Les Baer UTC from Severns Custom

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeus

Blackhawk
I bought this gun a while back from Dave of Severns Custom and asked that if he didn't mind, doing a few modifications to the gun prior to shipping it, I had a list for him. They are not major changes, mostly very subtle and some that you would never really notice like the slide stop and safety but things I wanted to do none the less. I do love all the Baers I've bought over the years but there has always been a few odd and end changes I want to make but don't want to mail them back off for work so this way worked out very well. Well, I got the email Friday that it had been shipped. Was out of town until last night but got a call yesterday from my dealer letting me know it arrived. Picked it up today at lunch and I can say that I'm very impressed with the work and Dave is about as nice a guy as your gonna meet.

I gave Dave a list that went like this:
-remove stock sights and replace with the 10-8 Rear and a Megadot front
-remove slide stop lever and replace/fit with tool steel part
-remove thumb safety and replace/fit with tool steel part
-serrate rear of slide
-fit/serrate/finish extra extractor
-flatten slide stop on right side and slightly bevel frame
-French border
-Ball cuts
-replace bushing with thicker bushing with matching plug and flush cut/crown barrel
-just break the edge of the bottom of the slide, prefer that to the heavy bevels personally
but did want the edge slightly broken
-Hard Hat finish when done, leave the trigger, barrel, and hammer silver. He also finished 5 mag bodies for me to match.

I went back and forth on flattening the slide top and serrating in the arrow pattern but decided that it may be too much on this one and will probably do that on the next one that I have built off of a Colt or something along those lines that isn't already cut for Novak sights.

Here is what she looks like when done. Its a silky smooth machine. I look forward to getting it out and getting it dirty now. Got a lot of ammo that has just been waiting for it to arrive :) I'm going to eventually pick out some new stocks for it but I don't know what I want just yet so for the time being, I'll leave it as is...Thanks Dave! Its exactly what I was wanting. I appreciate your help with this project!

ra

Single-Sixer
That is one nice looking 1911.
On my blue PII I put a set of VZ Gator Backs in black desert sand, they fell right and look good.

Roger

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Dunno man, that transition from the ball cut to the front edge of the dust cover looks a few thou off.... :?

Nicely done understated pistol. I bet your little list of mods set you back north of a Ruger 1911! :wink:

Zeus

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ said:
Dunno man, that transition from the ball cut to the front edge of the dust cover looks a few thou off.... :?

Nicely done understated pistol. I bet your little list of mods set you back north of a Ruger 1911! :wink:

Haha. I thought the same thing when I saw that picture. Barranti and I were talking about it so I went and looked at the gun and another picture. It's right, the picture just must have been at a weird angle :)

The list of mods were all pretty subtle but Daves prices are really reasonable to be honest. Great guy. While on the subject of great folks, here are a couple pics with another Barranti rig. This is his Summer Classic.

Gunner4640

Bearcat
Zeus said:
I bought this gun a while back from Dave of Severns Custom and asked that if he didn't mind, doing a few modifications to the gun prior to shipping it, I had a list for him. They are not major changes, mostly very subtle and some that you would never really notice like the slide stop and safety but things I wanted to do none the less. I do love all the Baers I've bought over the years but there has always been a few odd and end changes I want to make but don't want to mail them back off for work so this way worked out very well. Well, I got the email Friday that it had been shipped. Was out of town until last night but got a call yesterday from my dealer letting me know it arrived. Picked it up today at lunch and I can say that I'm very impressed with the work and Dave is about as nice a guy as your gonna meet.

I gave Dave a list that went like this:
-remove stock sights and replace with the 10-8 Rear and a Megadot front
-remove slide stop lever and replace/fit with tool steel part
-remove thumb safety and replace/fit with tool steel part
-serrate rear of slide
-fit/serrate/finish extra extractor
-flatten slide stop on right side and slightly bevel frame
-French border
-Ball cuts
-replace bushing with thicker bushing with matching plug and flush cut/crown barrel
-just break the edge of the bottom of the slide, prefer that to the heavy bevels personally
but did want the edge slightly broken
-Hard Hat finish when done, leave the trigger, barrel, and hammer silver. He also finished 5 mag bodies for me to match.

I went back and forth on flattening the slide top and serrating in the arrow pattern but decided that it may be too much on this one and will probably do that on the next one that I have built off of a Colt or something along those lines that isn't already cut for Novak sights.

Here is what she looks like when done. Its a silky smooth machine. I look forward to getting it out and getting it dirty now. Got a lot of ammo that has just been waiting for it to arrive :) I'm going to eventually pick out some new stocks for it but I don't know what I want just yet so for the time being, I'll leave it as is...Thanks Dave! Its exactly what I was wanting. I appreciate your help with this project!

I just love the looks of that gun and holster, does the holster have the hammer thong?

Zeus

Blackhawk
No hammer thong. It's built just like the original Brill holster. Holds very snug but releases smooth as silk. For under the jacket in winter here in KS, it's a nice way to pack these guns :). Mike has a bunch of other carry options on his website. I also have his summer special IWB pictured above and it's super nice.

Latest posts