length over al

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I am concerned that 44 mag loa with light loads of unique,(6 grs) and was wondering if I could just seat the bullet to 44 spec loa and use this for all standard loading?

suggestions???

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
With unique I have used light loads(usually 8grs) or 44special loads and just seated the bullet as I would a mag round with no problems for many years.

Enigma

Hunter
two bit okie":2eo31jjn said:
I am concerned that 44 mag loa with light loads of unique,(6 grs) and was wondering if I could just seat the bullet to 44 spec loa and use this for all standard loading?

suggestions???

No, you can't - not unless you're using .44 Spl brass. The reason is that seating the bullet deeper will cause chamber pressure to increase dramatically. You may, or may not, experience serious pressure-related problems.

You need to use the load data provided the way it was developed - within reasonable tolerances, anyway. As long as the OAL is short enough for your cylinder to turn, you won't have a problem.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Enigma":3skvp0ea said:
[

No, you can't - not unless you're using .44 Spl brass. The reason is that seating the bullet deeper will cause chamber pressure to increase dramatically. You may, or may not, experience serious pressure-related problems.

You need to use the load data provided the way it was developed - within reasonable tolerances, anyway. As long as the OAL is short enough for your cylinder to turn, you won't have a problem.

I do not believe chamber pressure will increase when using a 44 special load in a 44 mag case with the oal set to 44 special length. (i'm working on the assumption the 6 grains of unique is data pulled from a 44 special recipe.) It sounds about right, since Skeeter's load is 7.5 grains of Unique.

regardless of how much longer the 44 brass is, if the OAL is the same as the 44 special then the available volume of the case is the same as if a 44 special case was used. Same available volume will mean same pressure. if the load is a safe 44 special load, it will still be a safe 44 special load with the same pressure as long as the OAL is the same, and the same bullet is used.

regardless of the length of the brass..........When using the same bullet and the same OAL, there will be the same distance from the case head to the base of the bullet. So the available volume will be the same.

Now, i wouldn't suggest using the 44 mag case and seating the bullet to 44 special OAL because of the cannelure on the bullet will probably be well below the 44 mag brass and prevent obtaining a good crimp.

~c.r.

revhigh

Hawkeye
c.r.":xfqhxlg4 said:
regardless of how much longer the 44 brass is, if the OAL is the same as the 44 special then the available volume of the case is the same as if a 44 special case was used.

Now, i wouldn't suggest using the 44 mag case and seating the bullet to 44 special OAL because of the cannelure on the bullet will probably be well below the 44 mag brass and prevent obtaining a good crimp.

CORRECT ... plus, it would just plain be silly to do that. The bullet would be pushed so far into the case it would be ludicrous, and you may not even be able to get a crimp on it because you may be into where the bullet starts tapering.

I again say ... WHY DO PEOPLE BUY 44 MAGNUMS AND 357 MAGNUMS and then try to DOWNLOAD THEM to ridiculous levels ?? If you want to shoot 38 specials or 44 specials buy the right FREAKING brass. THE END.

Reloading is not an EXPERIMENT, it's an exact science that can't be modified because you're too cheap to buy the right components, or don't have the right components on hand.

REV

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Rev high, I would normally agree, however I had the 44's befor the onset of artharitas in the hands and fingers.

I still have some gin-u-wine 44 mag loads, but most of them are light.

revhigh

Hawkeye
two bit okie":t5boch4j said:
Rev high, I would normally agree, however I had the 44's befor the onset of artharitas in the hands and fingers.

I still have some gin-u-wine 44 mag loads, but most of them are light.

I'd still use the right brass okie ... using small charges in large cases could have unintended results with the wrong powder choice.

Stay safe !

REV

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Use "cowboy" load data for the 44 mag. There is plenty of data out there to get the velocity as low as you want. Here is just a few to get you started.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

200 GR. LRNFP CAST Hodgdon Universal .430" 1.570" 6.8gr 897fps 10,500 CUP 7.8gr 1045fps 15,400 CUP
200 GR. LRNFP CAST Winchester 231 .430" 1.570" 5.8 875 10,800 CUP 7.4 1039 16,700 CUP
200 GR. LRNFP CAST Hodgdon HP-38 .430" 1.570" 5.8 875 10,800 CUP 7.4 1039 16,700 CUP
200 GR. LRNFP CAST IMR SR 7625 .430" 1.570" 5.9 812 11,100 CUP
200 GR. LRNFP CAST IMR PB .430" 1.570" 5.1 781 10,700 CUP
200 GR. LRNFP CAST IMR Trail Boss .430" 1.570" 6.1 890 17,900 PSI 7.7 988 20,700 PSI

Jimbo

Sturgell

Bearcat
revhigh":3e2s9tdk said:
CORRECT ... plus, it would just plain be silly to do that. The bullet would be pushed so far into the case it would be ludicrous, and you may not even be able to get a crimp on it because you may be into where the bullet starts tapering.

I again say ... WHY DO PEOPLE BUY 44 MAGNUMS AND 357 MAGNUMS and then try to DOWNLOAD THEM to ridiculous levels ?? If you want to shoot 38 specials or 44 specials buy the right FREAKING brass. THE END.

Reloading is not an EXPERIMENT, it's an exact science that can't be modified because you're too cheap to buy the right components, or don't have the right components on hand.

REV

I disagree, reloading is an experiment based on a science. Most handloaders experiment to get a load that performs to the accuracy or power level that they desire, then you get into the ones who cast their own and add a whole other level of experimentation. A lot of people prefer not to use spl brass in their magnums because of residue building up in the chamber. Also by your logic Elmer Keith should have never attempted to build the 357, 41, and 44 magnums or made Ruger only loads for the 45 Colt. Myself I like to see the results of people loading ammunition for their personal use that lives up to THEIR standards.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Actually I was referring to the seating of the bullet to 44 special OAL in a 44 magnum case. I don't think you'll find doing that in ANY reloading manual ... at least I never have ... and I have dozens of them.

The experimenting you speak of is a given ... doing anything like the above is not.

REV

Latest posts