Lee Production Pot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I am in the market for a lead melting pot and have been looking at the Lee. Is this a good choice, or is there another that I should consider? I want a bottom drop furnace.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, while I don't have much Lee equipment,, I do have a Lee lead melting pot. Way back when I was younger, without much $$ to spend,, I bought mine. It has lasted me a long time,, but it has been used off & on over the years. Usually I cast a bunch,, then don't bother for months,,!
The temp dial setting could be better by having temps vs lines for the adjustment dial. You have to guess at the temp unless you have a thermometer. A few times the shut-off nozzle has not shut it off like it's supposed to. But,, for an inexpensive unit,, it will work very well.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
"A few times the shut-off nozzle has not shut it off like it's supposed to. But,, for an inexpensive unit,, it will work very well."

Yeah., mine too - the shut off nozzle DOESN'T sometimes. :lol: But for an inexpensive unit, it's okay. Mostly I use my Lee Production pot for casting ingots of the perfect (IMO) alloy, which I later re-melt in the home-made pot on my Coleman stove. That's the way I learned bullet casting, a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove, and I just never got used to doing it any other way.

GP100man

Buckeye
I use 2 cavity molds mainly , sometimes 1 & they get heavy enuff that when I empty my 10# pot I`m ready for a break!!

If I was useimg a 6 holer I`d probably go with the 20# pot , consider your needs , even future needs & decide .

Another aspect is I use different alloys for revolver boolits than some rifle boolits , so emptying the 10# pot is easier.

I started on a homemade cooker outfit & an electric furnace makes it more enjoyable & I seem to keep the area alot cleaner with the bottom pour !

There`s a learnin curve but it`ll go by qwik & I have`nt thrown my ladle out , some molds just work better with the dipper!

Always melt your alloys in a different pot to ingotize em , put as clean an alloy as ya can into the castin pot , it`ll save a bunch of headaches!!!

A thermometer is a must for consistent results & repeatablity .
I will say I cast a long time without 1 but now won`t without it !

2 peices of safety advise ALWAYS wear safety glasses !!!
& NEVER add cold alloys to a hot pot!!
I lay mine across the pot to warm up (dry off) before addin em for an extended castin session.

Here`s a site that may intrest ya!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

& hers a few of the revolver boolits that I cast except the 2 on the rt. I`m trying those out before ordering a mold.
102_0245.jpg

Cary

Single-Sixer
I've had one of the Lee Pro 4-20 pots for maybe ten years now and have been pleased with the performance. No it is is not perfect but few things are. The only problem I have had is the valve dripping at times as has been mentioned. This is the only furnace I have had contact with so I am unaware if others brands have this problem or not. One thing I do know is that Lee products enabled me to get into casting at an affordable price. 90% of my bullet molds are Lee as well.
Cary

COR

Blackhawk
Great pot, but they do drip a little (no big deal). I use one of the 10lb bottom pours and it does all I need. I would get the 20lb if I had to do it again.

You will want a better one eventually but it's agreat way to get started at a reasonable cost.

The thermometer is very helpful and will save you some frustration, but it can be done without it.