Let's have some fun... Post significant events, crucial historical moments, dates, trivia, etc. of firearms and other weapons.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
Join in the discussion, post, and explore the rich tapestry of gun history.

Although this thread is primarily about firearms, you are invited to include other things related to firearms.
For example: Share and celebrate the craftsmanship, ingenuity, and cultural impact of firearms throughout the ages.

~~~ Let Us Begin ~~~

Last edited:

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
The Shot Heard Round The World: April 19, 1775.

On April 19, 1775, the Revolutionary War began in Massachusetts at the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

The "shot heard round the world" is a phrase that refers to the opening shot of the battles of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775, which sparked the American Revolutionary War and led to the creation of the United States. It originates from the opening stanza of Ralph Waldo Emerson's 1837 poem "Concord Hymn".

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

~ Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

Last edited:
Is this why we get bad press?
1717461655793.png

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
John Browning's 1st Patent (1879)

September 7, 1879
John Browning patented his first firearm, a single-shot falling-block rifle.
He was 24 years old in 1879

KIR

Sparks, NV
Thread sounds a little like it could be doing genealogy. I like it!
Of course there are many books out there that relate history of firearms, but many members of the forum may not know many things about it/them.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Does a shotgun wedding count?
Now that reminds me of a story:

Nita and I joined EastSide Baptist Church in July of 1991. Shortly after, one Sunday evening, I was talking with some of the men, my new-found brothers-in-Christ. Somehow the conversation turned to guns. (Imagnine that!) One of the men, older than I and sort of of a dry humor, remarked that the only gun he had was a 12 gs. shotgun, given him at their wedding.

I feigned a surprised look, and remarked, :Why, Brother Clyde, I didn't know you got to keep it!"

Took him a few seconds to catch my meaning, then chuckled and repeated, "....didn't know you got to keep it."

This man was Clyde Jones, now long since departed this life.

Bob Wright

Bob, I have an official wedding shotgun that I painted gold. It's a 1901 Harrington and Richardson 16 gauge single barrel. I also have a ball and chain for the groom! It's more of a joke today than it used to be. My dad used to say that the 1st one could arrive at any time but the rest all took 9 months. I would have liked to see the look on your friend Clyde's face when you gave him that zinger!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
This story was related on some TV series some time ago:

In an old western frontier town, two "soiled doves" got into an argument and decided to settle the matter with gunplay. They armed themselves and squared off in the street outside their place of employment. One took a bullet in her lower regions.

The next day the town newspaper reported that the two shot it out, with one ".............taking a bullet in her PUBLIC region."

When many guffawed at the misprint, most agreed it was entirely correct.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
One of the shooters who rrequented the local range was a professor at the local university. I never knew whether he was a batchelor or a widower, but knew he lived alone. His gun of choice was a Smith & Wesson model 25, in .45 Colt. He would bring 300 rounds to the range, shoot them all int one paper target, then pack up and go home. And there were times he took long absences from Saturday morning shooting. After a little digging, it was determined that was when he had a girl (a polite term, to be sure) friend. One morning I approached the subject with him, and he did admit that it was when he had a girl friend.

"George," I told him, "shooting and women are not either/or propositions, you can do both."

He looked at me thoughtfully thinking over what I had said, then, "Humph! I never thought of that."

Bob Wright

Paul B

Hunter
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." Adolph Hitler

He also said, "What good fortune for government that the people do not think"

Think long and hard on that last comment.
Paul B.

contender

Ruger Guru
Many good posts here.

The picture of the couple,, set to shoot rifles,, made me study it a bit. I know it was done as a satire picture. But as a firearm safety instructor,, if that guy did fire off a round,, the girl would NOT be very happy. The rifle the guy has,, employs a muzzle brake. The blast from that,, will be VERY loud,, and possibly hot for her. She is wearing ear plugs,, but I know that's not enough.

Luckily,,, I can see it was a set-up picture & not likely an actual firing position. Interesting,, but not practical.

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
D-Day, 6 June 1944
Interesting Facts about D-Day

Click Below
To Read Article