Lefty Wish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
With Ruger seeming to run all the No. 1s through Lipsey's as limited-run models, what would it take to get them to do the following?

A left hand American Rifle Compact, or better yet, Ranch Rifle, in a nice short range deer caliber, like .35 Rem, .44 Mag, .450 Bushmaster, or a light mid-range caliber like .243 Win., 6.5 Grendell, .260 Rem., 6.5 Creedmore, or even 7mm-08? Or the thumper .358 Win.? OK, I don't think I'd really want to spend alot of time at the range with a 16" 5.5 pound .358. But the .35 or .260 Rem. would be sweet.

There are precious few left hand carbines out there, and while I'm sure Ruger wouldn't sell a boatload of them, I'd think, given that lefties are starved for both rifle and caliber options, the affordable American Rifle in such configuration would sell well, at least for a limited run model. They do have a left-hand American action, so it would seem to me all they'd need to do would be to stick the short barrel on it, at least for the Compact model.

Much as I'd like another #1 in .44 Mag. or .275 Rigby (that's just cool) to go with my 6.5 Swede, I'm not likely to buy another $1,000 deer rifle with nice wood in the next couple years. Give me a left-handed carbine .35 or .260 Rem. @ about $350-$400 that I don't mind taking out in the rain for 2 or 3 days, well, that's another story entirely.

I'd have snapped up one of those sweet little CZ 7.62 x 39mm carbines years ago, despite my luke-warm opinion of the caliber, if they'd made it on a left-hand action, but CZ never seemed inclined to do so. I've also pondered the Savage offerings, and while I understand they are perfectly decent rifles, I just haven't warmed up to them. I think Ruger could bring out the Left Hand American Ranch Rifle at a substantially lower ticket price than the Czech gun and even less than the Savage 11 / 111 and grab an admitted small market that has been, in my opinion at least, almost completely overlooked. Yes, the Axis is available on a left hand action, but not in anything less than a 22" barrel, and not in 6.5 Grendell, .35 Rem., 44 Mag. or .450.

I'm sure I'm not the only thinking the same thing.

hittman

Staff member
I'm a lefty. I've learned to shoot the right handed guns or avoid things like bolt actions in favor of semi-auto's or pumps.

It's estimated that only 8 percent of us are left handed. It's also estimated there are 55 million gun owners in America. Eight percent of that is roughly 4.5 million people. On one hand I'd think 4.5 million potential buyers may be a market to chase. On the other hand, I doubt there'd be enough interest to make it profitable.

RSIno1

Hunter
Ruger won't even consider it if they won't sell a boatload of them. No1 is the closest to a LH gun they make. They pitch it as LH friendly but it would be better if the L&R walls were the same height. Way back when I stepped up and bought a German LH weatherby MKV. Not a carbine but one that will never leave the collection.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Unless a "boatload" was 250 or so, not gonna happen. A shop did recently have their own run of American rifles done in .450 Bushmaster so things can be done so long as someone is willing to put the $ up for them. Now if someone was so certain of their idea being a sure thing, I encourage them to go for it. Variety can be good.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Why not just buy one of the regular 22" barreled RAR's in your desired short action and cut the barrel down? I realize it's added cost, but Ruger has one a pretty good supply of left handed rifles, as compared to a lot of other manufacturers. My son has the left handed 22" "stainless" .30-06 and it's a decent rifle for the price.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
planetcat said:
Why not just buy one of the regular 22" barreled RAR's in your desired short action and cut the barrel down? I realize it's added cost, but Ruger has one a pretty good supply of left handed rifles, as compared to a lot of other manufacturers. My son has the left handed 22" "stainless" .30-06 and it's a decent rifle for the price.
I agree. Ruger does offer more left-handed bolt guns than almost anyone except maybe Savage. I have a stainless steel left handed American in .223 Rem and a stainless left handed Gunsite Scout in ,223Rem/5.56 NATO. The GSS is short barreled (16.1") but is far more expensive than the American.

As above, buy the American in whatever caliber you want, 7-08 is available, and have the barrel shortened to your liking. It shouldn't cost much. Or have it rebarreled to what ever cartridge matches the bolt face.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
Ruger won't even consider it if they won't sell a boatload of them. No1 is the closest to a LH gun they make. They pitch it as LH friendly but it would be better if the L&R walls were the same height. Way back when I stepped up and bought a German LH weatherby MKV. Not a carbine but one that will never leave the collection.

You do realize that Ruger makes several different bolt action rifles in left handed configurations don't you?

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
mxkop said:
My Lefty wish from Ruger is a LH M77 RSI chambered in .260rem with the old style tang safety!

What he said. For that, I'd spend the $$$ and have the nice wood.

But the idea of just buying the 22" American and having it cut down to say 18" and recrowned is not a bad idea at all.