lee safety press?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Has anyone used the lee safety press. My kit came with one instead of the hand priming tool I thought it came with. It looks like it would be more complicated to use than a hand priming tool. Should I just forget this thing and buy a hand priming tool or does this thing work.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I went to the Lee site and couldn't find anything called a "Lee Safety Press" so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Could you post a pic or go to the Lee site: http://www.leeprecision.com/
and point me to the part you're talking about?

I might be able to comment then. I have used several of the Lee priming tools, and am familiar with their functions.

Joe

Landric

Bearcat
If you are talking about the Safety Prime, its not complicated to use, attach it to the press, and use it to plop a primer in the cup at the end of the down stroke on either the resizing or belling step, the seat the primer at the end of the up stroke. It avoids the extra step of hand priming and it works very well in my experience.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Sorry. I meant Lee Safety prime. I was typing while I was home for lunch and just now got back on the computer.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I believe he is referring to the lee safety prime. It does work as advertised. I just don't like to prime on the press. I prefer the hand priming tool. You don't get a good feel of the primer seating with press priming. Also I like to prep my brass before I need it. I will size then sit in front of the tv and prime them. When I need ammo I just dump powder and seat a bullet.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Get a hand primer. It will shrink your group size. You can do as I do and prime your brass as you watch TV so it really is not another step or takes up a bunch of time. Prep your brass in lots and you will speed up theings. I have brass all sized then hand primers so when I want to load I can just load the powder and bullet and be done.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I have the safety prime, and just bought a hand primer. They both work, I think I can get a pretty good feel priming on the press, I just adjust the handle to be shorter when priming. Reducing the leverage let me get a better feel. The hand prime tool works well, and lets me prime on the couch like others have said. For me, they're a "six of one, half dozen of the other" type of deal.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Kyhunt,

The Lee Safety prime is the one Lee priming tool I haven't used.

I do have a pair of Lee Auto Prime hand tools, and a couple of ram prime tools that work very well. For much of my priming I've gotten away from the press and just use the hand tool. They work great and once you get the feel are very consistent.

Joe

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Like many here, I have not used the Safety Prime tool. I do have a Lee ram prime tool in case I should suffer the same curse that got Weshoot2 and I break both my Lee Auto-prime tools in the same day...

Personally, I'm among those who prefers a hand tool to other systems. Whether it's a Lee or RCBS doesn't make that much difference to me. If it's a Lee, be sure to lube it per the instructions, or it WILL give up on you! The one I use most has many thousands of rounds thru it and works just fine.

This is one of those "many ways to skin a cat" things you'll find in the reloading world, so try a tool or so and see what YOU like! Fortunately, you won't be out much money if you don't like one or another...

Rick C

RugerSP101

Single-Sixer
Kyhunt":u4r8q6pm said:
Has anyone used the lee safety press. My kit came with one instead of the hand priming tool I thought it came with. It looks like it would be more complicated to use than a hand priming tool. Should I just forget this thing and buy a hand priming tool or does this thing work.
If its the Ram Prime kit its probably slower than the other, but it isnt complicated at all. I got one with my Lee Hand Press and it works just fine :)

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I also use 2 Lee auto primes. Set up for large and small. Process all brass, so all that I need to do is powder and seat bullet. I am parinoid about trusting progressive presses to put powder in cases. but thats me, greg :)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Divernhunter":1dvjzmxl said:
Get a hand primer. It will shrink your group size.
Ok, I gotta ask: How is a hand primer supposed to shrink your group size?

FWIW, I use both the Safety Prime on my press when I'm doing it that way, and an RCBS hand primer when I need to do it off-press, for whatever reason.

-- Sam

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":1ko6ltqt said:
Divernhunter":1ko6ltqt said:
Get a hand primer. It will shrink your group size.
Ok, I gotta ask: How is a hand primer supposed to shrink your group size?

-- Sam

If used correctly, both will seat primers consistently. However, it's easier to seat them more consistently with a hand primer. The trick is to seat all your primers exactly the same, with the primer anvil pressed into the priming compound exactly the same. Any variations in seating depth/anvil compression leads to a potentially different primer flash, and different powder burn. Some people find that a hand primer allows them to do that better than a press-mounted option.

comanche

Bearcat
I have and use both the hand-held AutoPrime and the SafetyPrime.
As you should know, Lee has specific rules and warnings about brands of primers used with the Auto Prime. For example..NO FEDERALS.
So, when using Federal Premium Match primers, I use the Safety Prime on my single stage Classic Cast.
Oh, and always wear my eye protection.

WOW< post # 357 makes me want to pull out an old model Blackhawk and take it for a walk.