Lest we forget, The Beginning of the End.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
On this day in History, 1945, the B-29 Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.
Three days later, B-29 Bockscar dropped the second bomb on Nagasaki.

Finally on August 14, 1945, Japan surrendered unconditionally, bringing the end of World War Two.

sfhogman

Buckeye
Here is a very good article on the bombing from a very gifted writer and thinker. It's an excerpt from one of his books, which I now see I'll have to purchase:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2015/08/hiroshima-view-from-front-lines.html

Jeff

FastEd

Hunter
sfhogman said:
Here is a very good article on the bombing from a very gifted writer and thinker. It's an excerpt from one of his books, which I now see I'll have to purchase:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2015/08/hiroshima-view-from-front-lines.html

Jeff

Hitting the nail squarely on the head.

FastEd

Hunter
One of the strangest rumors about the A-Bombings did not surface until years after this all happened.
I thought it was fascinating. If it was true it showed how determined President Truman was to end this war.
The same day that the Japs decided to finally surrender there was a B-29 in the air with a third bomb waiting for a signal from headquarters.

Senseless politics between Tojo and Hirohito arguing over whether or not to surrender could have caused annihilation of the entire Japanese Empire.

opos

Buckeye
I only wish it truly could be "the beginning of the end" but I fear with the recent "deal" in Iran that the U.S. might be setting itself up to be the Hiroshima of the 21st Century...we are financing their nuke program by lifting the embargo's and protecting their production by our "deal"...what a lack of understanding of how history can repeat.

Paul B

Buckeye
FastEd said:
On this day in History, 1945, the B-29 Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.
Three days later, B-29 Bockscar dropped the second bomb on Nagasaki.

Finally on August 14, 1945, Japan surrendered unconditionally, bringing the end of World War Two.
That occurred just 5 days before my 7th birdthday. Probably the best early BD present anyone for ever get. 8)
Paul B.

FastEd

Hunter
opos said:
I only wish it truly could be "the beginning of the end" but I fear with the recent "deal" in Iran that the U.S. might be setting itself up to be the Hiroshima of the 21st Century...we are financing their nuke program by lifting the embargo's and protecting their production by our "deal"...what a lack of understanding of how history can repeat.

Don't worry about Israel. They have the weapons and the know how to destroy Iran as soon as they make a move.
I actually feel sorry for them.

don44

Hunter
The Empire of Japan got exactly what they deserved !!!!

blackhawknj

Buckeye
The late Professor Paul Fussell of Rutgers wrote an essay entitled "Hooray for the Atom Bomb!" He was a platoon leader in the 104th Infantry Division, when the shooting stopped in Europe the 104th together with other late war divisions was shipped back to the States to prepare for the Invasion of Japan. When they learned of the Bomb, they knew the war was over.

willk

Blackhawk
I do believe I am alive today because of our nuclear attack on Japan. How many Americans and Japanese born after 1945 can also say the same

sfhogman

Buckeye
I can.
On 8/6/1945 my father was headed toward Japan on a troopship, having already served in Europe. A few days later, the GIs felt the ship turning in mid ocean. A couple went up on deck to verify as the squawk box went off, telling them that the Bombs had been dropped, and that they were going home. Soon they were sailing through the Golden Gate. Dad told the story to my brother and I more than once; it was a moment worth remembering.

Jeff

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
willk said:
I do believe I am alive today because of our nuclear attack on Japan. How many Americans and Japanese born after 1945 can also say the same

And the "changing attitudes" toward the use of the bombs are doubtless due to the fact, that so many members of that generation whose lives were saved by their use are now no longer with us.

I expect that you'll see the same thing playing out in Holocaust revisionism, now that most of those who escaped the camps are gone. To the extent it isn't already.

The statistic that's stuck with me ever since I came across it as a child - it was in a biography of the legendary Japanese fighter ace Mitsuo Fuchida - was that the invasion of Japan was expected to cost a minimum of five million lives.

Four million of those lives would have been Japanese.

Were the atomic bombs horrible? Yes. That said: Go read of the incineration of Tokyo and Dresden, all of which was done with conventional explosives, napalm and phosphorus. And which generated far worse death tolls.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If there had been no Pearl Harbor, there would have been no Hiroshima.

My late brother-in-law was on the pier in San Francisco ready to board a troopship when they were ordered to stand down.

Bob Wright

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Today, there were a couple of liberal morons on the local lefty PBS station spewing about how terrible the USA was to drop the bombs and how they should have just "demonstrated" the power by droppnig one in the ocean and how the "million" deaths from an invasion was nonsense because the Japanese had no planes or weapons left-- and Yada yada yada;
Nothig but sheer idiocitc left winger idiocy and BULLSHYTE; NOT TO MENTION that they were ALSO blaming the USA for FORCING the Japanese to go to war thanks to our "boycotts" . Same same old leftist idiocy and brainless dribble.
Thank GOD for the Atom bombs, ended the war and probably also kept my Dad from eventually being shipped there

RugerHound

Hunter
On this topic - I highly recommend a movie from 1952 about Col Paul Tibbetts entitled "Above And Beyond". Robert Taylor plays Tibbetts. It's really quite a piece of work.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
For the roughly 1 million, estimated, soldiers, sailors and airmen who would have died in an invasion of the Japanese home islands, it was the beginning of a new beginning.

That number includes all of my uncles, and very possibly my father as he was scheduled to ship to the Pacific theater from the European theater.

Today folks wail about the loss of life, yet they never stop and think that American lives were saved by those two bombs. In fact, I've read that some folks think it even save Japanese lives that would have been lost in such an invasion.