Left hand Elk rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
I'm considering going on a guided Elk hunt in a few years. I'm left handed and have a M77 MKII in 30-06. I'm considering getting a left handed .300 Win Mag. For Elk, would blue or stainless be a better finish? I'm thinking of hunting in Wyoming, so there could be snow/ rain. Would the M77 in .300 mag be the right choice?

Might look at a levergun. They are pretty much southpaw friendly. Look to something in 45-70. I prefer the Marlin Stainless Guide Gun, it handles harsh weather very well. The new 1895 SBL is a stainless with a laminate stock, and these stocks seem to shake off wet weather as well as the stainless steel.

mattsbox99

Hunter
No need for the .300 Win Mag, the .30-06 is plenty for Elk out here.

Stainless still needs to be taken care of, but its whatever you prefer really, there is no advantage to either. I have no idea what part of Wyoming would ever have snow or rain in October or November unless you are right on top of a mountain.

I won't talk you out of a new gun, I think a 338 MX would make a dandy Elk levergun if you decide to go with a levergun, but there is very little you can not do with a .30/06.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
30-06 will work fine. 300 mag(any of them) will also work. another choice would be a 338mag or 338federal. A number of years ago I spent 5 days in a blizzard in Sept in Wy. This year friends spent the week in snow in Col/Wy in early Nov. So you never know. Blue to stainless it is up to you. Just have a quality scope on it. I take a back up rifle when possible so get a 300 to go with the 30-06 if you want.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

While I prefer to shoot big bores just for the fun of it -- 460 Wby, 500 A-Square, 550 Mag, 585 Nyati -- they are not really needed for elk.

Have taken lots of similar African plains game with 30-06 using Nosler Partitions and Swift A-frames.

My son took a 6x6 elk with a 308 Winchester with Nosler 180 Partitions.

However, with total respect for Keith, would not personally go after elk with anything less than 338 bore and 250 grain.

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I hunt elk with a left handed bolt action Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06.

Dad killed dozens wityh a Remington 760 Gamemaster pump in 30-06.

It would be completely adequate out to 300 yards or so.

What more could you want?

DLH

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I would use your 30-06. You probably shoot it well and are comfortable with it.

That said it always great to get a new rifle. I would buy as soon as you can so you can practice a lot with it.

The .300 mag is not that much bigger (size wise than your 30-06) but it will feel bigger due to the longer barrel 2 inches and chamber.

It will take time for you to get comfortable with it in the field.

Stainless or blue is your choice. The blue with wood stock feels heavier to me than the stainless. The new Hawkeye stainless has worked great for me this year some say it is not as durable as the old brushed stainless but I hunted hard with mine this year and it is still flawless.

I have killed all my elk with my 30-06. They all went down quickly. The 30-06 is plenty of gun. I also have hunted with the .300 mag and if you can shoot it well it of course to is plenty adequate. The M77 22 inch barrel 30-06 just feels right to me. Nice small, compact powerful package.

Good luck with your shopping and your final choice any of the mentioned rifles will work. Elk hunting is as about as fun as it gets.

Good shooting-Steve

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
A 300 will get you about 100yds more useable range with the trade off of more gun weight and length (usually) assuming you can shoot it as well. More recoil, muzzle blast, range time, and cost stand against the last part.
I'm going through the same decision process for a fall 2010 elk hunt. Comes down to two valid arguements for me. Use "old reliable" of an adequate caliber which the 30-06 surely is and concentrate on the other aspects of the hunt. Or, because you have scrimped and saved time and money, invested in all the planning for what may be the hunt of a lifetime, you want to use the best tools available. You want to be able to take any reasonable shot because you might only get one chance. If you are not confident enough with the 300's ability to give you an advantage in the field over your 30-06, then I say don't use it.
I guess it boils down to what you want in the picture w/ your elk;).