Lets talk 10mm.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK. Maybe this will turn out ok now. Phone battery died when drafting the perfectly crafted 10mm. post.

Last week, a friend of mine let (made) me shoot his new 10mm. It was a Glock 20 Gen. 4. Very powerful gun, the recoil impulse was stout, snappy, but not too bad. Unlike the .50AE this was actually manageable. I could get shots back to the center of the target pretty quickly.

He sold his last .40S&W, a Glock 22, to help finish his funding for this weapon. He has a ton of ammo and reloading supplies for it. He pretty much has me talked into one...

Well In trying to acquire a Sig P220 10mm. I recently sold my last .40 on this very forum, I thought I was sick and had a fever, it was a Sig P226, elite, of all things. But I'm seriously interested in a 10mm. and my .45 long colt project can't wait any longer (see other thread)

I had more to add but it got lost with the original post.

So please post your experiences, good, bad, indifferent, that you've had with the 10mm.

I'm excited about this, and really want to read what you have to share!

m657

Buckeye
I've long been indifferent to the 10mm, as I'm a 41 mag fan.....'the round Gawd Herself intended when she invented shot & shell'.....

Other than that, I've never really be around any 10mm autos that fit my hand.

My S&W 610 revolver [3-9/16" barrel] ,though, handles both 40 & 10mm. It fits my hand and eye very well, and is very slick SA with a solid indexing DA lock up if I want to use that style. In short, as perfect as I could ever hope to find.

I had long shot ICORE & steel matches with the 40, but no reason to fire up the fire breathing 10.

Then I started taking the 610 to pin matches. I had shot other larger calibers with good results, and found 9mm required absolute precise placement in the sweet pin spot, to make good results of pins falling OFF table, not just 'falling down'.

The 40, even with 180 hot loads, knocked 'em down and snappier than the 9s for sure.
Still not 'special'.....as too often pins would still roll around too much & require follow shot to knock OFF table.

so then I loaded up a few moon clips of 10mm.

The pins didn't just 'fall down'.

They moved straight back about 4' off the table and THEN fell down.

So I'm a fan of revolver 10mm now.

Can't see the attraction in auto loader though....all the ones I handle just don't fit my grip.

But others rave about 'em.

Good luck. Plan on reloading.

Don Lovel said:
I had a S&W 1076 FBI model that I sent back to S&W Performance and had it gone through, real nice EDC, same size as a Commander size 1911, but carries 10rnds of 10mm

Sounds great, please post pics if possible. How does it shoot?

m657 said:
I've long been indifferent to the 10mm, as I'm a 41 mag fan.....'the round Gawd Herself intended when she invented shot & shell'.....

Other than that, I've never really be around any 10mm autos that fit my hand.

My S&W 610 revolver [3-9/16" barrel] ,though, handles both 40 & 10mm. It fits my hand and eye very well, and is very slick SA with a solid indexing DA lock up if I want to use that style. In short, as perfect as I could ever hope to find.

I had long shot ICORE & steel matches with the 40, but no reason to fire up the fire breathing 10.

Then I started taking the 610 to pin matches. I had shot other larger calibers with good results, and found 9mm required absolute precise placement in the sweet pin spot, to make good results of pins falling OFF table, not just 'falling down'.

The 40, even with 180 hot loads, knocked 'em down and snappier than the 9s for sure.
Still not 'special'.....as too often pins would still roll around too much & require follow shot to knock OFF table.

so then I loaded up a few moon clips of 10mm.

The pins didn't just 'fall down'.

They moved straight back about 4' off the table and THEN fell down.

So I'm a fan of revolver 10mm now.

Can't see the attraction in auto loader though....all the ones I handle just don't fit my grip.

But others rave about 'em.

Good luck. Plan on reloading.
Great response! Love the detail and thoughtfulness in this post. Huge revolver fan here. I have a 625 Mountain on layaway (45 long colt) wasn't aware of a 10mm revolver. May have to look at one of those as well. Very happy with the results I've experienced with 10mm. already.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
LOVE the 10mm!

On the negative side, ammo is more expensive than some calibers. :roll:

I found a really nice load for 180Gr HPs (probably work fine for FMJ as well)
that is a tad below the "ground pounder" that top end loads are. I got a
S&W 1006 while they were in production and that calms the round to no
more than a perceived .45ACP. I also REALLY got lucky and found another
S&W, this a 610 in five inch. A GEM! Have both the half-moon and full-moon
clips for it and you can load up two or three boxes of ammo in those and
just have a BLAST (told you it was more expensive ( :D )!

I've also looked at the new Sig P220-10mm and would LOVE one, but I tried
to work a deal at Cabellas . . . . . . . let's just say it went South. I do not care
for the Sig SAO version (the one easiest to find) but they make a
P220-RS-10-RTAS-MSE that is the standard DA/SA you see in most Sigs.
WANT . . WANT . . WANT!

OH! One other thing:

10mm.jpg

Everybody keeps talking about this "S&W 610" I'm looking it up...

The P220 I'm considering (decided on) is the DA/SA all stainless model. Very excited. After selling my .40 cal. P226, I'm almost there!

737tdi

Hunter
DA: I really don't understand the point?? Other then being able to buy an auto it is sub to .44. If you want a revolver then shoot .44 or .41. If you want to shoot an auto then the ballistics are not much better then a .40. I know you said you got rid of the .40 but it is much more controllable then the 10 mike mike. JMO but .40 is a better round/firearm just due to target acquisition. The 10 just causes way to much barrel flip and way to much blinding barrel flash. I would love to own a smaller .44 auto but it seems to be a dream. I guess that is the only reason to reach out and shoot something close. Ah heck, maybe the 10mm is an answer. I just don't want to have to buy a different ammo.

Karl

737tdi

Hunter
By the way, I keep a .44 mag in the car and truck. Sure, I can't carry it but I can grab it.

Karl

hpman66

Hunter
One that I have wondered about would be a Glock 20 with a 6" or 9" Glock factory, KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, etc. barrel. With a 15 round magazine, that would a pretty formidable weapon. I have read that a lot of bush pilots carry the Glock 20 or Glock 29 because of its power and magazine capacity. I would assume that it would be legal for deer in most states---correct me if I am wrong.

Pics:
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...q=glock+20,+6",9",+barrel&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl

(The Hickok45 video is informative-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HccnkSg49CI)

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
If you dream about firing .41Mag silvertips from a more or less service sized semiauto , then 10mm is your huckleberry ! Admittedly that is a fairly nArrow niche, but unique if that's what you actually want.

I IS "versa(ile" but unless you are truely a one gun , or one full size centerfire pistol type of person , the more moderate loads of 10mm can be fulfilled by .40 or .45acp with less expensive , more available ammo.

While you can buy "interesting" hot loads from boutique mfgs , the 10mm begs to be handloaded.

I purchased a G29sf , with intent to (eventually) persue the other interpetation of Versatile.: conversion bbls. Plans include ; .40s&w, .357sig , & G20 length in 10mm ( legal to hunt where I usually handgun hunt , substitute or add 6in bbl if needed for you) . G20 mag w/ grip sleve will give good grip for control.

contender

Ruger Guru
Back in the late 1990's as I was just getting into USPSA,,, I was considering what guns I would use. I started with my plain old single stack 1911 in 45 acp. But I was eyeing the possibility of building a double stack high cap true Limited category gun. I did a lot of research. Here is what I found.
The 10mm is longer than the 40 S&W.
The factory ammo is more expensive.
Reloading removes the expense differences part.
The 10mm had more versatility than the 40 S&W.

But the one thing that kept me looking into building a 10mm over the more popular 40 S&W was that the gunsmiths I spoke with told me I'd experience a lot less feeding issues with a 10mm. Due to the longer case, it adapted to the 1911 style with less problems. When using a 40 S&W the bullets you chose had to be loaded "long" quite often, or with a bit more crimp to give reliable function. With the 10mm those issues were lessened a lot.
On the down side,,, due to much more widely available cheap brass & ease at finding ammo, the 40 was & still is the preferred caliber.

I went as far as buying 1000 cases of new Starline brass in 10 mm. I still have them.

All the time I was shooting a Single-Stack 1911 in the Limited category I was looking at the build. Then the USPSA introduced the Limited-10 category. It was initially introduced to allow those of us who wanted to use a 1911 a category where we weren't handicapped by magazine capacity over the double stacked guns.
My project got put on the back burner.
The USPSA screwed us by allowing the folks with a true Limited gun to "Only load 10 rounds" in their Limited guns. That meant that the Limited folks could compete in a different category with the same gun. The Limited guns shoot the 40 S&W, and are softer recoiling & as such the intent of L-10 was lost. So now they have the Single-Stack division, which was intended to let the 1911 traditionalists have a place. Of course,,, many folks had a 40 cal Single-Stack gun built, and now they also have a 9mm in it as well.
Well, I'd won a Springfield GI Mil-Spec 45. Then over time I won a few gift certificates. One was for a barrel & bushing. One was for a set of XS sights. I decided to buy a slide, firing pin & extractor & ejector for a 40 S&W & build a L-10 gun that would compete better.

My issues started because of magazines.
In a single stack magazine, to feed the 40 S&W they put in a spacer in the back of the magazine to feed the shorter round. In a 10mm mag,,, no spacer. Unfortunately the guy who calls himself a gunsmith let a newly hired, out of gunsmithing school guy do the milling of my slide for the rear sight. A royal screw-up. He broke off a tap. He got it too deep. It had to be welded up & re-cut. It was still too deep & when I went to shoot it,,, to get it to hit center I had to unscrew the base adjustment all the way out. I'd shoot it and the rear would flip up & look like an old military rifle sight.
I had a different gunsmith remove the rear, re-weld the rear, and re-cut the dovetail. I've played with the bullet seating etc & have almost eliminated the feeding issues.
But every time I THINK I have it,,, an issue pops up.

I wish I'd gotten it in a 10mm.

To say it's been frustrating trying to use the 40 in my category is an understatement. I'm trying to compete in it as it was intended.
The 10mm would have been the way to go. It was due to brass costs that I chose the 40 over the 10. I get all the 40 I want for free, yet 10mm isn't so easily found.

So, having 2 buckets (5 gal each,) of 40 S&W brass, I tried to be positive. Then,, I stumbled upon a SWEET S&W 40 S&W revolver. A 6 shot model 646. Built around the idea of competition. I bought it, and proceeded to acquire a bunch of moon clips, a holster, a moon carrier, & a few other things.

The USPSA screwed me again. They adopted the rule allowing a 9mm 8 shot revolver. Does it work? Yep,,, the last few major matches have been dominated by the 9's over the 6 shot revolvers. Most folks shooting revolvers all these years have been using a 45 acp or a few in 38 spl. The 40 S&W revolver didn't sell well enough to catch on & as such, cheap ammo in 9mm pushed the idea ahead, as well as the 2 extra rounds. Yes, 9mm is scored "minor" so it can cost you in points if you are out of the "A" zone. But the softer recoil, and the extra 2 rounds make things go faster & speed is a serious part of the game.

Back to the drawing board.

The 10mm is without a doubt a fine caliber & it's design was to be a solid LEO round in a semi-auto. Too bad there were too many wimps in law enforcement who were not shooters that complained about the recoil & such to where the softer 40 S&W was adopted. If the LEO's had been real shooters,,, we'd have a bunch of 10mm's & the 40 wouldn't be a spot on it's backside!

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
love my 4 inch 610 revolver. Seems to be mechanically more accurate than others in the stable. I have heard it is because of the relative youth of the round that barrels and chambers are correctly milled from the start. IDK, maybe. Nice platform for both the 10mm and the 40 short and weak. Took two whitetails the year before at 20 yds. one hit well, just blew up the heart. the other hit too low but sent rib pieces up into the lungs. Both only went about 10 yds. I won't be selling it anytime soon. Kyle

muzzleloader said:
love my 4 inch 610 revolver. Seems to be mechanically more accurate than others in the stable. I have heard it is because of the relative youth of the round that barrels and chambers are correctly milled from the start. IDK, maybe. Nice platform for both the 10mm and the 40 short and weak. Took two whitetails the year before at 20 yds. one hit well, just blew up the heart. the other hit too low but sent rib pieces up into the lungs. Both only went about 10 yds. I won't be selling it anytime soon. Kyle

Lol .40 S&W = .40 short & weak... Haha. I love it!

cas6969

Buckeye
I recently said elsewhere: the 10mm is a really powerful cartridge... for people who don't actually shoot powerful cartridges. :lol:

I'm kind of ho-hum about it. I think i fired one box through my Buckeye Blackhawk, much preferring modern hot loadings of .38-40.

I bought a 6" 1911 earlier this year. I was surprised how little recoil there is, but I do have it rather heavily sprung. :wink: I think my regular 45's kick more. I'll drag it around the woods some this winter, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Don Lovel

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Don Lovel said:
I had a S&W 1076 FBI model that I sent back to S&W Performance and had it gone through, real nice EDC, same size as a Commander size 1911, but carries 10rnds of 10mm

Sounds great, please post pics if possible. How does it shoot?
Had to sell it when I had my eye problems. I made the Hogues fit the decocker with an exacto knife,

reloader

Single-Sixer
The S&W 1006 with silvertips...a little small for bear, a little too big for carry, but I can't think of a better gun for shooting bowling pins.

Latest posts