Left Hand Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless Laminated .375 Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vol423

Bearcat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was scanning the subject lines and didn't see anything about this subject. I am sure that all lefties know that Ruger makes a few Left hand M77s, and will make some short action left hand guns this spring. If you interest is larger game, you probably are aware that Ruger makes a left hand .375 Ruger African. It is blued with a walnut stock. What you may not have heard is that in 2008 Ruger made a short run of fewer than 100 units of a left hand M77 stainless Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. It has a black/gray laminated stock and Express iron sights just like the right-hand Ruger Alaskan. Talk about a perfect big game rifle for a lefty! Where else is there a controlled round feed, left hand stainless .375? That's the good news. The bad news is that they sold out quickly. I contacted Ruger to see if they planned to make any more, and they do not. Some people have them and are using them, but as you can imagine they are not letting them go. Occasionally one pops up for sale, and they bring a pretty price.

Normally production runs are in quantities of 250 or more. I have yet to determine why the production run was so small for this unit. I have wondered if perhaps someone with the right contacts wanted a gun in this configuration and had the influence to make it happen. Can anyone think of a name in the shooting sports arena who is left handed and who has a relationship with Ruger? Can you spell Boddington?

Ruger produced over 8000 rifles in .375 Ruger caliber in 2008, but why these few left hand guns? They are far more practical than the left hand African. I can't think that Ruger's intention was to produce an instant collector's item. Their business should be to sell as many units as possible.

Any thoughts?

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger makes many things for many different reasons. Some limited production, some not. Just par for the course for any multiple model sales business. This may have also been some sort of market test.
This is the first time however that I've heard they made such a laminated .375 in a lefty.
Since Ruger has now cataloged a "lefty" laminated stock in their Hawkeye series (calibers .25-06, .270, 7mm, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag.) would not be surprised if Ruger brings the lefty .375 laminated out as a standard offering as well.
Am also curious how you found out that Ruger made 8,000 Hawkeye rifles in .375 Ruger. The company usually does not give out that information.
If you hear of any SN's of this rare model, please send me a PM so we can get it documented in our reference. I would also be curious as to Ruger's actual model number of this rare model.
Chet15

rudyortiz

Bearcat
I just ran into this discussion and I have info on the 375 Ruger Hawkeye Laminated SS you were discussing.

I happen to be one of the lucky few that stumbled across one of these rifles at SGC in Georgia. I bought mine about Dec. of 2008. The Catalog # is HKM77LRSBBZ and the model is 17100.

I had prevoiusly bought a rifle from them and was looking for a 375 Ruger and saw it on their website. They had 6 at the time and a week later they had none.

If you can get your hands on one, do it. It is the all time greatest big game rifle combination ( SS, Laminated, 20" Barrel, 375 Ruger) . I have a 1.75 - 6 Leupold on mine and is perfect for it.

Good luck.
Rudy

vol423

Bearcat
Of the approximately 100 guns made, I bought over half of them. Now I only have six left and I received calls in the last two days for two more of them. I have listings for this model on both Guns International and GunsAmerica, and an auction of Gunbroker. If you want one, you'd better act now as no more will be made. Contact me on the numbers listed on the GI, GA or GB websites.

Allan

rudyortiz

Bearcat
Bearcat: I looked at Gunsamerica and I see the Ruger #1 rifles in 375 Ruger #1 but don't see the 375 Ruger Hawkeye I was describing. Which do you have?
Rudy

rudyortiz

Bearcat
Yep ! I see them now. Noty sure why they didn't show up on my initial search. I know Gunbroker is really finiky about how it will display depending on what words you use.

Anyway, that is great you were able to snag so many. And now I know someone that has them. I bought mine for $599 and knew it was a steal.
Regards,
Rudy

rudyortiz

Bearcat
By the way Bearcat, did you snag the 50 or so rifles from the different distributors or are you a distributor yourself? I only ask because I figure if you snagged that many, you must know the story behihnd them.
Rudy

vol423

Bearcat
I'm a dealer. I bought the first several from about 10 distributors, then the rest came via one distributor directly from Ruger's inventory. I've been told that some influential left handed people in the gun business wanted this model and had enough clout to get Ruger to start the run. From the regional Ruger rep, I learned that Ruger didn't get enough early orders from distributors and cancelled the run. Both could be true. I just don't know. I can echo the earlier posting about this being an extremely well-balanced gun. My rifle handles more like a well-made shotgun that a DGR. I have handled a left hand Ruger African with a 23" barrel and there is no comparison. The 20" barreled Alaskan is by far easier to swing and easier to mount. I have used a 1.5-5X Leupold and a 3-9 Zeiss scope on mine and they both have their places. The gun shoots flat enough to justify the 9X magnification. If I had but one scope it would be the 1.5-5X. I couldn't argue with a 1.75-6, however.

rudyortiz

Bearcat
It would be interesting to know whether Mr. Boddington does in fact have one of them.

It appears lefties are so badly cared for by most of the gun industry, it would not surprise me they feared they wouldn't be able to sell them, being not only LH but a new " Big Bore" cartridge as well and gave up on them. What a mistake that was if that is, in fact, how it went down.

It occurs to me your success, and the success of others in selling them, should be strong evidence to distributors and Ruger alike they should, once again, make another batch. I truly believe this rifle to be the ne ultra plus of DG/Big Game rifles. It has it all.

It also occurs to me Ruger would start making the 375 Ruger in laminated stocked, SS in RH a standard model.

Oh well. All I know is I'm glad I have mine.

vol423

Bearcat
It's a little off topic, but I wonder what a sequential serial numbered set is worth compared to a single rifle price. I have three sequential numbers that I'm keeping for myself, but my last shipment had two sequential guns that I may sell. What multiple of a single gun price would you think they're worth? 2.5? 3?....

rudyortiz

Bearcat
Bearcat: I hadn't looked a the post for awhile but wanted to get back to you. I'm not a collector so consecutive numbers have no additional value to me except as a novelty like "Oh, how about that". You might want to ask for the opinion of those who are collectors.
Rudy