Let's talk DA recoil shields

Help Support Ruger Forum:

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
The recoil shields on Ruger DAs look big compared to other guns. Are there parts in there that require them to be like that? I'm tempted to have them milled flat on a gun to a size similar to a Smith or Colt just because I can't leave well enough alone.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You're right. Ruger seems to have gone with SA-like recoil shields on their DA guns purely as a style point. I've never thought that was attractive on a DA gun and this might be why I've never owned a Ruger revolver.

I say go for it--get one reshaped like a Smith or Colt and post pics and let us see how it looks. I'll bet it's an improvement! (Assuming that the bulge isn't necessary on the left side for the cylinder latch, of course.)

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
If it's not a function issue and a gunsmith is willing to do it, I'm going to have it done along with some other custom touches to make it one of a kind. :)

Flash

Buckeye
I've disassembled all my Ruger double action revolvers which include the SP-101, GP-100, Sec. Six and Super Redhawk and found that the crane latch has barely enough metal to function properly and in my opinion, the recoil shield isn't a candidate for modification.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Flash":3ncjh3ye said:
I've disassembled all my Ruger double action revolvers which include the SP-101, GP-100, Sec. Six and Super Redhawk and found that the crane latch has barely enough metal to function properly and in my opinion, the recoil shield isn't a candidate for modification.
Hmmmm. Maybe that's the reason they made it look the way it does, then. :?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
+1 With Flash, It may sound "redundant" but there are "reasons" for just why factories/engineers build firearms the way they do! Load that Ruger DA revolver and then look at how much room you have for such things as: Headspace, ratchet room, cartridge "support" for the "other" five cartridges that are not lined up with the barrel under recoil, and the "extra" strength that Ruger puts into their guns to meet the "liability" issues and you see that there really is no "room" to mess with reliability and liability! Remember, almost "any" non-factory modification will "void" the unwritten warranty that Ruger normally provides along with a probibility of value decrease so go "cautiously" in any modification plans!........................Dick :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pinecone":2eokuvw4 said:
Load that Ruger DA revolver and then look at how much room you have for such things as: Headspace, ratchet room, cartridge "support" for the "other" five cartridges that are not lined up with the barrel under recoil, and the "extra" strength that Ruger puts into their guns...
S&W, Colt, Charter, Taurus, Rossi, Dan Wesson, etc etc etc have gotten along just fine for many decades with much less "meat" in the recoil shield, so these things are non-issues.

Making room for Ruger's unique cylinder latch, however, might well be a real and valid reason why they've made that part of the gun look the way it does. On the left side, anyway.

Flash

Buckeye
Snake45":27xfgwuo said:
Pinecone":27xfgwuo said:
Load that Ruger DA revolver and then look at how much room you have for such things as: Headspace, ratchet room, cartridge "support" for the "other" five cartridges that are not lined up with the barrel under recoil, and the "extra" strength that Ruger puts into their guns...
S&W, Colt, Charter, Taurus, Rossi, Dan Wesson, etc etc etc have gotten along just fine for many decades with much less "meat" in the recoil shield, so these things are non-issues.

Making room for Ruger's unique cylinder latch, however, might well be a real and valid reason why they've made that part of the gun look the way it does. On the left side, anyway.

You mention the cylinder latch. That comes up from under the cylinder from within the frame and locks into the notches for each chamber. The crane latch is the button on the left that opens the...............crane.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Evidently, size of frame is "not" a non-issue for Ruger, otherwise they wouldn't have made it bigger and stronger. Also for S&W with their "L" frame revolvers. Talk is "cheap" when "we" are not paying for the lawsuits they encounter!........................Dick :wink:

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
What do recoil shields "shield" against on a Ruger that other guns don't? Nothing, so it's hard to argue it's a safety thing. If they were flat against the frame, the frame itself wouldn't be any thinner.

Flash

Buckeye
targetshootr":3s6qtmkl said:
What do recoil shields "shield" against on a Ruger that other guns don't? Nothing, so it's hard to argue it's a safety thing. If they were flat against the frame, the frame itself wouldn't be any thinner.

Then grind your's off and let us know how it shoots.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
Flash":2og3b05y said:

I plan to do that. Once the gun gets here I'll give it a looksee and then decide.

Here's a pic of the right side of one. If the shield were the same shape as any other gun, how would it affect the function.

021610%20Handguns%20119.jpg

Flash

Buckeye
targetshootr":30tf976l said:
Flash":30tf976l said:

I plan to do that. Once the gun gets here I'll give it a looksee and then decide.

Here's a pic of the right side of one. If the shield were the same shape as any other gun, how would it affect the function.

Don't know since I wouldn't do it so you'll have to tell us after you grind it off and shoot it. :lol:

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I'm not married to the idea just yet because the hammer well also has a hump and I don't know how you'd modify that because the latch is so close to the edge of it. I may have to live with both. hehe.

021610%20Handguns%20120.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hey, I just thought of a solution to your problem.

Sell or trade the gun off and get a Smith 686 (or an old Colt King Cobra) and you'll have just the look you're looking for! :wink:

Sow's ears, silk purses, all that. :wink:

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I was going to use a 586 at first and then I decided the GP has more potential. It's almost like Ruger made their guns as platforms for bigger and better things. The 586 is going to become a 41 spl with a 4" half lug barrel. The blue GP is going to be a 41 spl too but with a 4" Python barrel with some other Python touches. :)

rhatimi

Bearcat
I personally like the look of the beefed up recoil shields on my gp. In fact the older service,speed,and security sixes all had full blown SA recoil shields on the right side. The problem I see with trimming the recoil shield on the left side is that it may interfere with the function of the cylinder release, and the tiny screw that fits into it.