Let's see some custom 1911s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I am looking for some inspiration for my commander sized SR1911. I was considering buying something a bit "fancier" than the Ruger, but it's such a solid pistol. Let's see what you guys have done. Please list all of your modifications with your pictures so we don't miss anything. All makes and models of 1911s welcome. Time to show off your favorites.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
My tricked out Les Baer. Gun shoots under 1" at 25 yards and under 2" at 50 yards using 185 grain Underwood ammo

There has been so much done to it that I cant even keep track. Its currently off being cerakoted Bronze and Black
20220428_142759.jpg
20220428_143048.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
I could spend some time trying to find the pics of my custom 1911s, but I don't think they'd impress you, so why bother?

All I "require" in a custom 1911 (or any other gun) is:

1. Sights I can see.
2. A trigger I can pull.
3. A grip that's comfortable to me, and if it looks good, so much the better.

My custom 1911s and Commanders have hi-vis fixed sights, flat mainspring housings, and long no-hole triggers. Grips are usually diamond-pattern walnut. The Commander-hammer guns have 1911A1 grip safeties with a notch ground in them to clear the hammer. I'm comfortable with the 1911A1 grip safety and don't care for the looks of the "beavertail/duck butt" grip safeties, although I admit they're very comfortable to shoot. Two have S&W K-frame adjustable rear sights, but they were built back in the '70s when that was a popular custom mod, and before I realized that on a 1911, high-viz fixed sights are superior. My 1911s built since then all have fixed sights.

If you don't like the way the gun is shooting, or handles, for some reason, concentrate on fixing THAT. Otherwise, my advice to you would be LITFA (leave it alone). Here endeth the lesson. ;)

gunzo

Buckeye
I used to make a lot of my shooting money by cutting on 1911's. Milling the slide for new sights, lowering ejection ports, fitting beavertails & combat safeties, etc.
Now days most 1911's come with all that done at the factory. Seems all is left is frontstrap checkering, mag wells, grips or a paint job.
Oh, & I probably did lighten the triggers in these, but the 30 lpi hand cut checkering is the only thing else I've done. The skateboard tape on the other is just as effective.

Last edited:

XP100

Blackhawk
Colt Combat Elite, Series 80, Mark IV, Clark compensated BBL, Beveled Mag Well, oversize Ambi safety, Mag release Slide release, Extended grip safety,Pachmayer grips, 10 rnd. mag, custom trigger,

Attachments

• DSCN0044 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0044 - Copy.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 109

buckshot

Single-Sixer
This is a good start. There are some good looking 1911's starting to show up in this thread. But I'm fairly curtain that there are a lot more that could be posted here. Come on everyone let's see some more 1911s!

chowser51

Bearcat
barrel extension and threading by adco. frame in molyresin by coyotekiller. hogue grips, and i forget where the clipon magwell and slip on front checkering are from.

sr19119-zpsiwarcpev.jpg

Top one is a Civilian 1950 Colt that my neighbor used in 3 gun NRA Bull's-eye Competition and won many events. Bottom one is a stock 1918 Colt. Both given to me by my neighbor.
I had the weight removed, the extended rib removed back to the muzzle and put stock grips on it. Son and I shot it this past weekend. an outstanding shooter. :)

CIMG3529-1.jpg