Lets talk 10mm.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buy one. I'm sure it won't be your last.

Light bullets defeat the true potential/purpose of the 10mm, I have always liked the original (1980s) loads that break 1200fps with a 180gr or 1000+ with a 200gr nugget. It is EASY to load on my Dillon and my only regret is that I don't have a handy carbine in caliber same.

My 1006 took a whitetail cleanly and decisively at 30 yards (one shot) from my treestand, while others lugged 12 gauge slug guns to do the same.
All I read is opinion, but all I experience is knowledge. I like the 10mm, "because its there".

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I had a G20 Glock, intended to hog hunt with it. Except that it blew up on the first range session - case ruptured - I enjoyed it, but never got to shoot a hog with it, never trusted it a lot after that "ka-boom"! Converted a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 to .460 Rowland, and enjoyed shooting that beast - except with the comp it was WAY too loud to hunt with. Sold both of those to buy my Super Redhawk .480 Ruger, and I like it better than either or both of those semi-autos. I'll likely get another 10mm some day, but if I do it will be a 1911 of some brand, or maybe a revolver. Just don't see what 10mm will do in a revolver that I don't already have covered with .44 mags and .45 Colt? I had a Burris Fastfire III on the Glock, and my wife enjoyed shooting it, so recoil was not bad. I did have a Glock 6" barrel and a stronger recoil spring in it.

loaded round

Hunter
The same thing happened to my Model 21 Glock (45ACP) with factory ammo. Will never own another Glock.

mikewriter said:
I had a G20 Glock, intended to hog hunt with it. Except that it blew up on the first range session - case ruptured - I enjoyed it, but never got to shoot a hog with it, never trusted it a lot after that "ka-boom"! Converted a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 to .460 Rowland, and enjoyed shooting that beast - except with the comp it was WAY too loud to hunt with. Sold both of those to buy my Super Redhawk .480 Ruger, and I like it better than either or both of those semi-autos. I'll likely get another 10mm some day, but if I do it will be a 1911 of some brand, or maybe a revolver. Just don't see what 10mm will do in a revolver that I don't already have covered with .44 mags and .45 Colt? I had a Burris Fastfire III on the Glock, and my wife enjoyed shooting it, so recoil was not bad. I did have a Glock 6" barrel and a stronger recoil spring in it.

I have experience with a number of different platforms chambered in 10mm. I have owned S&W's 1006, 1066, and 1076. Glock 20. Colt Delta Elite. I now own 2 Kimbers, an Eclipse and Stainless Target.

My experiences have been mixed and sometimes scary. The Smith's didn't appeal to me because of the grip size and the "clunkyness". They shot just "okay".

The Glock lasted 3 rounds. I had a case failure that 3rd shot and I lost confidence in the platform. Never really liked the Glocks of any model. Didn't feel good in my hand and I was underwhelmed with the "plastic". I did talk to a group of out-fitters in Montana recently and to a man they carry G20's as their woods sidearm. Just not my cup of tea.....

Next came a Colt Delta Elite. A beautiful pistol. Natural pointability of the 1911. Handles the 10mm round great. HOWEVER, on the second magazine I had a case failure similar to the G20. After consulting a gunsmith, I learned the chamber isn't fully supported which probably contributed to the failure. The only positive really was the 1911 platform and it's user friendliness.

So, before I gave up I purchased a Kimber Custom II Stainless Target. The Kimber's chamber IS fully supported, which buoyed my confidence. It handled the standard factory loads and warmer Double Tap just fine. I also picked up a Kimber Custom II Eclipse. I like the Eclipse better because of appearance and the night sights. They both shoot and handle wonderfully and the accuracy is good. I am still "breaking in" the Kimbers, but am optimistic that I will be satisfied. Will probably keep the Eclipse and sell the Stainless Target.

As to the Sig, I have handled them and they don't feel good in my hand. Small hands I guess..... I will stick to the 1911 platform for my purposes.

Also, I would love to have a 5" pre-lock 610. One of my grail guns.....

Been very busy lately, hoping to get the rest of the funds together for the 10mm. pretty soon.

Also have my "Big .45 Colt project" I'm working on. (See other threads)

As far as 10mm. goes, I really like that Cryptic Camo one. I hope it's available in DA/SA.

Also I just got word that Sig is working on a 15+ round 10mm. based on the P227 design. I may need one of these as well.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Dave, you know I have my 3" 657 in .41 mag and although we're not talking apples to apples here but apples to oranges, I LOVE my .41 and have been thinking about a G-20 for a long time.
My thinking is that magmun power in a high cap gun.
Though it would definitely would be a nich gun I think it has its purpose.
For me that would be like hiking or camping in bear country where there may also be a need for self defense against two legged preadators too.
Case in point here in Va ,along the Appalachian trail ,there have been over the past 15 years or so more than a few muders on the trail close to the trail heads.
Now the 10 MM at full power IMHO is a bit of over kill for S.D.in all but the coldest weather when you would need to defeat muitable layers of clothing, but would be big medicine for black bears,so its a bit of a comprise ,my 657 can handle the bears just fine but its a heavy little beast and if your up against muitable bad guys you only have 6 rounds on tap.
The G 20 would fill in that nich,plenty of power and 15 rounds on tap,faster reloads, less weight,ect.
Having said all that ,I don't like big Glocks, the grip is just a tad bit too big for me .
You have the choice of the G 20 S.F.( short frame) and the G 20 in the Gen 4 .
I bought my own duty weapon a Gen 4 G 22 because with the slightly smaller grip it fit my hand better.
If the G 20 would be close to the Gen 4 G 22 I could manage it .
I own a late model G17 ( non rough texture finish) that I've done quite a bit of internal mods to and even though the frame is just a bit big for my hand, with the Ghost Rocket 3.5 lbs. trigger disconnecter it shortened up the trigger reach and reset I shoot it very well.
If the G 20 in either the Gen 4 or the S.F. version came close to that I'd be thinking hard about one, I'll have to go and check them out.
If my bike ever sells I just might pick one up for grins if the price is right.
Anyway that's my thoughts on the matter,if you do get a 10 MM in either the Glock or Sig,you'll be getting a fine gun but again a bit narrow purposed IMHO ,but buy the tool yóu need for the job and if the 10 is that tool, I think you'll be happy with it.
Your Friend,
Lou

nn

Single-Sixer
I recently shot some 170 JHP 10mm from PMC-----thought it was very accurate, worth trying.

hpman66

Hunter
http://www.humanevents.com/2010/12/07/inside-the-gun-locker-carrying-a-glock-10mm/
Guns & Patriots
Inside The Gun Locker: Carrying A Glock 10mm
By: bboatman
12/7/2010 03:01 AM

.....'Mike McNett, owner of Double Tap Ammunition [www.doubletapammo.com], is a hard-core 10mm fan and offers some of the very best loads around. His 135-grain JHP is rated at 1600 fps, and the Double Tap 180-grain Golden Saber JHP moves out at 1330 fps. As a comment on the ability of the Glock pistol to handle full-power 10mm ammo, McNett uses a stock 10mm Glock G20 for all of his testing and says he has put 80,000 rounds through the one gun without a hitch.'....

hpman66

Hunter
1. http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/glock-gen4-g20-10mm-pistol
Glock Gen4 G20 10 mm Pistol
The Gen4 G20 provides the stopping power of a Magnum revolver in a high-capacity semi-auto.
By B. Gil Horman (RSS)
August 06, 2013

2. http://www.americanhunter.org/blog.php?id=21390&cat=56
Glocks for Hunting?
By Keith Wood (RSS)
May 31, 2012

3. http://www.gunblast.com/Glock20.htm
Glock Model 20 10mm Auto Pistol
by Jeff Quinn
Photography by Jeff Quinn & Boge Quinn
October 26th, 2005

4. http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/gen-4-glock-20-review/
Glock 20 Gen 4 Review
by Payton Miller | August 14, 2013

5. http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/16/glock-model-20-pistol/#axzz23jTPtuIu
Glock Model 20 Pistol – Review
Posted on August 16, 2012
by Ammoland

6. http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2012/10/glock-20-sf/
Glock 20 SF 10mm
Simplicity, versatility and reliability in a big-bore personal defense 10mm pistol!
Author: Dennis Adler

7. http://www.chuckhawks.com/glock_20SF.htm
Glock 20 SF 10mm Auto Pistol
By the Guns and Shooting Online Staff

8. http://www.humanevents.com/2010/12/07/inside-the-gun-locker-carrying-a-glock-10mm/
Guns & Patriots
Inside The Gun Locker: Carrying A Glock 10mm
By: bboatman
12/7/2010 03:01 AM

m657

Buckeye
As much as I like my 610 revolver in 10mm, there are some limitations.
And I've never found Glock to fit my hand, built with shorter fingers & meatier manlier palm surface; nor my eye, my wrist, or my shoulder components for repeatable accuracy given other unchangeable physical aspects that compromise my adaptability.

Sig is now producing a 10mm P220 in multiple models.

Spendy but I'm going to go look at them.

Now if Sig would step up & just build a proper 41mag we'd be gaining for sure.

stevemb

Hunter
I've shot an early model Delta Elite and the Glocks. 10mm's are big hand handguns. I don't have big hands. I like the ballistics, but not the grip size needed to function. The "wimp" label can be applied to some, but I grew up with a .44mag SBH and have a few 100 rds thru the 480SBh now, don't believe that label can be applied to me. Add gloves for cold weather use and things only get worse. A limited market to start with.

loaded round

Hunter
I own both a Colt Delta Elite and a Sig P220 SAO in 10mm. The Colt is the same physical size as a standard 1911A1 and weighs the same; however, the Sig P220 is a much bigger pistol with a larger frame plus weighing quite a bit more. I don't consider the Delta elite a very large framed firearm unless you have small hands. JMHO.

stevemb said:
I've shot an early model Delta Elite and the Glocks. 10mm's are big hand handguns. I don't have big hands. I like the ballistics, but not the grip size needed to function. The "wimp" label can be applied to some, but I grew up with a .44mag SBH and have a few 100 rds thru the 480SBh now, don't believe that label can be applied to me. Add gloves for cold weather use and things only get worse. A limited market to start with.

Took a revolver to ship at my friendly FFL today. On the way home, I stopped at another shop. They had a Lipsey's Sig 220 Elite 10mm in the display case priced at $1099+tax. That would be roughly $1185 OTD. I almost bit, but plan to work more with my Kimber Eclipse before I spend MORE money on another pistol. Felt good in the hand though....... 8)

Dave

m657

Buckeye
Heliman:

I handled a Hunt Version (or whatever they call it) with the lizard -skin camo treatment and fiber optic/tritium front sight.

$1200 out the door.
I'm thinking hard about it.

But.....it's only a 10mm, not like a real caliber.....

and who needs another .357 mag (10mm terminal ballistics) limitation? I don't care for the round in a revolver.

Was a nicely fit pistol though......

Ya know, I don't really NEED a 10mm either...... just WANT one. This season when not armed with a rifle I either carried a 686 4" with 180gr hardcast loads or a 4" 44Mag Redhawk. I just acquired a 629 5" also. I just like the idea of a .40 cal "magnum". I have gone away from SA revolvers above 22 Mag in favor of DA's and Semi's. As I said, just WANT the 10mm.... :D

Dave

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Love the feel of the 220.
So you can see, It's hard for me to resist one in 10mm.
Well, if you get the 220R5-10-RTAS-MSE and decide you don't like it,
I'll trade you straight across for an original Colt Delta Elite NIB! :roll:
(Yup, unfired)

:D

RaisinRiverRon

Single-Sixer
I have a Kimber Target Custom II in 10mm. I really like it.
The only thing I don't care for is that it ejects the spent cases into the next county.

Latest posts