the eye relief on 2.5x started at around 15" but I could see full FOV as far as I could reach, maybe 24". On 8x, it started around 9" and went to probably 15" but I'm not solid on that. I traded the one I had, but it was good glass, better for a taller/longer man than myself.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Nothing to add, but I sure would like a product review/range report when you get it. :)

single action

Single-Sixer
Just remember just as your eye relief distance shrinks with the higher magnification your field of view also shrinks. that is the width of space you see at any given distance. Trying to find lets say a buck walking along it is much easier to acquire that animal with a larger field of view that a low power scope affords. High power magnification in many field uses can be a impairment plus trying to keep the gun steady which again is amplified at the higher magnifications. I found this out the hardway with a buck I could not find on my higher magnification scope. After the season I went to a two power which in my application worked great. single action.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I have never had good luck with Leupold pistol scopes. I don't care for the eye relief and the tubes are too short and you lose a lot of adjustment from that wether it is to get the bell away from the rear sight or to help in trying to get a little more distance for eye relief. Also on my XP-100's the Leupolds are too short to fit in the rings. I went to Burris and that fixed most my troubles. Burris has better eye relief and makes a better pistol scope IMO. Not trying to burst anyones bubble here...just giving my opinion.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
single action: Good advice. I never hunt with any thing but the lowest power on a scope. I only want the higher power for the range.

Ruger Junkie: I guess I'm in love with the Leupold warranty. I've heard not so nice things about Burris' warranty service. Maybe not a big deal as I'd hope to never need either.

single action

Single-Sixer
one other noteworthy comment about Leupold and now Redfield that they purchased, they are made in Beaverton, Oregon not China, by americans and they make a quality product at competitive prices and the warranty their scopes pretty much forever..............sa